“Art deco meets Vietnam food”

Le Cafe de la Poste
Ranked #55 of 301 Restaurants in Da Lat
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 November 2013

After competing in the 3rd Vietnam International choir competition in Hoi An, we spent several weeks touring Vietnam. This review is by the Annie part of HenknAnnie.

The standout dish from several meals in this lovely art deco bit of French architectural history was the roasted duck Vietnamese style. Every piece is individually wrapped in a thin layer of duck fat and the result is tender, succulent and lovely.

Other great dishes included artichokes and a crème brulee dessert that was light, fluffy and well balanced.

The restaurant is part of the Palace Dalat complex and while you are there, don't miss going to see the original Palace, which is now a luxury hotel. If you can stay there, so much the better but all I could do was look longingly at the amazing décor. It was built I the forties together with the Palace 2 and the Café de la Poste is next to Palace 2.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was my third trip to Dalat.... and my scouting for a good alternative to pho's and springrolls was successful finally! The sign was promising and so were internal decorations. Attentive, professional and smiling waiters... so far, so good! Interesting menu and wine list, orders placed. Reasonable waiting time, here come the dishes! Great onion soup without icebergs of rubber cheese floating, chicken in mustard sauce perfectly cooked and a good calvados as cherry on the cake. I enjoyed every minute and avery bite.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Our first night in the city saw us take a 20 minute walk from our hotel to the restaurant. it was empty except for two other tables. The food was average, but sadly my breaded pork smelled really bad. Dessert of strawberries and cream was disappointing as the strawberries were sour.

1  Thank Kevindo76
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed across the street and had breakfast here each morning the buffet was better than average the dinners were ok the desserts were disappointing, the prices very high for Vietnam, the service was excellent.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

I had two meals here during my three day stay in Dalat. The first was a lunch and the second was -- with a degree of cajoling -- a breakfast. I say I had to cajole a breakfast because we arrived at 9:55 am when they were already closing the service and transitioning to lunch. Well, we convinced the server to offer breakfast!

The food was all very nicely prepared and tasty. The bread and pastries are of particular note, perhaps the best baguette and croissant I've had outside of France!

Dalat seems to have a dearth of restaurants serving Western food, but Cafe de la Poste is a real gem (plus they have local food if one is in the mood), and any visitor should stop by.