“Pretty Place, Nasty Area”

Birds & Bees Resort
Ranked #55 of 458 Hotels in Pattaya
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The grounds of this hotel are very pretty and a visit to their organic farm/garden is enlightening. The room I had was beautiful, lovely balcony overlooking garden/pool. The pool is refreshing and you can go down to the beach and swim and sunbathe there as well. I think the restaurant (Cabbages & Condoms) in Bangkok is better but the layout of the resort at the resort was interesting as it was built on different levels looking out at the sea. Once the restaurant closed (10pm) there was virtually no drink or food of any kind available. I don't understand why they don't operate a little bar for their guests. One is forced out and there is nothing of note near the resort - a lot of Russian bars only. If you want to go into the nasty town of Pattaya it will cost you $10 dollars each way. It really is the only place to go if you want to eat and drink outside resort. I would never go back to this area but if you do want to go then I would recommend staying at the Birds & Bees. The charitable work that is done by the "owner" of this resort and the various Cabbage & Condoms restaurants in Thailand is extremely worthwhile and is making a difference in educating children/teens from poor rural areas. The school on site is fantastic. I only have two complaints. There is a sign at the pool stating no reserving loungers but obviously that is not being complied with as a large group were putting out sunhats/books etc. on anywhere from 8-11 loungers first thing in morning but most didn't turn up at pool until around Noon. Not fair and the pool manager should have rectified this as those loungers were the only ones facing the sun and sea. My other complaint was the incredibly unfriendly Reception Manageress who was downright hostile. ALL other staff were lovely.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Liz56TorontoON

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at tge Birds and Bees for 7 nights in the Big Bird Family Suite. We booked it all online through email and all wwnt smoothly.
Pattaya isnt really sold to the Australian market and we are so over Phuket that we thought we would take a chance on this resort.... We were so pleased that we did!
Firstly I have to acknowledge that yes Pattaya is as crazy as the reviews say but it has so much more to offer than Phuket... the language barrier was the main thing that got us as most people speak Thai or Russian and our english caused a few issues in trying to get back to B&B, once we had a business card with the address on it most taxi drivers were able to understand where we wanted to go:)
Back to the resort... the setting is absolutely breathtaking! So peaceful and relaxing. We made use of the private beach entrance and the kids pool most days as the numerous waterslides and incredible staff at the pool was flawless. Our 4 and 7 year olds loved the special attention they got every time they went through the pool area. There is a springfree trampoline, rocking horses, roaming rabbits who love being fed bananas (which you help yourself to at the entrance/exit to the restaurant) and endless walkways with wishing wells and fish to feed.
One day our little one fell over while running (as they do!) And she tore many layers off the top of her toe, we quickly took her to the reception where we were greeted with outstanding support and instant first aid without hesitation. .. for that we were so grateful!
The room layout was fantsstic and the numerous showers and toilets were very handy too! The private decks and pond was just beautiful!
There were plenty of mozzies but a spray with the bug spray that is provided each night addresses that!
Thd beds are hugeand comfortable and there is plenty of room for sofa lounges and separate tv's for the kids and adults.
The staff were very pleasant but had very little English, however we managed well and they organised some outstanding tours for us. The free wifi and screenshots of the attractions we wanted to visit helped alot!
The only complaint we had was the breakfast, I think it was low season while we were there and we found that the beakfast buffet was getting worse and worse with each day that we were there as less and less variety was available. However dinner on the top level of the cabbages and condoms restaurant while watching the sun set over the gulf of Thailand was absolutely spectacular and our children still talk about it!
All in all im glad we took the risk on Pattaya as an Aussie family and the Birds and Bees made our trip so memorable. Definitely worth the extra money!
Thank you Birds and Bees!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cristy M
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I will preface this review with a note that I have changed the way I look at a hotel. To be 5 star in my view it truly needs to be a flawless stay, possibly some of my past reviews would not do as well given my new method of reviewing. In reviewing, I will consider everything from ease of booking, to location. Check in and reception to room comfort. Bathroom amenities to towel quality. Lastly I will consider the responsiveness of the staff to issues. To that end, maybe I will gain some consistency in my review criteria.

The website is awful for trying to find prices and rooms. Booking was by phone and I was quoted two different prices by two different reservations personnel.

The location is great, just over the hill from Pattaya and away from the Pattaya mess.

Check in went smoothly and the front desk satff was polite. We had two rooms, the Big Bug suite for my son, mother-in-law and nanny and an Oceanside room for my wife and I. The rooms were moderately clean but not exceptional, they felt more like a lodge than a hotel, cobwebs and things hanging from the ceiling. The Big Bug suite did not have slippers so we had to get some because the floor just didnt feel clean.

The grounds were very nice but they seem to just miss, there is a playground for kids but it is a bit tired, there is a lawn with bunnies but it is watered so much that it is muddy. The walk ways are very nice but covered with berries that squish into your shoes. The beach is good enough.

The bathrooms were ok but not great, the towels were frayed and worn but clean.

The Ocean side room was very nice but also dark and a bit dirty.

The Big Bug suite lived up to its name. There were some big bugs in it. My 2 year old son was eaten alive by either mosquitoes or bed bugs and wound up with over 12 bites on his face. he had an allergic reaction and wound up in the hospital with a 102 degree fever. We can't be sure which insect got him but the bites did not look like mosquito bites.

Service was hit or miss, we ordered food from the restaurant to eat in our room and it took quite awhile, once it arrived it was good and well prepared.

We had a major issue with the staff and money as did other reviewers. One of the nights our nanny ordered food from the restaurant, she paid cash but signed the room receipt because the wiater told her she had to. Upon check out I was charged for the room service that she paid cash for. The two room service reciepts that we had were different also, on was marked credit and that one we clearly charged to the room, the one that was paid in cash was not marked credit but we were charged. I think the restaurant staff tricked our nanny into signing and then pocketed the cash. My son was in the car and running a high fever, we still had a 2 hour drive to Bangkok so I signed the bill and left, vowing to never return to this hotel.

The other thing that was annoying, when we checked out they checked the room and wanted to know where one of the glasses was. We used the glasses when we had room service and they were cleaned up with the dishes. The front desk satff seemed to be accusing me of stealing a 50 cent glass. It seems that if you pay more than $1200 for two rooms for two nights that you should be treated with more respect. I have no use for a cheap hotel glass. I find it hard to beleive that the clientel that will pay this much for a room is also fond of pilfering hotel glasses.

I wanted to like this hotel but it was overpriced, unresponsive, dishonest and dirty. Don't bother staying here, it's just not that great and may have bed bugs. For the amount they charge and the way a guest is treated...not again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel for the best room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ccham
BB_Resort_1, General Manager at Birds & Bees Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for your feedback; your contributions are vital to the improvement of our services and customer satisfaction.

We are certainly sorry to hear about your unpleasant issues during your stay at our resort. We take the issue of customer satisfaction very seriously, as without our valued customers our social enterprise would not be able to sustain itself.

We would like to provide some feedback regarding two points that you have raised; the issue of bed bugs and the confusion surrounding the billing in the restaurant.

We can assure you that none of our rooms are infested with bed bugs. We take regular measures to ensure that our bedding is clean, safe and free from pests. We can also say that the bites that your son exhibited were not consistent with typical bed bug bite reactions. If possible, our resort would appreciate having some direct feedback from the hospital which treated your son. We are nevertheless saddened to know of your son's misfortune and bad experience, and wish him a swift and full recovery.

Accusations of theft by resort staff is a grave matter which we investigate to the fullest extent. We have made a thorough investigation and on the available evidence of CCTV footage and our comprehensive billing system, are sure that no money changed hands between your nanny and our staff during their encounter. Since the available evidence demonstrates that no cash transaction had occurred, inevitably this transaction appeared on your account. None of our staff have contravened our clear policy that staff will not accept cash payments unless they are suitably authorised.

Once again we thank you for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured we will do our very best to ensure that such issues and misunderstandings will not occur again in the future.

Birds and Bees Management Team

Reviewed 6 January 2014

booked in for 4 nights just before Christmas very relaxing wonderful setting very clean, good food ,staff were first class nothing was a bother .nice private beach,,we had a Jacuzzi instead of bath fantastic .Only drawback it was a taxi ride to anywhere else

Room Tip: top floors (3)can just about see over the tree tops
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This is one of the most amazing - if not the most amazing! - places I've visited. And I'm quite an experienced traveller.

Whether you're travelling as a couple or with children, there's something for everyone there. The staff is friendly, wonderful and helpful. The reception staff also try to accommodate all your needs even some very unusual ones (and yes, this was part of our experience due to a very unusual nature of our trip).

I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who wants a beautiful place to stay in Pattaya.

One more thing: if you are planning a visit to Pattaya Elephant Village, ask the reception to organise it for you.

Room Tip: There are different rooms for different budgets/requirements. We stayed in Vila 2, which is a ground...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel is set against a natural backdrop. The entire complex is covered by trees which provides ample shade from the harsh Thai sun.
There are plenty of activities for children and adults alike. It is a very interesting resort to stay in.

I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Jason S
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Great resort with good service, and clean and nice rooms. The staff are well trained, friendly and attentive. From the reception there's a walkway through the jungle-style garden to the main resort. (A couple of nice suites are also located next to the reception, with private entrance to the family pool).

There are two pools; a family pool in the garden with slides, waterfalls, a fountain etc, and a cliff-side pool with a nice ocean view. Some rooms have in-room jacuzzi; very popular with the kids.

Birs and Bees is one of our two favorite beach destinations within driving distance from Bangkok; a great place to go for a relaxing family weekend getaway.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family