“Loved it, warts and all”
Review of Andaman Yachting

Andaman Yachting
More attraction details
Owner description: Ours is a small, owner operated company, specialising in bespoke sailing courses and skippered charters for families and small groups. We operate in the spectacular Phang Nga Bay and Andaman Sea area, one of the World's most amazing sailing locations. Glorious sunshine, breathtaking scenery, idyllic anchorages, warm crystal clear waters and a cool breeze, making this the perfect setting for any type of sailing activity. Our yacht 'Sita' is a Beneteau First 45f5; she is a modern 'performance' cruiser with three spacious, double berth cabins and a convertible berth in the saloon. Her forward Master Cabin is particularly comfortable with en-suite head and shower compartment, plenty of 'swinging' room and a full, Queen size berth. We are proud to be a recognised RYA Training Centre, offering the full range of RYA sail cruising courses, both practical and theory, up to Coastal Skipper Yachtmaster Offshore level. We specialise in private charter 'Master Class' courses for families and small groups, with optional Thai cook on-board to take care of all the galley work and help with general crew duties (highly recommended!). We can also provide onshore accommodation for our RYA theory courses, or for a few days relaxation before or after your sailing trip. The accommodation is in our secluded, luxury pool villa, which has two double-bed guest rooms, each with A/C, en-suite, wi-fi and satellite TV. Breakfast is included and other meals can be provided if required. Please visit our web-site for prices and more information.
UK
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Loved it, warts and all”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We travelled as a group of 4 friends new to sailing, and had a great time. Credit to Mervyn who is a great host, and his lovely yacht Sita for helping to make our trip so memorable.

We were unfortunate with the weather, in that we hardly had a breath of wind in the 5 days we were aboard so motored 95% of the time on board. But it's definitely a mark of the man, that despite not being able to keep us busy as he would have liked with sailing, Mervyn proved to be an affable host and great company. He used the time well to get us to practice the main drills, and also took time to explain about navigation and other issues not covered on the competent crew syllabus.

Despite the lack of wind, I definitely feel I know enough of the basics to 'pick up the ropes' if I crewed another yacht in the future, although the lack of actual sailing was a disappointment as I may not be comfortable to move on to the Day Skipper course which was my intention - but again, the weather isn't under Mervyn's control!!!

Another drawback of the lack of wind, combined with the time of year (late April) was that the temperatures at night were hard to handle for me (even though I live in Saudi Arabia), and I found myself getting very little sleep during my time aboard.

We opted for the Thai chef, and it really did save quite a lot of hassle and helped us to enjoy the week rather than sweating away in the galley. Out of the 4 of us, there was one vegetarian, one who wouldn't eat fish or pork, and one who struggled with spicy food and cheese, which led to a pretty much impossible task for chef! As the only one who would eat everything, I found the food to be fantastic, although others in the group would possibly beg to differ as the dietary requirements really did confuse chef, but from my perspective, he did as well as could be expected short of cooking 4 dishes for every meal.

In terms of the location of the anchorages and moorings for the evenings, these were stunning, just jaw droppingly beautiful. Every morning we would wake up with a scenic bay or beach to ourselves, either to swim ashore or just admire the view of the sunrise, and the same in the evenings.

Given that the only disappointments were due to the weather, I can't recommend both Mervyn, and the experience he offers, highly enough.

Visited April 2014

Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful experience, I now LOVE sailing!!!!!!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We have just returned home from our 5 day RYA course for the entire family, my husband doing his Coastal skipper and the kids and I our Competent crew.
I was extremely nervous before the trip, checking weather forecasts every night the week prior....if only I would have known then what I know now, Mervyn!!! what a hero! literally...not only did he completely allay all my fears and turn me into someone who is now looking at her Day Skipper RYA ( with Mervyn of course) but on our second day He very much saved someones life, a guy had taken an early morning swim without checking the currents and in minutes was being swept out ...of course our wonderful Mervyn was there on hand to go and pick the exhausted but very grateful swimmerup!! Mervyn is without doubt the best instructor you can have, very knowledgable and always willing to answer any question and sharing his wealth of knowledge. Sita is a very well maintained beautiful boat and I would highly recommend paying the little extra to have the cook on board....the food was excellent. Entire family completed their courses successfully, thanks to Mervyn!! Cant recommend this enough to anyone who is considering sailing. Thank you so much Mervyn for the best experince, see you for my 'day Skipper'
Helen

Visited April 2014
Breda, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“best course ever”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We booked a 5 days RYA course for the entire family. Mervyn is the best instructor you can have. Very knowledgable and always willing to answer any question and always sharing all he knows (and that is a LOT). Sita is the best equipped boat I sailed on so far (did about 12 similar trips) and very spacious inside, we were there with two teenagers and Mervyn managed to engage them very well. We booked the boat with cook and food and can recommend this, food Mervyn provided was excellent quality and quantity cook made the trip a holiday..... Entire family completed their courses successfully, thanks to Mervyn!! Can recommend this to anyone! Aat

Visited November 2013
2 Thank aat v
The Hague, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“Superb Yachtmaster Offshore Preparation”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Karin and I, just spent the most wonderful week together with Mervyn on his Yacht Sita, a 45ft Benneteau First. Mervyn prepared me really well for my RYA Yachtmaster Offshore exam.
Sita has comfortable accommodation and is a wonderful boat to sail. She is very well maintained, extremely well rigged and equipped and is fun to sail.
Mervyn, a brilliant and dedicated instructor and entertainer is a very experienced sailor and has many funny stories to tell. We also booked the option of an on-board Thai cook who prepared delicious meals every day. We thoroughly enjoyed cruising around Phang Nga Bay down to the south of Phuket.
I highly recommend Andaman Sailing with Mervyn, Sita and the option with the onboard cook. Mervyns advice was crucial to my success with the RYA Yachtmaster Offshore exam.

Visited October 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great course, comfortable boat!”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Just finished my 5 day competent crew course with Mervyn on his lovely 45 ft yacht, my first sailing certification! Mervyn is a friendly ad affable instructor who made the learning process not just effective but really fun too :) . The yacht is perfectly comfortable and mervyn's wife's pre-prepared meals were delicious!! The course was thorough and you can't ask for a more beautiful location to learn to sail, ad we took time to relax and even have some beers :) Excellent 5 days and I feel that I have become a competent 'competent crew member'

Visited September 2013