“All inclusive resort hotel away from the infamous action of naughty Pattaya”

Ranked #8 of 455 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I did not choose this hotel, in the usual manner as I was assigned this hotel as part of a package my company took as it sent a delegation (for which I was part of) to a conference at Pattaya recently. So I cannot say I was excited about coming to stay at the Royal Cliff Grand Hotel. In fact, based on my idea of a good hotel resort and a relaxing time, I don't even think I would like Pattaya famed for its racy girlie shows, raucous bar scene and titillating massage services.

Much to my pleasant surprise, this hotel turns out to be a decent option. Although the age of the hotel as shown in its design, amenities and furniture is very obvious, this outfit is still relatively well maintained. I must say the hotel must have been at least 10 years old, if not longer. It seems trapped in many ways early 1990s style, or even 1980s style. The music of Kylie Minogue in her Locomotion days drift into my mind as I walk from the lobby, took the 1980s look lift and enter my room, how bizarre!

Thankfully the old-ness of the hotel stops there. The TV set used is modern LCD, flat screen and the wifi / wired internet speed was acceptably fast. In fact, if you so desire super fast net speed, you can pay a small sum to get it. I did not opt for this option so cannot say how good or bad it is.

The size of my normal, deluxe room is fine and cleanliness was acceptable. Some stray hairs and a small bit of a tortilla chip were found on the floor, but otherwise the wood parquet flooring and the well maintained tiled bathroom were neat and fresh. What was not truly acceptable was the stale smell in the corridors, not only in my floor but also in other floors which I visited for meetings. The smell on the 12th floor was especially bad, as if some dead rat's rotting away in the ventilator (it just might be the case!).

The amenities of this hotel are impressive. It is actually part of a huge convention centre, and there are other hotels which are linked through walkways, and all connected to the main convention halls. I suppose that's why the conference was held there, and that helps in having many meeting rooms and similar facilities, some 10 or more restaurants to choose from, many bars and several swimming pools of varying sizes. It also has its own private beach, but the colour of the sand was not very inviting I must admit.

I ate at the Breezeo restaurant which was costly but adequate, while breakfasts were all at the Panorama restaurant in the hotel next to the Grand. I was told by colleagues staying at the attached outfits that the rooms there aren't exactly that clean, and cockroaches and lots of lizards are found, even bed bugs on the mattresses used. Thankfully, I did not meet with such issues over at the Grand.

The location of this hotel is geared towards being exclusive and meant for people attending conferences and events at the nearby convention centre. That means travelling out to the main thoroughfare of Pattaya is a major issue, and taxis (whether official taxis or the so-called tuk tuk or the pick-up buses) are very expensive for tourists here. I cannot accept having to pay 500 baht from this hotel to another one in north Pattaya which would take no more than 20 minutes of driving, but there seems no option other than accepting this harsh fact. Hence, my trips for meetings in the Hilton and the Dusit Thani raked up quite a sum in total for taxi fares.

Service wise, perhaps because this conference is one of the largest in my industry, so the staff seemed prepared. But by and large, I cannot say it's the best and far from many of the best I have come across in this beautiful Land of the Smiles in my years of travel to this kingdom. Pattaya as a resort city in fact gives me that rustic, bordering on being uncouth and in-your-face feeling, unlike the family-oriented, carnival feel of Phuket, the relaxing elegance of Koh Samui and the regal holiday feel of Hua Hin. All are beach resorts but Pattaya, especially after walking the bar street, is clearly geared towards the adult audience. Despite so many years after the end of the Vietnam War, Pattaya has yet to redefine its raison d'etre as an R&R centre for American troops in the 1950s and 1960s.

So perhaps there will be no return trip to Pattaya, and in extension the Grand for me. I feel I prefer the mountains and the rivers, and even the cities for some form of relaxation be them spa massages, manicures and pedicures and even retail therapy. The Grand is not a bad option, but unless I am tasked to return to Pattaya for business again, I'd unlikely return to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

We are happy to read that you liked our hotel, service, breakfast and the hotel amenities.

It will be my pleasure to share your compliments to the entire team and I am sure this will be a great motivation to them.

Concerning your comment about the old rooms I have to clarify that over 80% of the rooms in the resort have been refurbished and renovated. We are now renovating the others so for future stays you will get to experience our renovated rooms with modern furniture and style.

For the rest of the Club Sea-view rooms we will slightly modify the rooms and replace any old items.

As for Pattaya there is so much the city has to offer from culture, arts, great food, adventure and sports.

You can be ensured that in our hotel there are no dead animals rotting somewhere. We work together with professional companies in terms of handling the pests’ control.

Please allow me to explain about the shuttle bus service to Pattaya centre. We charge 100THB per trip which is used for fuel cost. We provide frequent trips during the day and evening time to the city centre. We hope you will use it next time as it is very comfortable and we can assure your safety.

With best regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

My room is SeaView Plus Type. This room decorate with luxury style but feel relax to stay. The bed make me don't want to wake up and bathtube in the glassroom has automatic curtain if you don't want sexy too much. You can see the Beautiful Pattaya seaview by lie down on the daybed at the terrace. That's really feel good. They surprise me with delicious chocolate mousse cake in my  room with my special occasion. That's Great to service with your care. Thank you so much. I'll be there again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your compliments. Nothing pleases us more than to hear that you had a relaxing time with us. I have already passed on your kind words to all our staff. They are truly grateful and appreciated you acknowledged their hard work.

We also were very happy to read that you liked the bathroom modern design, the view from the balcony over Pattaya. Clean, comfort and convenience are the areas we strive for perfection at Royal Cliff.

We aim to offer exclusive and personalized service to everyone, we are very happy you liked the daily chocolate surprise.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

We all look very much forward to welcome you back for another enjoyable stay with Royal Cliff Hotels Group – The State of Exclusivity and Fascination!

With kind regards,

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We have stayed in many resorts in Pattaya and RC was the only one that really feels like a proper resort, boasting 5 swimming pools, 10 restaurants, you may not even need to leave the resort. The hotel is quiet old yet the rooms still have charm and comfortable beds. Staff can not do enough for you. The location is good, just a 5 min tuktuk ride into town or to the beaches. The only criticism I had was the prices of the massage, best to go into town you will save a small fortune. The restaurants are good here though and not so pricey. we will be back

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah B

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your compliments. Nothing pleases us more than to hear that you had a great time with us. I have already passed on your kind words to our staff. They are truly grateful and appreciated you acknowledged their hard work.

It was an absolute pleasure to have you and your family as our guests. We all are very happy that you liked the location, the swimming pools and our restaurants.

Please do find some time to return to us. We truly enjoyed taking care of you.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

We will wait for your return.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Royal cliff located in really good place, it is not far from the walking street. This hotel has a different variety of restaurants, in all of them delicious food and brilliant service. The best one, in my opinion was Italian restaurant, amazing pasta and pizza, good atmosphere and wonderfull life music. They also have a nice cafe, where you can have a fresh croissant and coffee in the morning. Good rooms and perfect cleaning of them. I also want to add few words about the bar next to the swimming pool, in grand hotel, there is a perfect service and good mixed cocktails, enjoy your holidays and choose Royal Cliff!

• Stayed: April 2014
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your lovely comments about your recent visit.

It certainly feels good when our guests “brand” our superior products and services as “Best Hotel in Pattaya” and surely there can be no better commendation for a hotel than this.

We also were very happy to read that you liked the Italian restaurant, the café with the fresh homemade croissants, the cocktails and service at the Grand Hotel swimming pool.

Feedback like yours is making a difference to motivate our team and to keep up with the unparalleled service we strive to provide.

It was pleasure to have you as our guest.

We all look very much forward to welcome you back for another memorable stay with Royal Cliff Hotels Group – The State of Exclusivity and Fascination!

With kind regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Attending a function there over the weekend we decided to make a weekend of it, and though not cheap for the area it was pretty good overall.

Booked a Sea View Club Room, which had a stunning view of the bay, the room was furnished very nicely, but not particularly large. The air conditioning, though set at an appropriate temperature, left condensation on the windows and made the walls, floor and our clothing damp.

The resort has a number of pools, we actually preferred the infinity pool which was located at another hotel on the site, so a fair trek.

Breakfast was not available in our building, or included in the price, so we had to walk to another building, the breakfast buffet was ample but fairly expensive, and the dining room was very crowded, we didn't bother with breakfast on our second day as it was just too crowded and not particularly good value.

Because the resort is out of the way we ate there on our first night, the Breezeo restaurant was located nearly on the beach and served very nice sea food, again fairly expensive for the area but probably what you would expect in this class of hotel, and taking into consideration that due to it's location the guests are pretty much a captive market. Whilst the food was good the hotel was let down by some of the staff, the restaurant wasn't really busy but we had to chase staff to take our order and deliver our drinks order which was resting on the bar whilst one guy was so engrossed in a television programme that we couldn't get his attention and two waitresses were attending to each others hair.

The hotel offers free Wi-Fi to guests but the offer is hidden, it's not mentioned in the information books, you have to specifically ask for free Wi-Fi at Reception and they will guide you through the process.

All in all not a bad hotel and we will probably stay there again, but they let themselves down in some areas.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review and for choosing to stay at Royal Cliff Hotels Group.

It makes us all happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the swimming pools and the view.

Your feedback are most valuable to us as it assist us to continually improve.
I was deeply saddened to hear about the service issues, however because of your comments we were able to address those short comings immediately. I have spoken to the staff and the manager at Breezeo. They have promised to be more attentive to customers.

Let me ensure you that what you experienced is not the actual level of service (and quality) provided at Royal Cliff Hotels Group. Actually, many outstanding guest comments and the 145 plus awards we achieved are indicative of the level we operate.

We hope that you will give us another chance in the future and I look forward to welcome you back for another stay at Royal Cliff Hotels Group.

Best regards,

Reviewed 25 April 2014

A really vast, ornate hotel with a private beach as well as a lovely swimming pool. The food in the restaurant is served with such incredible carved vegetables, I didn't even feel weird taking a picture of my food. I visited for a conference and it really does make for a fabulous venue. There are a few flaws, with just how far the hotel is from the actual city centre; you can't walk it in the heat since it's at the top of a steep hill. Second, the private beach was incredibly crowded with inappropriately-clad Russian women. Overweight women in bikini tops and thongs whose saggy bottoms (and other bits) seemed to make it into every one of the holiday snaps I took. I understand February is not a good time to hang out in Russia, but not everyone wants to see everything Russian hanging out at the beach they paid a fortune to lounge on.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your lovely comments to other travelers.

It certainly feels good when the superior products and services of Royal Cliff Hotels Group gets authenticated by our valued guest.

I was very happy to read that you liked the restaurants, the food and the swimming pools.

We aim to offer exclusive and personalized service to everyone.

My chefs were very happy when I shared with them your compliments.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

We look forward to your return to the State of Exclusivity & Fascination.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This hotel is part of a massive complex with many facilities and excellent restaurants. The view of the ocean from my very comfortable room was amazing. I enjoyed the excellent breakfast selection; I ate dinner with colleagues at the same restaurant a couple of times (Larn Thong I think it is called), which serves a limited, but very tasty selection of Thai food. I also enjoyed a very pleasant meal at Breezeo with a friend. The swimming pool is big enough for decent exercise, and the beach is easily accessible. My only complaint is that the town centre is a bit far to walk and the hotel shuttle is more expensive than a private taxi, which we would use for the return trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Cliff Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I was very happy to read that you liked the room, the swimming pools, the beach and our restaurants “Larn Thong and Breezeo”.

Our chefs were very happy when I shared with them your compliments.

About your comment on our shuttle bus service we have compared it to the price of the taxis and it is in line with it. With our shuttle bus we can guarantee comfort and safety of each trip. Anyhow we will look into this matter.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

We look forward to your return to the State of Exclusivity & Fascination.

Warm regards,