“Let down by staff”

Ranked #50 of 447 Hotels in Pattaya
Bangkok, Thailand
“Let down by staff”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Initially tried to book online with it website but it did not work, then got the telephone number and tried to book with reservations but could only get the reception who said they would get reservations to call us back which they never did. Finally booked with LateRooms.com which at the booking it was agreed I would pay at reception when I got to the hotel.
After using the Google Maps which points to Centara Pattaya not the Centara Nova) we managed to locate the hotel a little bit away thanks to the parking attendants of the Various Nova Hotels nearby.
On check in which was quick and efficient, with Shirley however she then informs me that she has already processed my payment with my credit card (which I did no want) she proceeds to show me my booking saying non refundable and non transferable which I agreed it was however not on my credit card if I showed up just if I did not show up.
Shirley then informed me she will cancel it straight away (she did not more to follow on check out)
Booked the 1 bed room suite which was great lovely rooms all te rooms overlook the quiet pool, room was spotless, only 1 downside was there was some glass in the shower unit not sure where it came from possibly from the backlight but couldn't see where picked it all up luckily this was not a child. Overall housekeeping was delightful.
Went downstairs late at night and ordered a beer, waited for over 10 minutes since it was not busy asked where my beer was suddenly they realised nobody had come with it, not a great selection of beers.
Hotel is in a run down neighbourhood and is not well known with the motorbike taxis since it is so new, but the hotel looks really nice and I am well impressed with the hotel, but not so much of the staff.
We booked only 1 night but decided to stay another extra night spoke again to Shirley and she took a little time to understand myself what I was asking.
CHECKOUT when it came to check out I went to pay my bill I was charged for only 1 night when I reminded them that I stayed 2 nights and not 1 I spoke with the so called manager who was not in a uniform (just a Centara T shirt) nor did she have any name badge on to identify.
I was most impressed with the hotel however not the staff...

Room Tip: Higher floors to avoid noise from the pool not that it is bad
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jonas S, Manager at Centara Nova Hotel & Spa Pattaya, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write these comments about our hotel and services. We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy the service of staff. There is a policy on the Asia room website to use the same credit card to settle the bill and no-refundable, which our staff had explain upon arrival. However we had refunded the amount charged back to your credit card accordingly.

We did not have information regarding the inconvenience you experience during the stayed, but this has been fixed and we ensure that the service has been improved. We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back as our guests in the nearby future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We recently stayed here for 8 days and got a really good deal. The hotel is set away from everything, but a 5 minute walk or free shuttle service to the sister hotel will get you to the 2nd road soi 6 and you can pick up a bhat taxi really easily. True some of the locals are not sure where it is located but the hotel give you a card with the hotel details on and we had no problems getting taxis back to hotel. The breakfast was average, however themomlette station and fruit was great. The hotel staff were all really polite, friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms face the pool, try to get floor 6 or 7 as the lower floors could get pool noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 523mel
Jonas S, General Manager at Centara Nova Hotel & Spa Pattaya, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write these comments, i posted them on our staff board for everyone to see. We hope we will have the chance to welcome you as our guests in the nearby future again, and I remain,

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I booked this hotel because of some of the reviews,as the old saying goses you cannot please everyone all the time.
The bed was a decent size and very comfortable.The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
The free shuttle service is handy ,There are plenty of bars and eating places,Give the hotel a go. Did not try the fitness centre,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank fellowes2014
Jonas S, General Manager at Centara Nova Hotel & Spa Pattaya, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the nice comments. We hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back as our guests in the nearby future, and I remain,

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel the day before coming to Thailand and stayed for two nights. The room we was in was spacious, looked like it wasn't old at all as there was no sign of wear. All the staff were very polite. (Our favourite "Bow") I would stay here again at a heartbeat. It is a little of the beaten track but doesn't take long to walk into the main part of town or grab a moped taxi from 50bht (worth the experience)
Only negative is it is in a shanty part of town. Although people are all very nice and you feel safe walking through. Thank you

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write these nice comments about our hotel and service. For your next visit please use our free shuttle between this hotel and our nearby sister hotel, Centara Pattaya Hotel, the drive takes only a few minutes but makes the Soi 2 and the beach distance much shorter to walk. There is plenty developments in this area, next big in line is the new shopping center that will be built nearby, which will be a great value for everyone staying in Centara Nova Hotel&Spa. Sunny Thai regards from all of us, and I remain,

Sincerely Yours
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This hotel is not ideally situated - a few derelict buildings around it, and is not close to the beach. The hotel does offer a free shuttle to its sister hotel the Centara Beach Hotel which is easy walking distance to the sea and the facilities.
The rooms are good but I did have trouble with the bed and the internet kept dopping out, which was unfortunate ( and annoying), as I use it for business as well.
The staff are very nice and helpful, without being intrusive, and as I drove my car from Ayutthaya to Pattaya I found the underground garage both safe and secure. Again the staff on duty there were very good.
Good value for money

Room Tip: Only stayed in one room but all rooms overlook the swimming pool area.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Clive T
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for the feed back and good comments. We have added several routers in order to make the Free Wifi connection more stable. As the Wifi is used by many at the same time, it is not fast enough for down loading of heavy files, movies or games. We recommend to use the computers in the Lobby for this (free of charge). Your kind comments about our staff and their performance have been shared on our staff board. Thank you again and we hope to have a chance to welcome you back as our guest in the nearby future, and I remain,

Sincerely Yours
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I booked this hotel from agoda.com for a night staying just coz of the cheap rate, but it is unexpectedly good.

We arrived Bangkok late in the midnight and directly picked a car and drove to Pattaya, and thats why we chose this hotel in low rate for 1 night staying before moving to another hotels in coming days. the location is a bit hard to reach as a first time driver to Pattaya coz the google map didnt show an accurate location of the hotel, so it spent us a few time to reach the hotel. but then we discovered the hotel is located in somewhere located in the centre of Pattaya in coming days where is quite convenient, and nearby the main road in Pattaya. also, lots of hotels located in the area such as Amari Nova too.

This is my second time to stay in the hotels under Centara group, and the first time was in Centara Grand, the so-called five stars located in central world, which is totally disappointing me. this Centara Nova hotel is under the group but in boutique hotel series, i can say it is even made me feel better than the Centara Grand, at least it made me feel comfortable during the stay. Clean room & bathroom in modern thai design, nicely decorated lobby even it is without air con, and a nice breakfast at poolside. I didnt believe i can have this quality with such low rate.

for services, i think it is in average coz i didnt have any bad experiences at all. But i would like to give a compliment to the spa of the hotel, coz it is cheap but in very good quality. the spa centre has comfortable atmosphere, the decoration is nice, also well-equipped with seawater pool, relaxing massage rooms etc. i have chosen the aroma oil massage & organic facial treatment for 2 hours, the treatment was great and in good quality as other five stars hotel's spa.

I have gone back to Pattaya for travel again in dec, and i have been to the spa in Centara Nova coz it's really worth to visit again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Jonas S, General Manager at Centara Nova Hotel & Spa Pattaya, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for the comments. We have received many good feed back that our Room and outlets are great for the low prices we offer. We hope to see soon again with us, and I remain,

Tomsk, Russia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Well, it took us several days to find a short and quite safe way to get from the hotel to the beach. It is indeed not that far but truly inconvenient and yes - it is almost surrounded with slums - we've walked them all when got lost the first and the second days. If I ever go to Pattaya again, which I strongly doubt now, I wouldn't stay here due to this reason firstly. All the other reasons can be explained simply: there is no use comparing Europe and Asia. Everything you enjoyed in Europe is faked in Asia. Drinks, food, furniture, personnel speaking English... It looks like real, but it turns out it just looked. Though, you knew you headed to Asia, no complains, take it or leave it. So, briefly, top 5 we liked and disliked there.

Dislikes:
- the hotel's location,
- service is average, we expected it to be better, though, honestly, now we feel it might have been worth,
- not enough comfort and safety - it only partially depends on the hotel staff, but still. Lots of Indians, Americans, Russians, some guests from North Europe. Most of them very noisy, annoying, the first ones also impolite and interfering - the glory fame of the resort is felt inside the hotel as well. And yes, those who wondered in reviews about Thai girls in the pool - they are. They are both at work there and guests, so if you don't enjoy the company it is you who is to avoid it. It feels like it goes without saying - it comes with the city!
- the food. If you aren't a fun of local food, there isn't mush for you in the menu you'd appreciate. Even if it looks like european, it doesn't taste like what you expected. So, you'd better dine somewhere else.
- the staff. I can't say I'm truly disappointed, but even speaking English I felt like no one understands me at all sometimes. Though the staff is nicely trained and friendly and all - you are to repeat slowly and simply several times, to check if you are understood right and then find out it is still quite right. It's good the personnel is polite and nice, but I would rather be told "Sorry, don't get you" than confusing smiles. Though I don't blame them, it just was hard as we never expected to face such troubles. You just have to take it and keep in mind.

Likes:
- the hotel looks rather exotic, just as well as the whole city. It's different and says a lot about the country and its people. At this point neighboring slums can also seem exotic and interest evoking.
- the rooms are not that big as you may expect looking at the pictures, but good enough to spend a night - the same goes for everything inside the rooms and balconies.
- nearby the hotel you can find most things you may need - 24*7 shops, service, exchange offices, bike taxi - though afraid, we tried the taxi and enjoyed it from that time on.
- if you are not picky, there is a spa and gym in the hotel. We never tried, though initially planed. Still, it didn't feel safe enough after the pool.
- it doesn't correspond with what we expected from a 4 star hotel, but again - it might have been worth.

Some extra comments:

The hotel guide from Pegasus was a complete failure:rude, uninformative, forgot to inform us about the departure time... We felt great pity to those Russians who didn't speak English and depended on him greatly. So ,travel yourself, it's cheaper and safer.

What disappointed the most? The life there, the way people slave and sell whatever - even kids - to survive. No judgement, but I couldn't but take it to heart, so no peace or rest. The way the sea and the nature on the whole is treated made us truly grieve to the heart. There is a sea you can't swim in, but have to take a bout to a distant island, the city embankment is ruined, dirt and plastic garbage everywhere.. I wonder where if someone called Thailand an Eden, it's no way. To say nothing about morals and laws violated there just everywhere. No safety. No rest. Unless you got used to it.

p.s. If we didn't meet accidentally some nice people - both local and emigrants, I wouldn't get much about the country and the city, it's just thanks to their truly friendly and warm attitude that I still have mixed impressions, without there would be negative only.

Room Tip: We spent a night in a room on the ground floor just in front of the pool. Despite of late night ther...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank EugeniAblogina
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. If you arrive to Thailand with same expectations you have in Europe you will face some challenges! One major challenge is the English. As you have experienced the English language is not spoken by as many as we are use to in Europe. The Thai culture and ways are very different from Europe. In communication and discussion they many times dont want to "loose face", meaning answering wrong or saying they dont know. This many times creates miss understandings.

In our A la carte menu we offer over 30 different "western dishes" so I do not agree that we dont have a various selection or good European taste.
In my opinion Thailand is the best service minded and friendliest country in all Asia, but i have also had the opportunity to live her the last 10 year and be close to the most amazing Thai persons around. I can only hope you can experience the greatness here as I and i believe most of the other tourists are, and I remain,