“Please don't go here”
Review of Phuket Zoo

Phuket Zoo
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Despite reading reviews on TripAdvisor before going we for some stupid reason still decided to go visit this zoo which we now regret. Negative star rating if i could.
Firstly a guy dragging a crocodile around and around this dirt enclosure (meant to be a show of sorts) we were secretly hoping for the crocodile's sake he would eat the guy. Then a poor big cat in a tiny cage. Elephants tied to the ground on arm length long chains - we felt so terrible we bought all the zoo's bananas and fed all the elephants. Then we come across what i think was meant to be reptiles or an aquarium but it was just an empty almost dark building with empty tanks and smashed tanks with a few poor looking animals, it was more scary and sad then anything.
Just avoid this place!

8  Thank jessicaw479
Write a ReviewReviews (1,164)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I just returned from Phuket & I must say being an Animal lover, I was worried about going to the Phuket Zoo due to recent Reviews, But I did & I'm so glad I did!

My Phuket Zoo tour was the Highlight of my Holiday, the animals seem very happy & well cared for, we got photos with the Elephants, Monkeys and many more.

This zoo is well worth a Visit & I must say 10 times better than Our Melbourne zoo

A Must!

4  Thank Deb-Seddon
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Every negative review of this 'zoo' is spot on - the shows were just cruel, particularly to the crocodiles who were taunted with water and sticks to react, then swung around by the tail. The monkeys were on ropes and the elephants didn't seem happy either. Speaking of elephants, there were four other elephants cruelly chained to the ground and unable to move more than a foot : words cant describe how heart breaking it was to see them continually sway their heads back and forth, in severe distress :(

The rest of the cages are filthy, crowded, not labelled and just uninteresting. Staff are more interested in selling you photos than taking care of the animals.

Seriously, if you have even the smallest amount of compassion you will find this a heart breaking experience - please do not go.

7  Thank Dipesh M
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Not for animal lovers!!! Cages are rusty and unmaintained overpacked with animals or normall group/pack animals in small cages by themselves.
The shows are disheartening ie the monkey show consists of a monkey (on a rope) on a tricycle holding a phuket zoo, and the crocodile show is these prehistoric creatures getting dragged around by their tails to position them then to get constantly hit by sticks. Not my type of entertainment, Im ashamed to admit that I spent my money on this and funded this cruelty.

2  Thank blondie84newcastle
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were on a break with family staying in Chalong in a beautiful villa 7 of us which included our young Granddaughter of just over 1 year old. We had been on several good trips for the adults and wanted to do something for our Grandchild so decided to try the Phuket Zoo. We paid 500 Bhat each for the entry fee. We walked to where a monkey show was about to begin and waited and waited for ages for it to fill to capacity, dangerously full and only one way out and people standing in the way so you could not get out if you wanted to. The show was awful these poor animals you could tell had been doing this for far too long and had to be dragged to perform it was horrible to watch. It was not entertaining in the least then outside an Orangutan with a man having pictures taken with the public animal exploitation here. Then on to poorly housed animals a dirty Zoo. Not a pleasant experience in the least. I would not recommend this Zoo to anyone with an ounce of sensitivity and love for animal and especially not for children it sets a very bad example of how people should treat animals. .

6  Thank Susieq1948