“What the hell happned to Thailand”

Cholchan Pattaya Resort
Ranked #84 of 466 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I visited Thailand in 2004 and had a wonderful experience. My wife's family wanted a family trip so my brother in law booked a tour and we happened to stay at this hotel. As far as my experience it was just an average one. Their breakfast buffet was ok. There were big group of Chinese tourists who were rude as hell. They'd just cut in front of you and when you tell them there's a line, they'll talk back to you like they deserve to be in front of you. It was beach front but it wasn't a nice sandy beach. As I walked to the shallow pool with my son, I dipped my feet in the pool and 2 bartenders who did not even acknowledge me as I walked past them suddenly yelled and shaked their hands to tell me that wasn't allowed. I guess they thought I was washing my sandy feet maybe? I'm not sure what the reason was since I was dressed in my swim trunk to go to the pool. Dinner buffer was subpar which was disappointing since breakfast wasn't too bad. When I checked in, I saw a bellboy arguing with a Russian guest then taking the matter up to the manager and yelling at the guest infront of the manager who wasn't really doing anything.

Since 2004 when I came, seems like Thailand has turned from hospitable place where people want to help you and welcome you to a place where they put employees' job is to watch and yell at the guests like prison guards. A-one was worse than here though.

There is cheap thai massage parlor right next to the hotel, although I noticed that hotel provides cheap massage next to the pool on the day we left.

I don't think I'll return to this hotel or Thailand until they realize that tourists are what's providing their economy and provide better service attitude.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank BigBoyA77

Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks on Business, there are 23 floors and I was on the 22nd, this for some is quite a good thing, but wait....this hotel is extremely popular with Asians (Chinese, Korean, Japanese etc) and in the morning it can take 15mins to get down in the lift, get a low floor if you stay. It's on the 'beach' but thats just a mud mess so forget it. The pools are nice, but generally the place is dated.
The staff are ok but not to the same friendly nature I come to expect in Thailand (The land of smiles).
It's also around 10km from Pattaya and that can take 30mins if its busy so beware!
If your on a tight budget and can stand the crowded nature of the place in the morning and night then it's o.k, but I can not recommend to stay here, pay a bit more, get a bit closer and you'll be glad in the long run.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This resort is not far from most attractions in Pattaya as walking street and different malls. It serves a good breakfast and there is a very nice swimming pool on seashore. The staff are friendly and the room is clean with coffee and tea kittle. I only miss in-room safe. Also, the waiting for elevators is sometimes 10-15 min especially during breakfast time. Finally, I recommend this hotel and I will come back again

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mohamed M
Reviewed 2 March 2013

The room is quite spacious and if you get a view of the pool and the beach it is quite beautiful. The bathroom needs updating as it is very old and the outside base of the toilet was not cleaned very well.

Staff sees you struggle with your luggage up the steep stairs, and not one of them mentions there is a pathway to the right that will take you into the hotel which has elevators that will take you to the lobby. Found this on my own while exploring the hotel.

There was not a huge selection in the breakfast buffet, but whatever was there was satisfactory, other than the one tiny cockroach that was racing about the table that had the condiments one morning.

The dinner buffet out in the garden was very good and their homemade coconut ice cream was amazing!

Room Tip: Get a view of the pool/beach
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Nice hotel and friendly staffs. Save money and having relax time here.We have stayed here for 2 nights before coming back to Bangkok.The breakfast is good but very busy with many tour groups that always come to have breakfast nearly the same time. Overall is good.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank pearljewel
Reviewed 2 January 2013

It doesn't matter how nice a hotel is if the staff is rude you can feel unwelcomed and unwanted within the hotel. Out of the whole hotel I met 1, yes only 1, friendly and accommodating associate. Helen was amazing she was sweet and accomdating!

Now the other morning I went to go get breakfast with my sister and the hostess yelled at me asking 'where is your coupon?'
I don't have a coupon and breakfast wasn't included in my room but I'm going to pay!!! I didn't want the buffet and just wanted a menu. They told us we weren't allowed to sit down! I went to the front desk to try to clear up the miscommunication. Well it was clear for about 2 seconds we had sat down and were waiting for menus then a server came up to me and said they didn't have a menu!

Yes they do because its in the room service menu! So we left and wanted to call room service then the room service said there wasn't room service avialable. What???? The room service menu is in the room.

The next day comes and my husband goes down to the resturant to get food to go, guess what?? They gave him a menu told him to sit down and he didn't have to get the buffet! While this was taking place I was leaving the room and I saw a room service tray!!! WTF.

Following day.... We need information about the shuttle from the hotel to the bus stop to go back to Bangkok. The rude assistant manager said 'come to lobby at 10am' then left and helped someone else. We then got his attention once he was done because we wanted to ask how often the busses leave for Bangkok. Before we could even ask he yelled at us say ' listen to me!!' And then he went on to explain what we wanted to hear.

Maybe they don't get it that their tone can be offensive and rude. Cutting off a guest before they finish is rude telling a guest they can't order breakfast is rude. Yelling at a guest is Rude!

I work in four star hotel in the states and this behavior would get you fired! I will never return or recommend.

By the way the pictures of their 'beach' is fake or at least 20 years old..... Their beach is non-existence!

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank KLove555
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This hotel must have seen better days. There was a certificate showing this hotel is officially four starts hotel. However, if carefully look into it, you can recognize the cetificate was expired several years ago. Though, it is still ok with well maintained room, clean bathroom, and nice pool. Breafast shows very limited choice and crowded. It seems that main guests for this hotel unsually came from Russia, Korea, and China.

Room Tip: Just accept the given rooms. It's indifferent!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family