“Resort? No!”

Ranked #45 of 447 Hotels in Pattaya
Frankfurt, Germany
“Resort? No!”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The hotel is (almost) brand new and that shows. The property is owned by the "Tulip Group", a property investor with some big investments in Pattaya, the hotel is managed by Centara; hence the name. As far as I could see "Tulip" did not invest on the cheap side. The decoration of the public areas is very nice (including a fish tank with at least four sharks) and our room was also nicely decorated.

But this is NOT a resort. Presently there is one building (I guess with some 120 rooms), a second one with less rooms is under construction. And all is pure stone/concrete, no trees, no noteworthy scrub, no lawns and the pool is on the top of building #1. The building is facing a street, on the other side of this street are some residential buildings and beyond these residential buildings is ... the beach. It's a three to four minutes walk to this beach. Towels and vouchers for sun beds are provided by the hotel. Three of the residential buildings belong to the hotel. One seems to be an administrational outlet, the other two are intended for a "Beach Club" and a Spa. However, right now the front yards of these two buildings look like a garbage dump. If you're lucky enough to have a room fronting the street (street noise is not a problem in the room, the insulation is quite good!) you can even see the sea - well ... from level 5 upward. The rooms on the right hand side (as seen as facing the hotel from the street side) are facing the building no. 2. Don't know about the left hand side, maybe some sea vista?

The staff all over are very nice, though there seem to be a lot of fluctuation among these staff. What I considered a bit strange is that very obviously the management forces (or encourages?) these stuff to wear name tags with western names. I know this from China, where local names can't be pronounced by "gweilos". But in Thailand, where everybody has a nickname??? C'mon man, you must be joking!

To Pattaya downtown it's a 15 ... 40 minutes ride (depending traffic), there's a free shuttle provided by the hotel. You'll need it because there are no decent restaurants (other than the two hotel restaurants) within 15 to 20 minutes walking distance.

Every room has a tiny balcony with two chairs and a table. As long as you are within normal heigth and weight boundaries - no problem. Otherwise ... The room is big enough, but - believe it or not - there's only one chair in the whole room. We ordered room service once but it didn't make fun to sit on the bed for eating. That's something I don't understand, because there's really enough space for at least one more chair - maybe a recliner - and a small (coffee) table.

Considering the "off the grid" location, the limited beach quality, the sparse room furniture and the "concrete vista" of the rooms not facing the street I believe that the place is too expensive.

Two more things which bugged me: (1) I found it a nice gesture that the General Manager came around a couple of times during breakfast offering some (Belgian?) chocolates. But the guy didn't speak a all. Strange ... (2) Over the weekends the top brass of this Tulip Group stayed at the hotel and their cars (Rolls, Bentley, some Mercedes ...) did a long term parking right in front of the hotel entrance. So sometimes the shuttle bus riders did have to embark or disembark the bus in the middle of the street. I don't think that's guest minded, especially since there's an underground parking below the building.

The Internet (wi-fi) is fast and free. I you wanna watch movies from your computer or iPad bring a HDMI adapter cable for the TV connection. That works quite good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reisender51
Podcharak K, Manager at Centara Grand Phratamnak Pattaya, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Reisender51,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback.

I am very happy that you enjoyed the design and layout of the lobby and the level of service provided by our team, but of course I am very disappointed to read of your poor experience at our resort, and please do accept my apologies.

I am so sorry to hear we did not fulfill your expectations and offer a positively enjoyable experience. I genuinely appreciate your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve our guest experience.

However, we certainly sometimes get comments, but normally we have never forced our staffs to use western names. The names on name tags are their real Thai nicknames.

Again, please do accept my apologies, and I do hope that you will provide us with another opportunity in the future. I am sure that we will be able to regain your confidence in your next stay.

Podcharak (Deer) Klintoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stay with my friends during March 15-16, 2014. The hotel is not too big but gave a good experience to us. We book the lowest type of room, deluxe. Even we request high floor, but we got 2nd floor. So the deluxe room might only in 2nd - 3rd floor. The room view is so green from hotel garden. The room quite nice, not too small or too big. The bed is good! They also provide nespresso but the capsule is 40bath each. The rooftop swimming pool is nice but too small if a lot of guest be there in the same time. The breakfast is very good! Good quality and also variety.
I will return here for sure

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nat2go
Podcharak K, Manager at Centara Grand Phratamnak Pattaya, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Nat2go,

Sawasdee krub from Pattaya, and thank you so much for taking the time to post your detailed review here on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to hear that you had a good experience with us and were pleased with the view from the room as well as with quality and variety of our buffet breakfast. I will pass on your kind feedback to all the concerned department you have mentioned.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 March 2014

In a quiet part of Pattaya at Cosy Beach this Centara hotel is all 5 star in its beautiful marble rooms and lobby, amazing fish tanks with full size sharks and quality service. A good location if you want a nice quiet beach 100m away but can still get into Pattaya in 6 or 7 minutes. Excellent western restaurants nearby (Matahari & Au Bon Coin) this hotel makes for a great weekend getaway or week in the sun. The rooftop pool and bar area is superb and the Italian restaurant a work of art. Modern gym and good coffee and pastries in the coffee shop.

Room Tip: I was on 5th floor on ocean side and could just see over the buildings. Suggest 6th floor and above...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank StuckinBangers
Podcharak K, Manager at Centara Grand Phratamnak Pattaya, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear StuckinBangers,

I am delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your recent stay with us and were extremely pleased with our associates high level of service as well as with the facilities available at the hotel. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your kind feedback to all the concerned department you have mentioned.

sweden
Reviewed 8 March 2014

CONS
We really hated Pattaya, so that might have something to do with us never feeling 100% happy about the hotel/location. We had a ocean view room - and from the start it looked good but when entering the balcony I got really sad. When i pay extra money for sea-view I do not expect a building in the way of my view?! Look at the pictures! I really belive the hotel has to change this information - as it clearny NOT is sea-view, to be honest it is partly. The sad part is that the building is really shabby (seems to belong to the hotel as well). Another big thing is that the hotel is building the twin-wing as we speak - meaning there are construction sounds/around the hotel/lobby and also at the rooftop pool. So do not book if you want a quiet hotel.

Staff also mixed feelings, some really happy and helpful and others (mainly european girls) felt rather "chilly" in their way.

Also the beach location is not ideal - felt rather dirty. The whole area feels a little bit ghost-town...

PROS
Beautiful rooftop-pool, with nice staff. Amazing at night for drinks too!

Gym
Very nice little gym - very nice gym-staff! :)

Hotel lobby/areas are stunning! High class design and the biggest tank with sharks and fish in the restaurant downstairs. The room itself was great - all new with everything you need.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelicious82
Dear Travelicious82,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Centara Grand Phratamnak Resort Pattaya and for the time that you have taken to share your feedback with us.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the design and layout of the rooftop pool and the service provided by the staffs at rooftop and our gym. I have shared your compliments with our team and they were delighted to know that they had been able to play a part in enhancing your stay with us, but please do accept my apologies for the inconvenience cause during your stay and rest assured that we continue to do everything possible to improve the current situation.

We all look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back to Centara Grand Phratamnak Resort Pattaya.

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my family for 2 weeks in February and we thoroughly enjoyed all aspects from the warm welcome, the bed was very comfortable and the shower had great pressure, lighting in the bathroom can be improved though! The breakfast was great with excellent quality products and fantastic illy coffee at both Oceana and Espresso. We just loved the pool area and the comp snacks and refreshments, the sunset is stunning with well made chilled cocktails followed by tasty authentic Italian food in Ruffino, when we are back in Pattaya we will definitely stay here again and enjoy this quaint part of town. The staff from the waiters and waitresses up to the senior management were professional, friendly and always on hand to assist with nothing being to much.

Stayed February 2014
3 Thank MrsLadybird
Podcharak K, Manager at Centara Grand Phratamnak Pattaya, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear MrsLadybird,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Centara Grand Phratamnak Resort Pattaya and for the time that you have taken to share your feedback with us.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the spaciousness of our room, our breakfast & Illy coffee, our rooftop pool, the food at Ruffino and the level of customer service provided by our team. We continuously strive to consistency the level of our services and your compliments have been shared with the team to recognize their efforts.

We all look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back.

hull
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Having stayed at Centara Hotels in Phuket we decided too give this new addition a try, and wow we were not disappointed it took just over an hour to reach the hotel by car from Bangkok but it was worth the journey. The first thing you see is the most impressive lobby no money has been spared here with beautiful crystal chandeliers, huge aquariums filled with tropical fish and sharks,fendi yes fendi chairs and the friendliest reception staff you will ever encounter. Glass lifts take you up to your floors where you view the beautiful jelly fish hanging lights. The rooms are breath taking I've stayed in many all over the world and this surpasses all of them it's designed with the modern day traveller in mind. Soft muted colours marble everywhere a huge bed that is so comfortable,your air con and lighting is controlled via a tablet device as is the blinds that screen the huge rainfall shower room from the bedroom, there is also brilliant free wifi connections. This truly is a beautiful room to come back after a busy day. The breakfast is served in a fabulous restaurant and the choice is quality. I have never written a review on only my first day on holiday but I just felt compelled to do so because I hope that any fellow travellers contemplating pattaya would choose this hotel, you really will not be disappointed and lucky me has a further 13 days of luxury here

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank flosieHull
Dear flosieHull,

Sawasdee krub from Centara Grand Phratamnak Resort Pattaya, and thank you very much for taking time to share your great comments on Tripadvisor.

We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your experience and had a wonderful time with us. Thank you for your kind words about our service, the theme and design of our hotel and our buffet breakfast. We will strive to continue do everything possible and make sure your future stays at Pattaya are even more memorable and uplifting.

West Bay, Grand Cayman
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Had a briiliant 5 night stay here at Centara Grand Phratamnak with friends everyone who travelled there loved it its a shiny new hotel very close to the beach with amazing staff who we had lots of laughs with the rooms are truly great all shiny & new nicely appointed with everything you may need breakfast was very very yummy the bar on the rooftop was cool serving great cocktails next to the pool which we all used loads hotels in a nice quiet area of jomtien taxi into Pattaya was very easy 200 baht maximum & if you wanted its a short 10 minute walk along beachside walkway into jomtien town airport was around 1.5 hours away no more than 2000 baht in a taxi BRILLIANT HOTEL GREAT CARING FRIENDLY STAFF ENJOY.....!!!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank scottieq
Podcharak K, Manager at Centara Grand Phratamnak Pattaya, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear scottieq,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Centara Grand Phratamnak Resort Pattaya and I would like to appreciate you so much for you posting such nice feedback on tripadvisor.

I am so glad to hear that all of your stay with us was excellent and enjoyable. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we will do our best to ensure that our service during your next stay exceeds expectations. I most certainly hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon.