“You Must Be Joking”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stumbled onto this cafe/restaurant after hearing about it in Lonely Planet. Upon arrival we were seated by a young guy and followed normal procedure. The menu had a lot of choice and certain items were reasonably priced. Having eaten nothing but Vietnamese food for the last 8 days I fancied a change and opted for Nachos for a started and a Sandwich. I understand that unless you order local food you run the risk of being disappointed however I chose to risk it and needless to say I wish I hadnt. Firstly the Nachos I was served were the worst I have ever seen in my entire life. I honestly thought it was a joke when they were put down on the table. What I could make out my Nachos were quite simply a packet of crisps (potato chips) opened up and put on a plate. They had then drizzled some very suspect mince "beef" onto the top of the crisps. They then added some fried onions and a very ungenerous amount of cheese. I would not serve this food to 5 yr olds at a childrens party. I was then charged 50.000 dong for said Nachos which if I had paid 10,000 would have been generous. If you are the owner or manager and you read this please remove this item from your menu until your chef can grasp what Nachos are. If you reply saying you have many satisfied customers who have eaten these I wont believe you as they are awful and anyone who would enjoy must be from another planet, Secondly my sandwich was ok, lacked in filling and taste but was ok. I would recommend ordering Vietnamese food if you come here and nothing else.

1  Thank stemac1

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I've eaten in this restaurant for few times, the meal was very nice. Lovely Vietnamese and western cuisine, and for drinks as well.

1  Thank easyrider-adventure
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Had breakfast at Chocolate Cafe, at the recommendation of our hotel and a fellow traveler. We thought it was basically/barely edible, and way overpriced. We ordered 2 vietnamese coffees (which were fine), one order of toast with jam (nothing special, but fine), and one stirfry noodle with chicken (awful, basically tasted like spaghetti with sweet chili sauce dumped all over it). Total cost was 150,000 dong ($7.50 US). Ridiculously overpriced for the area! We would not recommend Chocolate Cafe.

2  Thank PrncssMBP
Reviewed 2 June 2013

If you're seeking a bit of comfort food (i.e. Western food) - then this is a great place. We came here several times for dinner, snack and breakfast. Dinner was very good. Very tasty and well prepared. Breakfast was OK - white toast with scrambled or poached eggs and some skimpy shreds of bacon. The ice cream is very good - nice and smooth and creamy and well presented. This place was well-frequented by other western travelers and with good reason.

1  Thank A_Pair_of_OWLS
Reviewed 12 May 2013

It was about time to have some European food for a change and I thought that would be a great restaurant to go to as it is also recommended in the lonely planet. However I found the food not acceptable tasty, the herbs were totally wrong and the pasta not cooked properly. The staff was not really friendly and there were people sleeping in one corner on a couch, with head on a dining table etc. I found the price for the amount of food not quite fair. Anyway, I was happy once I was out of that place again.

1  Thank biggiboss