“Good food, great service”

Trong Dong Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 279 Restaurants in Da Lat
Price range: US$3 - US$7
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Trong Dong - a homey place for your meals! Dear valued customers, Every year we close our beloved restaurant 2 weeks for vacation. This year our schedule is from August 20 to September 5. We will reopen our service on September 6, 2015. We would like to thank you very much for your great support and hope to see you all again :) Cheers!
Da Lat, Vietnam
“Good food, great service”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife had perused the menu at this little restaurant on one of her walks, and reported that they had a wide and interesting selection of dishes, so we wandered on in last night when I was feeling too tired and lazy to cook. Glad we did. We had a very nice meal, and the service was excellent. Our server was very sweet and very on top of things. Additionally, for those of us with limited VietNamese, her English is excellent. I have read some reviews here of people stating that they were disappointed that much of the menu seemed western, and I am having some trouble understanding that. It seemed to me that the majority of dishes were VietNamese. We ordered three VietNamese dishes, and it was certainly not difficult to find them. We started out sharing a VietNamese veggie salad with lotus stem that turned out to be the star of the evening. A huge plateful of julienned veggies dressed with a subtle and light rice vinegar dressing and served with tasty shrimp chips. Excellent! We followed it up with a dish of roasted chicken with a tart, golden plum sauce that was refreshingly free of the sugar found in many plum sauces, and a dish of fish in lemon sauce. The fish was served with rice, and the only disappointment of the night was that this portion was a bit small. The chicken, on the other hand, was generous and tasty. With a glass of wine and a mug of artichoke tea, the bill came to about $14. Good value and a very pleasant experience. Well worth a visit.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank rmezoff
Dear rmezoff,
We would like to thank you very much for your very detail comment. It will not only provide useful information for the community I think, but also help us to strengthen our service. Our chef already adjusted the fish portion as you recommended. We hope to see you again.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Australia
“Forget the atmosphere, the food and warm service are superb.”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Go to Trong Dong at 220 Phan Dinh Phung Street and you will not want to go to any other restaurant in DaLat. We chanced upon this restaurant and it was a happy accident. The menu is extensive and whilst all the dishes sounded great our choice of Spring Rolls and Pork Riblets in Clay Pot was absolutely marvellous. Whilst the decor was austere,the restaurant was exceedingly clean and the warmth of the service more than made up for this. It is a little out of the centre but do yourselves a favour and get a short taxi ride to this restaurant. You will not regret it.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank CarolsAustralia
Dear CarolsAustralia,
We are happy to read your detail review and that you like our dishes. Your advice on the decor is valuable to us; we will pay more attention at it. We hope to serve you again.
Wellington, New Zealand
“Worth the walk”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We got really really lost when trying to find this place (in the rain too), and when we got there it wasn't open yet, but we waited around and we are glad we did! The vegetarian lotus salad was delicious, and the pho was really good too. I found a little piece of plastic in mine, and the lady who served us was so so apologetic, and wanted to know why I didn't send it back ASAP! Truth was it was so delicious that the plastic didn't bother me at all. Plus she insisted on discounting our meal, so it was even cheaper than cheap! Really cute place and I would definitely recommend. Plus they played the backstreet boys a couple times while we were there which always makes me damn happy!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank katelouiseaugusta
Dear katelouiseaugusta,
We appreciate greatly that you ducked the rain to come to us. I hope you did not wait in the rain for long. We are happy and lucky that you were satisfied although we had some mistake. We learned from it. Please let us know if you have any chance to come back to Da Lat.
Shenzhen, China
“nice service”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The whole circumstance is nice. It happens that the steak I ordered was a little bit tough. The other dish we ordered was ok.

Visited April 2014
Giang P, Owner at Trong Dong Restaurant, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Minhong,
Thank you very much for spending time reviewing our restaurant to help us improve our service. I remembered your family visit. I am so sorry that you are not satisfied with the steaks. We already checked and learned from the case. I hope we can serve you more delicious steaks next time. See you again.
Singapore, Singapore
“A bit disappointing”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We came here based on the reviews, but were not really that thrilled with what we got. Ambience is really mediocre, service decent with limited English, but most of all we expected some better food. Other options more rewarding in dalat.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank singaporesling999
Giang P, Owner at Trong Dong Restaurant, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear singaporesling999,
I am sorry to know that you are somehow not happy with the visit. I understand that every one has his/her own taste, however, it would be a great opportunity for us to improve if you could tell us in more detail about what food you ordered, how it tasted, and the staff who served you (because I don't think English is a problem in our restaurant at all). I hope to see you again.