“Luxurious buildings but the staff and service were lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Dalat Edensee Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Da Lat
Coolamon, New South Wales, Australia
“Luxurious buildings but the staff and service were lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

So let me start by saying the setting is absolutely gorgeous, right on the lake and the buildings are very grand. Not to my taste though, it feels like it is trying too hard and only appeals to a certain demographic of antique, guild frame and huge chandelier loving people. I did not get a warm and welcoming feeling at all from the staff. Being in my late 20s maybe they thought I wasn't posh or rich enough to be staying here. The shuttle bus thing bugged me. The timings weren't very good and whilst we got one in, we had to catch a taxi back, it is a bit out of town too, which would be fine if the shuttle service was more regular. I agree with the tigers, that, the staff aren't forthcoming with information about what to do around the area and I was very disappointed that there was no walking track around the lake for us to actually enjoy a stroll around it.
I have stayed at 5 star resorts before and always been welcomed and made to feel so valued, here I felt as though anything I asked was an inconvenience and the staff treated me like I was not worthy of staying there.
I think you could find better places to stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Ho Chi Minh City, null, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

This resort is absolutely fantastic and well worth a visit for even a long period.

We stayed in a house near the lake with a fantastic view and we really enjoy the scenery.

The food was gourmet style breakfast and fantastic gourmet dinners for lunch and dinner, I can highly recommend this resort as one of the best I have been to. The staff are outstandingly good and very service minded, the owners should be proud.

Room Tip: Select a house near lake
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tho V
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Attended wedding here. Management, miss Tien, only interested in money. Asked bride and groom to pay in middle of wedding! No facilities for outdoor function in wet weather. Display wet before couple saw it. POOR!
No respect for bride and groom.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jan W
Corby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

At the last minute we decided to change from our cheap central hotel to the edensee and we were very pleased with our choice. It was about £100 for two people for two nights including breakfast. The room was amazing, clean ad large and closer to a suite than a hotel room.

Other reviewers in her have commented on the staff being unfriendly. I didn't not find this. The staff were clearly well trained and helped out whenever they were asked. Did they approach is to enquire about our lives? No. But this is a high quality hotel and I would expect that elsewhere either.

We are in the restaurant one night and the food was lovely. Very satisfying portions, although a little inflated in price for Vietnam. We had two courses with two alcoholic drinks and two non alcoholic drinks and it was £44 which is expensive for Vietnam!!!

The only disappointment I had with the hotel was the spa. We booked a 60min Vietnamese spa and I was disappointed with the quality. The foot massage for me was non existent, where as my husband having the same massage got one, my back was bruised the next day and the head massage was painful. This was also an inflated price and disappointed me more as we book a spa hotel so we could relax after a full day hiking in the jungle.

All in all the hotel is beautiful and relaxing and I would definitely recommend it. Just don't book a massage!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

It doesn't happen often but it does happen finding that hidden gem that is. Well i recently took a tour group to Vietnam and had Footprint (my in country tour operator) book us into the Edensee Lake Resort at Dalat. As we entered the foyer we all had to take a breath, the sheer beauty was incredible. At once the staff were in action pandering to our every need first an upgrade, then oh you have driven from Sia gon lets get you settled in and then here go to the health club and have a free massage, a free dinner for you tonight and to top it off a room upgrade. This treatment went on for the duration of our stay. Staff eager to converse with you at every turn. Yes the Edense is a little out of town please do not let this put you off as the shuttle bus will have you in Dalat in 10-15 mins. On one occassion the shuttle bus was full no problem a driver and car made available imediately and off we went.
The resort: World class and more overlooking a lake quiet, serene peaceful tucked away in a pine plantation.
Facilities: Edensee has it all tennis, pool, golf (near by) lake activities health centre and more.
Staff: As good as i have ever encounted world wide, so beautifil,friendly, helpful but most of all genuine and really want to interact.
Location: Perfect out of the hustle and bustle so beatiful and peacefully quiet.
Anyone going to Dalat i urge you to stay at the Edensee, I was going to keep this a secret but that would be selfish.
Best of all it is so well priced,

Room Tip: A lake view room is the way to go small balcony chill out zone and very well priced. Have a few dr...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John B
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in this hotel using a package worth 250USD which included a dinner and spa massage for 2.
The pluses:
- The rooms (including the bathroom) are large and clean.
- I loved the fireplace heater and the portable heater in the bathroom.
- The dinner and spa massage was top class.
- The breakfast, one buffet and one ala carte was really wholesome.
- Gorgeous views of the lake
- Nice pool, area to play badminton, table tennis and fussball.
The minuses:
- I wish the shuttle buses to the city center was more frequent. Only 3 buses a day is too little, especially since there is no convenience store or restaurant walking distance from the hotel. So you feel "stuck" at times.
- We had some trouble with the water supply in the bathroom.
- I wish the reception staff could be more friendly/informative. For example, along with the welcome drink or even in the in-room-folders, they could have included some maps, information about the area, ways to access the lake, routes for small treks/walks around the hotel if any. I felt all this information was lacking. Most of the cheaper hotels in the city offered better maps and easy rider bike tours which we couldnt find here.

If you do not care about exploring Dalat and just want to relax, i would highly recommend this place. Its really romantic too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Julie J
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is a relatively new resort, developed from what I learned by a wealthy Vietnamese entrepreneur who lives in Germany.

Set on the top of a Dalat mountain with outstanding views of the Eden lake, and Reminiscent of an old, sprawling, upper class Bavarian lake resort, it oozes European touches throughout, including the extensive marble everywhere (including where you'd never look), top quality imported German and Italian plumbing fixtures, handsome mosaic marble floors and great assembly rooms, ornate wood carved bar areas, etc.

Dalat it leaf is a wealthy area, producing a tremendous wealth of food for the nation, and at its high altitude, much cooler (fresh) than the rest if the nation, which as a foreigner travelling in August was quite welcome.

The relative cost was very low, and it FAR outdid the balance of 5 star hotels we have stayed at throughout Vietnam , including the Sofitel Metropole Hanoi (overrated), ?victoria
Hoi An (good for a beach side resort which I normally am not a fan of) and Nikko Saigon (Japanese run, so very 'sterile' but very good nevertheless).

As to the food, they fare well here, I'd give them. B or Bplus, but if they focus a little energy here, they could be outstanding. In fact with god attention here, I see this place as a fine candidate to be a Relais and Chateau property....and a special one at that.

As to spa, while beautifully appointed, the staff is simply not trained to an international standard, and so our massages were only 'OK'....but felt good nevertheless and were cheap. That said, the indoor pool may be one of the most handsome you'll ever see. Like a roman paradise, with marble statues, ceiling frescos, etc...truly gorgeous, and overlooking the valley and lake.

Overall, the property and finishes are absolutely outstanding and mount the overall score for this resort as a 5!

We were there during low season, so it was not busy at all, and the service and attention was therefore extra special I suspect.

If you have a chance, try Phat tire tours and go canyoning for a day while you're there. Good fun.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family