“Recommended - probably the best bet in a difficult city for hotels”

La Sapinette Hotel Dalat
Ranked #12 of 78 Hotels in Da Lat
New Haven, Connecticut
“Recommended - probably the best bet in a difficult city for hotels”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We were comfortable and happy in this modern, clean and spacious hotel. The reason I say Dalat is a difficult hotel town is because I think it is a less Westernized city than Saigon, Hanoi, Hue, etc - which of course makes it more interesting, and it also caters to many vacationing Vietnamese who have different expectations as to bathroom fixtures, whether there's toilet paper, food, etc. (By the way, if you're female and not yet in Vietnam, it will be helpful to do some research on Vietnamese toilet procedures, and do not leave your hotel without some toilet paper in your purse.) It appeared to me that there were just a few hotels set up for each Americans and Western Europeans, and I think there were other hotels many catering to Russians and Chinese, When I was trying to pick a hotel, it sounded like the Sofitel had seen better days, and the other leading contender had lots of steep stairs and other issues, plus they were a lot more expensive. I tried for weeks to get a room confirmed at the Dreams Hotel but although I got one email back, I never could get a confirmation. So, the specifics about this hotel. First, you don't need to use a booking website, just go on the La Sapinette website, get their email address, and write to them - it will be cheaper, more flexible and you'll get want you want. I had booked 2 nights thru Agoda, and then had to email the hotel anyway, and then I booked an additional two nights directly and it was cheaper. In our email correspondence I learned that I could only get a shower ( as opposed to just a bathtub) if I took a junior suite - which I did - at $80 a night it was not a problem. There is a hot water issue in this hotel! In our first room on the 6th floor, the hot water ran out after 5 minutes. We switched to the 3d floor after testing revealed that it had hot water for 8 minutes. After that we were careful to conserve the hot water during the shower and could comfortably extend it to 15 minutes without running out. Otherwise the room and bathroom were great. The breakfast was included and was fine. When the hotel was more full there was more selection. I think that the hotel is occasionally empty as it was our first night - we arrived late and frankly I was concerned about where I had landed us, as the street seemed dark and industrial. I was wrong. By morning, it was bright and lively, with a large store attached to the hotel, and the next day the hotel filled up, with both independent travelers and a German tour group. Mostly I want to say that the staff is extremely nice and eager to please. If you have trouble getting something from restaurant or housekeeping, just ask the front desk staff. I don't agree with comments about the location as Dalat is a large city and it's attractions are spread out, so I don't see why it would be particularly helpful to stay near the central market. Taxis are plentiful and cheap.

Room Tip: I think hot water on lower floors may last longer. If you want a shower, and not just a bath, ask f...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bbi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed two nights in this hotel and we were really happy with the standard and service. Only problem was the location a bit far from city centre but since taxis come cheap it was ok. Breakfast was included and fine without being overwhelming.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This is a review of two different trips to La Sapinette. My wife and kids and sister in law came during the June/July time frame of 2011 and stayed for four days on our last visit to VN. They had a wonderful time and the staff recognized them and were treated very very well. I had to stay back in the States to work so when I came to Asia this time for business in HK, my wife wanted to go to DaLat for some R&R. We flew in and went straight to La Sappinette again.

On this trip, (Feb 8-15 2012 and I'm still here), the worldwide economic downturn and the after-Tet season has the hotel sparsely reserved. We stay in the executive suite again this time. Since there were not enough guests, the breakfast buffet wasn't offered but you can have your own cook-to-order-as-much-as-you-want-to-eat breakfast. This is fine with us and actually seems more relaxing.

Facility is again top notch for this four-star hotel. The executive suite has 1.5 bathrooms, which means that there is a half bath in one room and a full bath in the other. The bathrooms are fabulous and spotlessly clean. The staff is extremely attentive, and I would say that it has been an improvement since we first came here. Obviously they listened and made improvement.

Still not perfect but you are not paying Four Seasons rate (there is no Four Seasons in VN and even the Four Seasons slip up now and then). On past trips, when we checked in, staff offered drinks. They didn't this time and we waited a bit but a gentle question by myself brought an "oh" and two juice drinks were produced in short order, which helps ease the check-in process. May be drinks are no longer offered during check-in and they were just being polite in offering drinks to our party this time but at any rate, it shows that staff is accommodating and willing to please. I would say there is no attitude..simply "please give us a second and we'll be right back with the drinks." Your experience may differ but we were pleased.

I'm particularly pleased with the workout facility. Brand new equipment and a huge dumb bell rack. Different machines to please most health nuts. No swimming pool but you wouldn't want to swim unless you have a wetsuit (Dalat is known and actually is famous for its cool weather).

We are very pleased with how quiet and relaxing the hotel is. We also do some spot checking of other hotels (Ana Mandara, Sammy, Da Lat Palace, etc.) and still return to La Sapinette. The only other local hotel we may possibly go to in the near future is Dalat Eden by the Lake but it's far out of town and quite a bit more expensive. That would be another Valentine Week trip some other year.

Overall, we still think La Sapinette has the best value and accommodating staff. It's sufficiently away from the noisy central area that it feels like we are on vacation. Nearby market and shop fulfills all our needs and the central area is a short taxi ride or motorbike ride away. Free shuttle from the hotel also helps. It's wonderful returning back to the hotel at the end of the day, far from the ubiquitous "beep beep" of the taxis and motorbikes that clog Vietnam streets. As some other reviewers noted, the bed and bedding and pillows are wonderful and cloud-like.

Free high speed Wi-Fi. Yes! Dining room staff (Thach, the two Nhungs, and reception and cleaning staff all shine and smiles aplenty while they dispense service efficiently).

We like how new the hotel is but again, it's the friendly and efficient staff that kept bringing us back. We are paying 2/3-star US hotel prices for 5-star service and at least 4-5 star rooms so we can hardly complain and we hope management continues to emphasize the value of staff friendliness, eager helpfulness and efficiency (something we think they have done as we have been here four times and have noticed improvement and hope they keep on doing it).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Powaycouple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed her just for 1 night, was very nice staff were very helpfull, i think we may have been the only people staying there, so quite was nice to stay there no noise of beep beep's food on the resturant was of good quaility. Would stay here again

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Let me preface my review by saying that I am an American who has lived overseas a long time and currently live in Ho Chi Minh City. We paid $120 per night for 3 of us in a Junior Suite, including breakfast, and we don't feel it was worth the price.

The hotel room was nice and clean and generally roomy and well-appointed. Nice comfy bed, pillows, etc. We were dismayed to find that there were a few things in disrepair and we couldn't get them fixed while staying there. Perhaps it was due to being there at Tet (we stayed 3 nights - Jan. 24-27 - Tet was the 23rd so it was still during the holiday), but we just feel they are letting the hotel fall into disrepair when they could easily fix things. It was little things - we had a "Junior Suite" with 2 TVs and both of the remote controls didn't work. It took us all 3 days of taking the remotes to the front desk to get them to replace the batteries. They kept giving them back to us saying they were fixed and then we'd get to the room and find they still didn't work. And, some of the lights in the ceiling of both the bedroom and the bathroom didn't work. We told the front desk repeatedly and they never did fix this. Also, we had our son in an extra bed in our room (plenty of room since it was a small suite) but they kept forgetting and not leaving extra glasses nor towels nor coffee/tea/complimentary water for the third person. You'd think they'd remember or see the extra bed or something. And, they didn't clean the bathroom quite as well as they should have. They didn't clean the toilet seat off even once while we were there (we kept seeing the same spot and just left it to see if they would clean it off - they didn't) and they did a poor job of cleaning the glass shower door. One day I swear they didn't clean it at all and left soapy drops all over it. Also some mold in the corners of the shower. A few tiles beginning to crack but no effort to fix them. Despite our asking to have the sheets changed on our bed one of the days, they didn't change the sheets at all - same sheets for all 3 nights. Normally that would not be a problem but we did need them changed because one, shall we say, "became soiled", but they did not change them. Both armrests on one of the chairs in the room were broken. Only needed some screws to fix them, but that wasn't done either. Cushion on the ottoman was no longer connected to the ottoman and kept coming off. Okay, all little problems, but things add up and made us wonder why we were paying $120 per night....

Ok, about the breakfast - "excellent" and "sumptuous buffet"? Are these other people in the same hotel I was in? Breakfast was lousy. I've had better buffets at much cheaper hotels. Okay, from an Asian point of view maybe it was ok, but certainly from a "western" point of view it was marginal. and, it could be so easily improved! There were several hot dishes provided each day but they were only Asian dishes - noodles, rice, and such. There was some bacon, but they must have boiled it or something. It wasn't the crisp, straight pieces of bacon that an American would like. Nice buffets offer both - bacon that is less done and perhaps "curly" but also bacon that is more done and straight and crispy. There was day old (at least) sliced white bread, but no whole wheat and the white bread was old and dry. The 6-slot toaster only had 3 slots working so numerous people had troubles with it, burned toast, gave up on toast, etc. There was 1 container of dry cereal labeled "corn flakes" and it had some sort of chocolate round puffy cereal in it. No other cereal. You could have eggs made to order and there was also a Pho station and I guess those are pretty good, but I don't eat eggs so I wasn't that impressed. They did have peach juice and apple juice. There was whole milk for the cereal, but it wasn't cold. There was water. There was very little fruit - watermelon, dragon fruit and pineapple - and generally only 1 kind each day. Let's see, what else might be considered "western" .... well, they did have some cheese - slice and made into little tiny wedges of cheese on a plate. I mean tiny - slices about 3 cm long with one end being about 1 cm wide and then pie slice shaped to a point. Why so small, I wonder? No yogurt, no other cereals, no potatoes, no hot cereal, no good sausages, no pancakes/french toast, no nice pastries, no croissants, no other bread options. Okay, so the buffet was mostly Asian and we thought we'd try some of it. But, the rice was cold and the noodles were greasy. And, to top it all off, they tended to run out of things and wouldn't refill them. We asked numerous times (even in Vietnamese) and they just wouldn't go get more of anything - they seemed to be hoping breakfast time would be over first. The last day we didn't bother to go to the "included" breakfast and went to the Da Quy (Wild Sunflower) restaurant instead. They had a great breakfast for $3-$5 apiece. Much better than the buffet at the hotel.

Others have said the service at this hotel was great, but we didn't find that to be true. Maybe they were busier because it was Tet, but we didn't get much help nor satisfaction. The maids didn't even come until after noon, even when we left out the door sign to make up our room when we left early in the morning. Dining staff delayed at breakfast and didn't refill things. Front desk staff didn't get things fixed for us. The only guy who really helped out was the bellboy who carried our luggage.

We thought about having dinner there at La Sapinette the first night, but decided not to because it was a set dinner and we weren't thrilled with the menu. Also, no diet Pepsi nor other diet soda available (it is available at several other restaurants in town.) I'm just as glad we didn't eat any other meals there.

Okay, now the gym. It was a joke. They had evidently has some flooding problem and the rooms they use for the gym and its associated rooms as well as the massage room were all abandoned. When you looked at them, they smelled mildewed. The gym equipment was set up in some other small area. No towels, no water, nothing other than the equipment, half of which was in disrepair with broken cables and such.

There seemed to be a grocery store associated with the hotel, but it wasn't open while we were there so I can't rate it.

In summary, the hotel was clean enough, comfortable enough but shouldn't really be considered a 4 star hotel and they shouldn't charge 4 star prices unless they keep the hotel up and improve their service.

I won't be returning to this hotel unless I hear that management has decided to renovate/repair/retrain their staff. Surely there is a better value out there.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ScoutKatie
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We arrived at La Sapinette after checking every hotel in town. Not a single one had a room as it was just after Tet, however the exceptionally polite staff here went out of their way to help us, even calling places they thought may have space. Eventually they took a chance and let us have a room that had been reserved, but the guests hadn't checked in. The hotel is quieter than most as it is a little way from the centre, but this is an advantage in my opinion. There are two free shuttle busses each way every day, so not an issue. The rooms are spotless, well laid out and have excellent facilities. The king size beds and cloud like pillows are a true force to be reckoned with. The breakfast buffet was sumptous, with western and Asian dishes aplenty, hot coffee and tea, fruit, cheese, pastries etc. I really cannot fault this place - spot on!

• Stayed January 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This hotel was lovely and I would highly recommend it. The rooms were clean and large, the staff extremely helpful and courteous. Even though it is a bit out of the centre it is only a $3 taxi ride or you can use the hotels shuttle bus. The breakfast was also excellent and I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family