“My second home (In Phuket)”

Pier 42 Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #251 of 783 Hotels in Phuket
Reviewed 3 May 2012

If you are looking for a stylish, charming but affordable boutique hotel, the Pier 42 is the right choice. This gem still has its original courtyard and generous 2 storey structure recently renovated with a touch of Italian style.
It would be difficult in my opinion to find a similar place in Phuket for the price you pay.
The design of the guesthouse is quite cool, well furnished with handcrafted pieces from all around Thailand. Rooms are simple but nice and cosy, quite spacious.
The staff is always friendly and helpful. Breakfast is quite decent and traditional thai food in general is very tasty.
Although Pier42 is not facing the beach, the location is very convenient, not far from Rawai and Kata beaches. One way taxi fare from Airport to Chalong is around 400 THB, but the return will cost around 800 THB, the double, this is Thailand.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floor because the ground floor can be noisy due the sound of footstep...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MisterGan
s_wainwright2004, General Manager at Pier 42 Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for your stay with us, you are more than welcome to visit again. I apologise the taxi costs more on the return journey but this is a problem in Phuket with taxi drivers. We will always try and get you the best possible price. Hope to see you again, Steve

Reviewed 30 April 2012

The friendliest, most attentive staff and great amenities made for a perfect holiday. The food was pretty good too, with the best Tom Yum Goong I have ever had. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel, you will not be disppointed.

Room Tip: Beds are hard, but thats Thailand, so no problem. Ask for the topper to soften it a little....
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Kevin. We really loved having you here during Songkran and the staff miss you. I'm looking forward to seeing you, your wife and the rest of your family soon. If you need any advise just email me at steve@pierfortytwo.com.
Kind Regards, Steve
Ps- There is a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey waiting for your return :)

Reviewed 6 April 2012

After reviewing several hotels and resorts on Chalong pier I decided to stay at pier 42 and was very happy with my choice. As soon as I walked into pier 42 a felt very welcome with all the staff being so friendly. I was taken to my room which was clean, spacious and the bed was very comfortable. I was shown around the resort by a member of staff taking in the swimming pool, spa, and cafe ( which does a lovely coffee).

My room always had hot water for the shower and sink, mini bar and tv with all the cable channels.

The breakfast was ideal with cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts plus an on site cook to make you things like eggs Benedict and eggs on toast.

The location was fantastic for me as I wanted to go diving and take in boat trips to go to the Islands like Phi Phi and Coral Island. The charming manager Steven advised me on what and where to go around Phuket and made my stay there stress free.

I'm planning on returning later on in the year to Phuket and I'll be staying at pier 42 again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo

Hi Gareth. It was great to have you staying with us. The staff are looking forward to seeing you again later in the year. You will have to try the spa the next time you are back. You won't be disappointed. I took your advise and put beans on the breakfast menu so you can have your beans and toast in the morning. Take care, Steve

Reviewed 30 March 2012

I recently stayed here on a working holiday and was completely satisfied with my choice and the resort. Beautiful decor with attention to every detail, nice garden like grounds which are surprisingly quiet especially in the morning when I woke up to the sounds of birds and a rooster. This was a pleseant surprise, considering the road is busy all day in front of the resort. Wifi was essential for my stay, and the in room service and also wifi in the restaurant allowed me to work and get my business done while relaxing around the pool or grabbibg a bite to eat in the cafe. Staff were nice and friendly and more than happy to help me out get my work done. I will definately be back.

Room Tip: My room was near the back of the resort and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Dear David. I'm glad the hotel was suitable for your business trip. We have installed a Apple Mac computer in the cafe, you can now work on your emails from there also. If you wish to use the fax machine, scanner or printer we can also arrange that in the office. The Pier 42 Team hope to see you again soon. Kind Regards, Steve

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I stayed in Pier 42 and really enjoyed it. The hotel is beautiful, so are the rooms, and the staff did all they could to make me feel at home. Perfect getaway to relax - I loved the pool area and spend hours hanging out on a bean bag. Everything is nicely renovated and super clean. As all rooms (as far as I could figure it out) face the courtyard, it was also good for a quiet night of sleep.

Lovely restaurant, too. Breakfast was lovely, particularly the eggs benedict, although a little more choices would be good - nevertheless, the guests were even asked if they had any particular wishes for breakfast. Thumbs up for that!

However, one must be aware that Chalong itself has no beach, it's nothing but a pier, from where the dive boats leave, and a couple of bars and restaurants. More expats than tourists. Fine to get out for a couple of days, or for people who just come for diving. The main beaches are a bit off - you can reach them more or less easy with a motorbike - however, if you're not up for a bike ride, it can get difficult, as cabs are quite a rip-off.

Oh, and before I forget - the SPA42 was the best Spa experience ever in Thailand. And I've been in Thailand several times. They use only natural products and really pamper you wonderfully. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LaJolie

Hi Jolie. Hope all is well in Germany and looking forward to seeing you again at Pier 42. We have added a few more selections to the breakfast menu to give our customers more choice. Thanks for the advise. I'm happy you enjoyed the massage with our Spa Team, we now make our own natural products specifically for the type of treatments we offer. They are also for sale. Hope you will be back to try them. Take care, Steve

Reviewed 1 March 2012

If you must stay in quiet Chalong, this is probably one of your best options. I can't be sure because it's the only place I stayed in Chalong, but certainly you could do worse.

Upon arrival in Phuket, no airport service arrived. The information counter man happily called Pier 42 and man claiming to be the owner answered the phone. He blamed the problem on Agoda and said that it was a recurring problem. I can't prove that he's wrong, since this happened twice to me in Thailand. However the evidence isn't damning, and the safest bet is to confirm airport transfer through the Hotel itself.

I ended up booking a Phi-Phi tour with the man at the information booth, and he went ahead and included my airport transfer in the cost of that tour, which he discounted 500 baht less than the brochure price. Fine with me.

After finally arriving at the hotel late at night, I was greeted by a young man who was seemingly kind only because he was required to be. I gave him a coupon for two free cocktails which was advertised here on tripadvisor, which he apparently ignored as we never received any cocktails. He showed us the room, and left back to his post at the lower front desk (during the day time it's upstairs).

When I tried to use the wifi, I discovered a password (required by law, or so I have read), so I called the front desk, and the phone rang a few times before the clerk picked up, and promptly hung up. Was I calling at a bad time? I'd hate to bother him during his smoke break or clubbing or whatever he was doing.. When I went to the front desk again that night, I found that the front desk clerk was nowhere to be found. That's when he came walking back from the pulsating bar/club across the street smoking a cigarette, which he didn't bother to put out. Perhaps he was enjoying my two free cocktails at the bar across the street? ;)

He gave me the wifi password and proceeded with his back-breaking work. I can't imagine getting paid to smoke and mingle at a club is easy.

The room was nice, filled with recycled wood furnishings and a large bed that was actually two beds pushed together. Don't sleep in the middle if you want to avoid a sore back. I find this to be a common practice at many hotels, where they take a twin room and magically transform it into a "double bed". It wasn't much of a problem, as the beds didn't move in the night, and choosing one side or the other will afford you a comfortable rest.

The shower, despite being open to the large bathroom with no curtains or walls, actually doesn't get the entire floor wet as you might think. The bathroom floor seems to be built at enough of an angle that the water goes straight to the drain. Herein lies the problem; the drain clogs quite easily. After a standard 5-10 minute shower, you are standing in a puddle, and the only fix that I found to this problem is to pull the drain cover completely out, leaving a hole in the ground that cannot clog so easily. Don't forget to replace it, though, or your entire hotel room will smell like sewage when you return from a day out.

The soap, shampoo, and conditioner were nice and smelled good, as well as working well enough.

The refrigerator was the standard tiny sized one, mini-bar stocked, so that there's no room for any of your own things. One the first day the housekeeping staff accidentally left the door of the fridge open, so some yogurt and drinks that we had in there went bad, and the fridge never did work again after that.. I did inform the staff, who said to let them know if it continues to be a problem. I don't know what their solution planned to be, but I wasn't staying in the hotel long enough to find out what it was.

The pool was nice, but very small and in the shade through about 80% of the day, as it is completely surrounded by the hotel itself. Not exactly well designed. It looked like it hadn't been cared for extremely well in its short life, as the tiles had a nice layer of grime. It was still nice enough for a dip.

The daytime and restaurant staff were a nice contrast from the night guy. They were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good enough, although limited and basic. The best part was probably the store bought yogurts, although the omelets weren't terrible, just diluted with something. The bread was also on the dry side.

When searching for a hotel, I checked the box that said "beach" and this one came up, but I assure you it's certainly not near any beach that I could find. The pier is just two minutes away, but filled with boats, it's not any place to swim. Rent a motorbike for a couple hundred baht and you can go to one of the many beautiful beaches in Phuket, none of which are near this hotel.

Overall, this hotel is a few bad instances from being 5 stars.. a shame.

Night front desk guy
clogging shower drain / sewage smell
unfortunate refrigerator that the maid rendered inoperable
no free drinks as advertised
breakfast passable
not near any swimming beach on foot (not a huge problem, but have it in mind)
some kind of sticky residue on the floor (maybe gum). Walking around barefoot in the room leaves your feet dirty, perhaps they didn't sweep or mop it any time recently?

Most of these problems are easily enough remedied. I can see why most of the people have rated it so well and certainly my rating could easily have been higher if not for the above listed problems.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kevinhoy

Dear Kevin. Firstly let me apologise for the late response. My name is Steven Wainwright the new General Manager of Pier 42. I would like to respond to your comments and do my best to fix the issues you had with your stay with us. We do hope to see you again in the future so please contact me directly if you wish to return steve@pierfortytwo.com.
We now advise that all our customers use the taxi service we recommend at the airport. It is much more reliable, good cars and safe.
The man that greeted you upon arrival and the night porter have been dealt with. We are working hard to improve our customer service and also employing more skilled staff.
The shower we are improving to stop water spreading around the bathroom. We are also introducing a shower curtain for those that do not like open showers.
Our location is perfect for those wishing to relax, dive or go sailing as it is 1 minute from the pier. You can rent a low cost motorbike or car to beautiful beaches such Rawai or Kata which are 15 minutes away.
I really appreciate your detailed comments and will improve on them.
Again, we hope you can come see us again soon and we will do our best to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Kind Regards, Steve

Reviewed 23 February 2012

My Wife and I stayed at Pier 42 the 2nd week of Feb 2012 for 2 days, then to Phi Phi Don for 1 1/2 days, then back to Pier 42 for another 2 days. Two different rooms, both were very clean well accommodated, free bottled water and a very quiet setting except for the occasional rooster call at the rear of the resort. The entire resort is a paradise of tropical plantings and flowers. A perfect setting to either relax or walk to Pier 42 or to the very beautiful and spacious open air restaurant Kang Nang. The Pier 42 staff were accommodating and always helpful, especially Jeab the resort director who speaks excellent English and does a great job meeting traveler's needs. We checked out of the resort mid morning the 16th and drove to Patong beach for the day. Our flight to Bangkok wasn't till late evening. We drove back to Pier 42 resort and to our surprise the staff provided us with a shower in their spa to clean away the Patong beach sand and salt. We would not hesitate a return to Pier 42 as the price is very reasonable and the resort is exceptional.
Jim & Ying

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and received a very quiet room on both visits.. 2nd floor rear of resort...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple