“A very warm stay in a chilled mountain town.”
Review of YK Home Villa

YK Home Villa
Ranked #72 of 396 Da Lat B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival, a very warm welcome by Thou, the excellent manager. Room was upgraded for the same price, without asking, just because it was available. Rooms are kept clean, quite large. Breakfast is moderately-sized, but the variety is excellent (pancakes with honey and lemon). Coffee is excellent and the dining room is lighted by soft sun.
Hotel is a bit far-off the center, but they get you a taxi by no time and transportation to town is quick and cheap (1-1.5$). Also walkable by 20 minutes.
Thou gave us plenty of honest, valuable information about everything: from trip options, pros and cons for each, what should we expect of prices, great restaurant recommendations. Helped us when my partner was a bit sick and overall gave her heart to the place.
We truly felt at home. Giving a very strong recommendation for the place.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank Tsafrir L

Reviewed 15 September 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the YK Home Villa and found it to be a very well run family hotel, in a pleasant semi-rural setting. Our double upstairs room had a pretty view looking out on to a vegetable garden field, very appropriate as this cool hillside region of Vietnam is known as the country's vegetable bowl.
Our room was very clean and spacious and I was pleased to see there was a doona on the bed as the temperature in Dalat is considerably cooler than elsewhere. The maximum temperatures were about 20 which was quite a contrast to Nha Trang our previous stop. I would have appreciated a small heater in the room and possibly slightly thicker towels in the bathroom. Pleased to say, the hot water was hot and much appreciated due to the colder climate.
Our breakfasts were good and it is possible to eat an evening meal in the hotel by prior arrangement. The dinner menu is also featured on the breakfast menu.

The daughter of the house was a very efficient and caring young lady with excellent English. Her brother was also very pleasant and helpful. She gave us a map on arrival and told us how to walk in to town, about 20 minutes away by foot. I will admit we often got lost due to our bad sense of direction but we had mastered the trip by day 3! The map which had a photo and the address of the hotel on it was also very handy to show taxi drivers, some of whom had no idea where the hotel was.
Overall the YK Home Villa was one of our favourite places to stay during our 3 weeks in Vietnam.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PenelopeHobart
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We chose this hotel based on TA ratings and we were extremely disappointed. The hotel was rated first in the B&B category and we cannot figure out – why??
The hotel is located out of town which means calling a taxi (1$-1.5$) whenever we went out or back to the hotel.
We stayed in a room on the third floor (no elevator) and because of the shape of the room (the pitched roof) we could stand upright and use only a half of it. So the room was barely big enough for 2 people and luggage. The room was basic with a few furniture (no closet) and felt bare. We never felt comfortable in the room.
The room was not clean. The bathroom condition was terrible. The towels and the sheets were thin and torn.
The wi fi is non existent.
Breakfast was less than basic. (the smallest breakfast we had in 3 weeks in Vietnam).
But the worst – We couldn't get any sleep at the hotel. The water pump which made an awful sound of drilling in the room was working until 11.30 p.m. and at 5.00 a.m. the church bells nearby started ringing and kept ringing for 2 - 3 minutes to make sure we are awake.
The staff was nice and friendly, but we have found this almost everywhere in Vietnam, and it certainly does not make up for the many crucial disadvantages of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Irit832
Reviewed 11 July 2012

If your looking for a cheap place to stay that is clean and has no frills then YK is great. Staff are excellent, they are a family and the children all speak good English. They assist you in seeing all the sites and recommend food. Rooms are smallish, bathroom has everything you need and it is all clean. The hotel is located slightly out of town. Takes about 20 minutes or so to walk in, or a very cheap taxi. Good value for money hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 25 June 2012

YK picked me up at the airport, which meant the driver knew exactly where the hotel is located--it's a bit off the beaten track. Cost was only $10 for 19km drive. Young woman at front desk very helpful, with good English. The hotel is very quiet, but it's a strenuous, half-hour at least, hike from the center of town, assuming you don't get lost along the way and can navigate the unpaved streets, no sidewalks and constant stream of motorbikes. That's about the only downside. Hotel makes a very pleasant, lightly peppery pho for breakfast, coffee was good. Also will cook dishes for other meals upon request (no restaurants nearby that I could see). Dalat's temperature is definitely a change of pace from the steamy coast--light sweater needed in May, and there can be heavy downpours.

Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: the Buddhist temple is very peaceful with beautiful gardens. Crazy house is interesting, as is Bao Dai's summer palace, which allows a brief look into the history of the last Vietnamese emperor. If tour is booked with Sinh tourist, they will pick you up at the hotel for the tour, no extra charge. Their day-long tour of Dalat covered a wide range of local activities and attractions, and the tour guide spoke excellent English. On the street above the center market are vendors of coffees, teas, etc. Prices for Luwak and Vietnam's own weasel coffee were about 100,000 VND, while in Hanoi the weasel goes for 400,000 and Luwak is out of sight.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so depending on how heavy your luggage is, you may not want the top floor. I w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank travelerS_Korea
Reviewed 12 June 2012

my husband and I stayed here for 4 nights recently and loved it. The family who own it are really helpful and friendly and at no point did anyone try to sell me a tour! The hotel is a little way out of town and this makes it a peaceful (well, no moto beeps) spot to relax after a day of trekking. It costs around 30,000 to get a taxi to town or about a 15-20 minute walk (if raining the walk can be a bit muddy).
The breakfast is good and we ate dinner at the hotel twice which was nice.
I think the rooms are a good size. I would probably disagree with the last review- I think the rooms are of good standard for the price. The bathroom wasn't 5 star quality and was a bit tired, but was perfectly clean- no better or worse than most of the places we have stayed in Vietnam. Like all reviews, everyone has different expectations. We loved the bedroom- spacious, great countryside/farming views and lovely comfy bed. Overall great stay- I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank borntotramp
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This hotel is rated #1 in the B&B category and I have to say after rereading the reviews I found so few people who had the same opinion as I did and for the life of me have no idea what the rest of you saw in this place that I did not see. It seems to me that it would be people who travel very little or who have very low expectations when traveling.

The family that runs the hotel could not be nicer or more helpful or friendly and I agree wholeheartedly with all the reviews. The breakfast is fine. Even that the hotel is a bit out of the center which annoyed some people was no issue for me and it was an easy walk into town that I enjoyed a lot.

My issue is with the rooms. I stayed in the suite and the space was more than ample and in fact extremely generous. The view onto a garden/vegetable patch was lovely and there is even a very nice terrace with that room. So what am I complaining about? The condition and maintenance of the rooms. The decor was not to my taste at all but it was the grotty bathtub, torn shower curtain,paper thin towels, a room that was cleaned daily but never felt clean,etc. I personally never felt comfortable in the room. I was shocked to learn that the hotel is only 2 years old. The attention to detail is sorely lacking in my view and I would suggest that very little money could rectify the situation but for now the hotel needs a renovation. I would never rely on any of the people who wrote all these amazing reviews and I would hate any of you to be my travel agent!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo