“I have run out of superlatives....”

Royal Wing Suites & Spa
Ranked #1 of 447 Hotels in Pattaya
Toronto, Canada
“I have run out of superlatives....”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Our family of four is nearing the end of our week at the Royal Wing Suites and Spa - hands down the BEST hotel we have ever stayed at in terms of service, hospitality and comfort.

Let's start at the beginning...upon arrival from Bangkok, we were checked in efficiently and kindly by a number of reception staff who were already fully briefed about emails I had sent in advance. Our request for two suites next to each other on a high floor was accommodated without question, and the staff was ready with information about the cooking class I had inquired about, as well as providers of scuba diving lessons in the vicinity. Everything was managed seamlessly in the spacious lobby while enjoying a stunning view of the ocean as well as a complimentary coconut drink.

We were then taken to our suites, which were spotlessly clean and spacious, including complimentary fruit platters and home made chocolate treats ready to be enjoyed. Fresh flowers decorated the sitting room table, and the complimentary minibar was stocked with juices, water and pop (it was also restocked on a daily basis, as were the fruit platters and chocolate treats). We had booked two of their one bedroom suites, which consist of a large combined bedroom/living room cleverly designed with a swiveling TV unit and sliding doors as separators. The suites also have two balconies - one with two sun loungers, and the other with a couple of chairs and a table. The living room includes a comfortable sofa and chair, as well as a work station where you can connect via cable to a high speed internet (complimentary, as is the wifi throughout the hotel), generous closet space, safe, music system, etc. The bathroom is oversized, with a huge, oval jacuzzi tub, a lovely, marble tiled rain shower with super pressure, make up table, etc. Bottles of water and toiletries are provided and supplemented daily.

The view of the fantastic pool and ocean is unbeatable, and should be equally as good regardless of room and floor.

Housekeeping was fantastic throughout our stay. We initially found the mattress to be a bit hard, and staff promptly organized extra mattress toppers and blankets. When my sons found a lizard in their room and decided they absolutely could not sleep without it gone, the staff came by at 11 pm ready to track it down and remove it from the room. All done with a smile (though I am sure they probably wondered what the fuss was all about...). The nightly turn down service was equally fabulous, with a treat and tomorrow's weather forecast conveniently left on our pillow. Amazing!

After having settled into our room on our first day, we decided to hit the pool deck, and again we were impressed with the service we encountered. The pool staff was ready to set up our loungers wherever we wanted, and informed us that the loungers would be ours for the duration of our stay (unless we expressed a desire to move elsewhere on the grounds). And indeed, each morning thereafter, we were met by the fabulous pool staff who had already set up our loungers with towels and tables, and even had personalized signs made for each lounger, with our name and the duration of our stay. The pool staff continued to provide excellent service throughout, always ready to move umbrellas, as well as provide drinks or snacks. My children will confirm that their milkshakes are superb!

The pool itself is a true wonder...huge, with built in jacuzzis throughout, as well as a lovely swim up bar with built in seating and even planters with palm trees. It is quite large, so large in fact, that we never felt crowded, even though this is Christmas season. The manager did inform us that the hotel has twice as many sun loungers as it has guests, even at full capacity. Thus, it will never feel full or crowded around the pool.

Speaking of the manager, I have to return to my initial comments that there are really no words to explain the level of service provided by Mr. Klaus Bodo Hund. Not only was he present every day to say hello to his guests, he would also take time out to stop and chat with individuals on a regular basis, making sure everything was satisfactory, suggesting activities that might be of interest, etc. When we informed him of our very late departure from Bangkok, he promptly offered us a complimentary late check-out. Front desk later confirmed that we could stay until 6 pm on our departure day in one of our suites (vacating the other for incoming guests). We were very grateful for this offer. However, Mr. Bodo Hund came by later informing us that he had arranged for us to have not only one, but BOTH suites available until 6 or 7 pm, whichever was needed. I have never in all of my travels experienced better and more present management service.

The onsite restaurant - Caprice - did not let down the rest of the hotel in terms of service and quality. Breakfasts were served on the terrace with efficient and friendly service, greeting our children by name, very quickly understanding our preferences for coffee/juices, etc. The quality of the food was fantastic. The warm croissants rival any French ones, and the eggs Benedict were wolfed down by my son within 5 minutes each day. My personal favourite - yoghurt and exotic fruits - was like a heavenly kiss each morning.
We managed to have two dinners at Caprice, and both were exceptional. The food served (filet mignon, rack of lamb, veal medallions, sea bass) was of a very high standard, and the service was on par. Truly first class. Considering the exceptional standards, we found the prices to be quite reasonable (approximately USD 150 for four people for pre dinner drinks, main courses, wine and dessert).

The Royal Wing Suites and Spa is part of a larger complex of hotels, "The Royal Cliff", and while the Royal Wing does market itself as 'exclusive', it is connected by pathways to the other three hotels. Our impression of the other hotels was that they were a little more rough around the edges, crowded and possibly a little past their prime. The one exception would be the 'infini pool' at the Royal Cliff Beach Hotel, which is truly a wonderous thing to behold, and quite the architectural feat.

We did have an excellent meal at the Maharani Indian restaurant at the Royal Cliff. The Italian restaurant at the Royal Grand hotel was not quite as memorable.

Finally, we made use of the shared gym attached to the Royal Cliff, and frankly found it to be a bit of a disappointment. The use of the gym was complimentary, but while the treadmills were of good standard, the rest of the gym seemed a bit run down, not to mention very hot to exercise in. Furthermore, we were not particularly impressed by the staff there, who charged us 100 baht to rent equipment for their 4 hole pitch and putt, but only gave us 1 putter to share between the four of us. When we then lost a golf ball, we were charged an additional 50 baht. Considering the free drinks we were provided with on a daily basis in our minibar, not to mention the chocolates and the free fruit platters, these small charges seemed arbitrary and odd. And also a little irritating. I mean, a golf ball lost - is it really such a big deal that you have to write out an invoice for it?

Just a word about the location: Pattaya is not really a first choice in Thailand for a holiday anymore. It has become quite seedy, busy and lost much of its authentic Thai charm. There are many places more beautiful. HOWEVER. If you want to avoid having to take another flight to an island, and is looking to combine a trip to Bangkok with a relaxing beach and pool holiday, Royal Wing is an obvious choice - and from now on the ONLY choice for us. It is 1.5 hours from Bangkok, close enough to Pattaya to allow visits, but far enough away to be an oasis of beauty, peace and tranquility. I cannot recommend it highly enough. We are so sad to be leaving, and we are already planning our return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank HeidiToronto_Canada
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience and recommend our luxury hotel with other travelers.

We are so happy you had such a great time with us. Our team really enjoyed taking care of you and your family. I have shared your kind words with our team. They are very grateful. After sharing your comment with our team I can see that they are all inspired to continually maintain this high level of service.

We acknowledged your thoughts about Pattaya. The city is going through significant changes and many new exciting developments will be completed next year to offer tourists a range of activities to do that you cannot find anywhere in the world.

It was an absolute pleasure having you and your family as our guest.

We all look forward to welcome you back to Royal Wing Suites & Spa - Ultimate Luxury!

Resident Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Just returned from a two nights stay at the Royal Wing Suites and Spa. It was a new year staff party for our company and we all had a tremendous time. Beautiful ocean vistas, outstanding facilities. The infinity pool in the main building was heavenly and so was the free form pool at the Royal Wing where ounge chairs availability is never an issue since yours are reserved exclusively for the entire length of your stay, via a gold plate with your name on it!. The layout also allows for both maximum capacity and privacy!

Service was impeccable with unmatched attentiveness by staff at all levels. Nothing was too much trouble and all requests were addressed promptly and efficiently.

Our company had a great time at the Royal Cliff and hope we will be able to return next year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wapan w
Dear Valued Guest!

Thank you so much for your compliments and for sharing your experience to other travelers.

I am especially grateful that you highlighted what you liked most about the resort.

It was a great pleasure to read that you viewed us as still the best hotel in Pattaya. I have shared your kind words with our team. Your review is a great inspiration for the whole team to continually strive to provide outstanding service.

It was an absolute pleasure to have you as our guest.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend recently. The place seemed very quite when we checked in and that status remained throughout our stay. There were from what we saw, very few people staying here. The standard of the room we booked was exceptional, as was the attentiveness of the hotel staff at every level, nothing to fault there. However the hotel has no direct beach access and therefore you are restricted to the pool and the small garden area and the restaurant. You can of course use the facilities of the sister hotel adjoining it but this seems to go from one extreme to the other being very busy with a mostly Russian cliental.
With so many other options around Pattaya I would not choose to stay here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mike S
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings and thank you for having chosen Royal Wing Suites & Spa as your hotel of choice for your recent visit. We also thank you for having taken the time to share your views of your recent stay at our hotel.

We appreciate your positive feedback and are happy to read that your long weekend was a pleasant one. In particular, we note your kind comments with regards to the exceptional standard of room as well attentiveness staff around the hotel without faults.

Royal Wing Suites & Spa is the only hotel in Pattaya that offers a private beach attached to pool. All our guests are welcome to use this beach. As for the style of the hotel we aim to be a luxury boutique hotel that offers the most serene experience. It is our wish that every guest staying with us can totally relax in the most peaceful environment.

We are saddened to hear that you will not choose us again as we will be developing more interesting activities and facilities around the resort. We hope you will re-consider. On your next visit please ask for me directly so I can sit with you to explain all the activities you can do at Royal Cliff. We are far from boring.

Glasgow Scotland
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I must confess I was apprehensive about visiting Pattaya after a 30 year gap but a good friend had asked me to visit him and with some trepidation I booked a 4 night stay at The Royal Wing.
To be honest Pattaya was a bit of a disappointment as it has changed so much since I last visited but The Royal Wing was a gem of a place to stay for my visit. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff - my wife and I were truly made to feel like VIP's from the moment we walked through the doors. If you read any of my other reviews you would know I don't make a statement like this lightly. Again to be honest this type of large hotel is not where I would normally reserve a room but I can appreciate that being part of a large complex does have certain advantages as regards variety of food and facilities. Can I mention in particular Peter the head waiter in the Caprice and his daytime associate ( sorry I don't know his name) as two members of staff who looked after us exceptionally well throughout our short stay. The contributor before last made mention of room 0411 - this was the room my wife and I were allocated and any problems he had must have been rectified as we were more than pleased with this suite. Can I also make mention of the house keeping staff - I must be getting old I fear because on one occasion I stupidly left my room without shutting the room safe. I need not have worried as the head housekeeper found me at the pool area and advised me of the situation. I apologise for any awkwardness my forgetfulness might have caused.
I visited the spa on three occasions and one bit of advice I would give is to use the facility in The Royal Grand rather than the annex in the The Royal Wing. The Spa in the Grand is obviously the main event and offers a much better facility. My massages were given by a young lady whose name sounded like " tiop tin" and they were the best I can remember having - matching even one excellent masseuse I had at Chiva Som some years ago.
You may have concluded that I was well impressed with my stay here and that is very true - in fairness to any of you who would follow my recommendation I must point out that there were very few other guests during my stay (ending tomorrow morning 2nd Nov) and I would hope that service levels could be maintained with higher occupancy.
In conclusion my fellow travellers if you are visiting Pattaya look no further than The Royal Suites.

Room Tip: My suite was fine 411 - I think all are much the same.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank AllanWanderlust
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

First, I would like to express my personal gratitude for your kind letter and the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us and to fellow travelers on Tripadvisor!

Second, on behalf of my entire team at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us.

At Royal Wing Suites & Spa our mission is to completely delight and satisfy our guests, make them feel home away from home. What makes us special is a combination of two things – what we bring to the world and what we bring to every single person who visits Royal Wing Suites & Spa. “These are the very heart of our ultimate luxury brand”.

The first describes what we are: Embodies the purest definition of luxury, magnified by exemplary ultimate services. The second is what we bring to every one of our guests. It`s not about what they get, it is about how they feel. “An experience that is truly beyond 5-stars”.
Hence, we were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed how you were welcomed and wowed by our personalized service in every department. We will share your positive remarks with our entire team and certainly pass on your praises to our Royal Wing Ambassadors to both head waiters as well our housekeeping floor supervisor in charge of suite 0411.

Therefore it is a great pleasure and extremely rewarding to receive positive and encouraging remarks about our services and facilities such as yours. We are delighted to learn that we exceeded your expectations, that you enjoyed your time with us and your compliments are the greatest encouragement for us to keep up to our high service standard!

We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Royal Wing Suites & Spa.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Every trip to the Royal Wing Suites and Spa for us is truly like being in Paradise and indeed the whole of the Royal Cliff Beach Resort Complex . From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were looked after beyond all expectations. We were married at the royal wing 20 years ago and returned this year for our 20th Anniversary. Klaus, the Manager of the Royal Wing was there to great us and welcome us back to this beautiful resort. We were taken to our luxurious Suite which was absolutely stunning, the suites have been refurbished recently and ouze modern luxury but still have that thai edge/decoration to them which is fantastic and what you want when staying in Thailand. Each day fresh flowers, fruit and chocolates or cakes were left and the mini bar topped up and each night they would come and turn down the bed leaving chocolates and notes for a good rest and the next days weather report. On our anniversary the hotel decorated our bed and bath with beautiful rose petals and towels made into turtle doves, very romantic and even made us a chocolate anniversary cake and left a card. We dined at the Caprice on afew occasions which is our favourite for a special experience, very romantic and have a fabulous pianist there too. On the night of our anniversary they made us feel very special at the Caprice and spoilt us with little touches and a beautiful bouquet of flowers. The Grill Room is another of our favourite restaurants at the Royal Cliff, very romantic and chilled out with the most fantastic food and wines. Over the years we have tried each and every restaurant at the Cliff and cannot fault one of them, they are fantastic and their chefs make the most delicious creations. Our dear friend Vorawitt Jitpayap (who arranged our wedding all those years ago at the Wing) welcomed us again with open arms, he now runs the Cliff Grand part of the hotel which is also another part of the complex which is out of this world and the Saturday Buffet there is a real experience not to be missed. Breakfast at the Wing was wonderful with a full a la carte menu of everything imaginable and the most friendly staff, always with a smile. The pool staff were there by our side every morning and seen to everything possible to make our days wonderful and relaxed. Reception staff were there for our every need each day helping with any plans or questions and always welcoming and smiling. We had treatments at the spa and again the staff and experiences were amazing. Klaus the manager was never far away and was always about greeting us and other guests and showing an interest in our stay and making us feel comfortable, also Khun Panga the owner made time in her day on several occasions to stop and great us and pass the time of day. All in all it was another wonderful stay at the Royal Wing and Cliff Beach Resort and we hope to return next year to see you all and spend another chilled and restful holiday at your beautiful paradise. Special thanks to Klaus and Vorawitt for making our stay so enjoyable, much love sent your way, Karen and Nick x

Room Tip: Our room was wonderful, 0511, with a fantastic view out over the pool and sea!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Parsons-Young
Dear Valued Guest

It’s our great honor to receive such a wonderful feedback from you!
Thank you so much for your compliments and for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are so glad to hear that you had a great time and we made your stay memorable.

We truly enjoyed taking care of you and your partner. It is always a pleasure having you staying with us.

We are proud to have been the chosen hotel for your special occasions.

We wait eagerly for your return.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I just arrived Royal Wing yesterday (18 October 2013) and was planning to stay for 4 nights. This visit, the hotel arranged me the room number 0411 with water leaking air conditioner as I found in front of the bathroom.

After notifying the hotel staff, they apologized and changed the room to 0410, which is quite old and need to be renovated.

Complimentary Wifi is provided with irregular transmission. Although internet cable is provided, I found that it is not working.

As regular customer for years, I can say that the hotel management is encountering hospitality failure.

This morning I will ask for changing to other building. Let's see what the hotel staff will do.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
19 Thank victorw
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments.
Firstly let me convey our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay.

Feedback is of utmost importance to us because it assists us in keeping up our high standards and therefore we really appreciate your comments.
We apologize for the leak caused from the air-condition. As soon as we realised this we swiftly transfer you to our newly refurbished suite next door.
In reference to Wi-Fi irregularly transmission, I am delighted to advise that our IT team have immediately checked the suite and could not found errors on WIFI & W-Lan connection after moving to another new suite.

Further, I am very proud to share with you that our owning company refurbished all Royal Wing Suites three months ago to keep all our facilities up to date and to increase convenience for our valued guests.

Nonetheless, we are all disappointed to read your review especially when alongside it there are some great comments and experiences from other guests that have enjoyed the new refurbished suite you previously stayed in.

Unfortunately this time round there were problems that we could not control such as the bad weather which caused a slight leak. When you alerted the problem we rectify straight away.

We will continue to work hard to impress and exceed the expectations from other guests that visit us.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I have just returned from an exceptional week at this exquisite hotel.
We have had the privilege of staying at many 5 star hotels in our travels, but not many can compete with the top-notch service at the Royal Wing Suites!
Upon our arrival, were personally greeted by the General manager, Klaus Hund.
He is a perfect gentleman, takes pride in what he does, and made sure that all our needs where met.
The rooms are luxurious and spacious and the views are amazing.
The Internet service is easily accessible, with no complicated passwords.
They have power outlets down at the pool, so you are able to recharge your device without interrupting your leisure time.
The service at the pool is excellent!
You can choose one of the many lounge chairs at the beginning of your stay, and each day they will have it ready and waiting for you.
The variety of restaurants is a feast for eyes and palate!
We made it a point to try almost all of them, and we were not disappointed! The kind and attentive staff in each of the restaurants, made our dinning experience even better.
We were actually sorry to say goodbye to the wonderful staff here.
They are not only extremely professional, but were genuinely kind and personable.
It was a relaxing sanctuary after a busy day in Pattaya!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank manyflags20
Royal_Cliff_Hotels, Manager at Royal Wing Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Valued Guest

It was a real pleasure to have you as our guest and I'm pleased to read that the team of Royal Wing Suites & Spa was able to attend to your needs from the first step of meet & greet to farewell.

I have passed on your compliments to the different departments and have in fact personally congratulated our pool butlers who will also be reading your comments in their upcoming meeting.

Our goal is to provide high service standard but with a touch of genuine Thai hospitality and still being able to personalize it to each guests.

Your experience with your dining and exceptional service overall is a great example that we can share with other associates and I appreciate you taking the time to share with us.
On behalf of the team at the Royal Wing Suites & Spa, I would like to thank you again for your compliments and we hope you will consider Royal Wing Suites & Spa again on your next occasion to Pattaya.