“Exotic, risky and - for someone - charming”

Centara Nova Hotel & Spa Pattaya
Ranked #53 of 442 Hotels in Pattaya
Tomsk, Russia
“Exotic, risky and - for someone - charming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Well, it took us several days to find a short and quite safe way to get from the hotel to the beach. It is indeed not that far but truly inconvenient and yes - it is almost surrounded with slums - we've walked them all when got lost the first and the second days. If I ever go to Pattaya again, which I strongly doubt now, I wouldn't stay here due to this reason firstly. All the other reasons can be explained simply: there is no use comparing Europe and Asia. Everything you enjoyed in Europe is faked in Asia. Drinks, food, furniture, personnel speaking English... It looks like real, but it turns out it just looked. Though, you knew you headed to Asia, no complains, take it or leave it. So, briefly, top 5 we liked and disliked there.

Dislikes:
- the hotel's location,
- service is average, we expected it to be better, though, honestly, now we feel it might have been worth,
- not enough comfort and safety - it only partially depends on the hotel staff, but still. Lots of Indians, Americans, Russians, some guests from North Europe. Most of them very noisy, annoying, the first ones also impolite and interfering - the glory fame of the resort is felt inside the hotel as well. And yes, those who wondered in reviews about Thai girls in the pool - they are. They are both at work there and guests, so if you don't enjoy the company it is you who is to avoid it. It feels like it goes without saying - it comes with the city!
- the food. If you aren't a fun of local food, there isn't mush for you in the menu you'd appreciate. Even if it looks like european, it doesn't taste like what you expected. So, you'd better dine somewhere else.
- the staff. I can't say I'm truly disappointed, but even speaking English I felt like no one understands me at all sometimes. Though the staff is nicely trained and friendly and all - you are to repeat slowly and simply several times, to check if you are understood right and then find out it is still quite right. It's good the personnel is polite and nice, but I would rather be told "Sorry, don't get you" than confusing smiles. Though I don't blame them, it just was hard as we never expected to face such troubles. You just have to take it and keep in mind.

Likes:
- the hotel looks rather exotic, just as well as the whole city. It's different and says a lot about the country and its people. At this point neighboring slums can also seem exotic and interest evoking.
- the rooms are not that big as you may expect looking at the pictures, but good enough to spend a night - the same goes for everything inside the rooms and balconies.
- nearby the hotel you can find most things you may need - 24*7 shops, service, exchange offices, bike taxi - though afraid, we tried the taxi and enjoyed it from that time on.
- if you are not picky, there is a spa and gym in the hotel. We never tried, though initially planed. Still, it didn't feel safe enough after the pool.
- it doesn't correspond with what we expected from a 4 star hotel, but again - it might have been worth.

Some extra comments:

The hotel guide from Pegasus was a complete failure:rude, uninformative, forgot to inform us about the departure time... We felt great pity to those Russians who didn't speak English and depended on him greatly. So ,travel yourself, it's cheaper and safer.

What disappointed the most? The life there, the way people slave and sell whatever - even kids - to survive. No judgement, but I couldn't but take it to heart, so no peace or rest. The way the sea and the nature on the whole is treated made us truly grieve to the heart. There is a sea you can't swim in, but have to take a bout to a distant island, the city embankment is ruined, dirt and plastic garbage everywhere.. I wonder where if someone called Thailand an Eden, it's no way. To say nothing about morals and laws violated there just everywhere. No safety. No rest. Unless you got used to it.

p.s. If we didn't meet accidentally some nice people - both local and emigrants, I wouldn't get much about the country and the city, it's just thanks to their truly friendly and warm attitude that I still have mixed impressions, without there would be negative only.

Room Tip: We spent a night in a room on the ground floor just in front of the pool. Despite of late night ther...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank EugeniAblogina
Jonas S, General Manager at Centara Nova Hotel & Spa Pattaya, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. If you arrive to Thailand with same expectations you have in Europe you will face some challenges! One major challenge is the English. As you have experienced the English language is not spoken by as many as we are use to in Europe. The Thai culture and ways are very different from Europe. In communication and discussion they many times dont want to "loose face", meaning answering wrong or saying they dont know. This many times creates miss understandings.

In our A la carte menu we offer over 30 different "western dishes" so I do not agree that we dont have a various selection or good European taste.
In my opinion Thailand is the best service minded and friendliest country in all Asia, but i have also had the opportunity to live her the last 10 year and be close to the most amazing Thai persons around. I can only hope you can experience the greatness here as I and i believe most of the other tourists are, and I remain,

Sincerely Yours,
Jonas Sjostedt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
SOUTHAMPTON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed here for 8 nights .The staff are great the rooms clean but for me thats it .The location is not good crossing or walking up the road is a bit of a night mare.Twice our room was not cleaned once was our own fault as we left the do not clean our room up by accident,which is easy to do .This is a 4 star hotel it did not come close to the 3 star plus centara hotel we stayed in in Chiang mai .we did meet the manager nice man but did not really give us a chance to air our views . If you are wanting a large room with a great view it may not be for,if you are looking for small and friendly they may be it is. SORRY to say i would not stay here again . Just ok Paula ENGLAND

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PAULA S
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on your stay with us last year. We have a free of charge golf cart that drives all day long between our hotel and our sister hotel - Centara Pattaya Hotel. This service is used for all guests who wants to get a quick ride ( 2 minutes ) and come closer to Soi 4 and can then easy walk to the beach. All our rooms are facing the Pool Area and the guests who prefer the biggest room type we recommend the 1 Bed Room Suite.
We hope you will give us the chance to welcome you back again, and if you do please mail me before on nvp@chr.co.th
and i remain,
Sincerely Yours
Jonas Sjostedt
South Florida, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I booked one day here. I wanted to check it out before committing to a longer stay. I ended up staying just the one day. Here's why:

1. Terrible location. The location is in the middle of a poor, dilapidated neighborhood. I wouldn't say it is dangerous, but you won't feel like you are on holiday here. Its quite hard to find, even for locals and there is almost NOTHING nearby. It's a long walk to anywhere. Location wise, this is about as bad as it gets in Pattaya. Strange as it may seem, I would have stayed here if this had been the only problem. It wasn't.

2. Bizarre behavior from pool restaurant staff. I asked for the happy hour menu and specifically asked if wine was included in the buy one get one free deal. I was told that it was and ordered two glasses. Two glasses arrived. I took a drink from one. The waiter came back and said he made a mistake and that wine was not included in the 2 for 1 happy hour AND TOOK BACK THE TWO GLASSES! Unbelievable! Was he going to pour them back into the bottle after I drank from them? When you make this kind of mistake at a restaurant and the beverages have already been served YOU DON'T TAKE THEM BACK! I don't know where they were trained, but the server told me his manager told him to do it, so the incompetent service goes up pretty high.

I also saw some Russian women that had brought their own wine to the pool. The waiter got into a loud argument with them that made me very uncomfortable. They were told that they could not drink their own beverages at the pool and had to buy them from the restaurant. The women were quite rude, I agree, but still. You can't bring your own drink and sit by the hotel pool? Bad policy.

3. Breakfast is not included and ridiculously expensive by local standards. If you happen to be here already, you can find a reasonably priced breakfast by walking out the front of the hotel and turning right and walking about 100m down the road. It will be less than 1/3 the price.

4. The room is a bit below average for a four star room. The furniture in the room I had was quite worn. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't four star. Maybe three. The lighting in the bathroom is MUCH too dim. Ladies won't be happy doing makeup in here. I also killed a large cockroach in the bathroom. I suppose this is because the rooms are all exterior facing, so it's fairly easy for an insect to crawl under the door. Otherwise, the cleanliness was acceptable.

5. As other reviewers have noted, they will ID your girlfriend as if she was a hooker. I observed this several times. It doesn't matter if you tell them that she is your girlfriend or not. If she looks like a Thai, she'll get the hooker treatment. They will take her Thai ID and keep it until she checks out. You will have to sign an unregistered guest document. No amount of explaining will help. The woman at the desk wasn't friendly about it either.

OK, there are some good points about this hotel. The internet worked well. The Dead Sea SPA was FANTASTIC. The food in the restaurant was quite good. They have a Thai Sabai Sabai cocktail at the pool bar that costs 50 baht and is really very nice. (The other drinks are more expensive, however.)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TomA2
Jonas S, Manager at Centara Nova Hotel & Spa Pattaya, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write these comments. We have noted with concern your comments about the services by the pool as well as rooms and visitors policy. Please rest assured that we are committed and are working hard to continuously improve the quality of our service.

We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back as our guests in the nearby future.

Lanark, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Im writing this review on my last day of a 2 week stay. The staff here are wonderfull - very friendly and accomodating. The room that we have stayed in is regarded as a basic room, but it is pretty large compared to others we have stayed in, theres a lovely en suite with a rain shower and a small balcony. I had a fabulous 3 hour treatment at the Dead Sea Spa which costs Id pay at home for a 1 hour treatment (about 40 sterling). Yes, it is a wee bit away from the centre of Pattaya, but the golf cart will take you for free. We would have liked a small bar for a nightcap after a busy day/evening, but overall a great hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are pool facing, we were on the 4th floor, which was fine - but noise DOES carry from all...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emilyrorke
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write these comments. It is such a pleasure to receive compliments about our hotel and services. Nearby future there will be a big shopping mall close to the area, There will be more good places to sit and relax.

May we take this opportunity to thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again for a more pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Not that Bad, courtious staff...they helped in getting us good rooms close to pool as we had a kid along.

They helped us with some great preparations on veg meals at breakfast( we informed them a day earlier though).

Overall a good property to stay but a bit far from beach....

could not find any shopping area nearby...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gaurav225
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write these comments. It is such a pleasure to receive compliments about our staffs and services. These comments have been passed to them and are greatly appreciated. Nearby future there will be a big shopping mall close to the area, we hope you will be more exiting to come back again.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

This hotel is quite new and the room I got is of reasonable size and furnished. The location is in city central but is on a side street, 10 to 15 minutes walk will take you to the main shopping street and beach. Staff were all very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast was of reasonable quality and variety.

Room Tip: All rooms are pool facing. Higher floor could be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank johnHongKong_China
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the nice comments. We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back as our guests in the nearby future, and we remain.

Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

My fHusband, my 2 kids and I went to Pattaya last week for 4 nights after visiting Bangkok and the north of Thailand. The hotel is very clean (relatively new) and the rooms are well furnished and not small at all. the beds are very comfortable and you have FLAT screen TV on the room with a big choice of International channels. The breakfast was fresh and good. Whenever you ask, there is a free schuttle from/to the other Centara hotel called Pattaya. This later is close to the beach.

The hotel is relatively close to the main street called Pattaya road. we never used taxi to go the well-known mall called "Central Festival" and it took just 10 min walk for us. To be honest, I didn't notice any negative points for that hotel. YOu get for what you paid for.

We highly recommand that hotel, especially if you are looking for a good Quality price ratio and good location. I should precise that you are very close to the best place where you can have the best and cheapest massage in Pattaya (only 100 Baht for 1 Hour with good smile and high kindness). You will enjoy it and come back everyday, I am sure! The salon is called "Maimuang Massage", The address is SOL 13 / Soi Buakhao and their phone number is 083-5525792. Just call them and they will guide you.

Room Tip: There are many connected rooms for family with children
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Djam94
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write these comments. It is such a pleasure to receive compliments about our hotel and services. Nearby future there will be a big shopping mall close to the area, we hope you will be more exiting to come back again.