“dull, sad food and difficult service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Perth, Australia
“dull, sad food and difficult service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Writing this having just visited and after reading the other reviews I almost can't believe we ate at the same place. To begin with our order of vegetarian spring rolls (nem chay) came out as something completely different, resembling square packages of what I presume was mock beef. The staff seemed to suggest that the other variety of spring rolls on the menu (listed as egg rolls) were the ones we may want. Bizarre as I have ordered spring rolls all over Vietnam and the world and have never seen anything like that before.

It goes on, the tofu lemongrass chilli dish that so impressed other reviewers was served sans sauce and made for one of the driest dishes I've eaten. The salted mock fish rice was bland and uninspired, where the necessity to appropriate meat dishes and serve them vegie style comes from confuses me. What happened to utilising good ingredients instead like so many fantastic vegetarian Indian dishes do so well? The sauteed greens and mushrooms was fine but there hardly room for error there.

Yes the decor is lovely and the staff do try. however after having tried these and a couple other dishes I could not recommend this restaurant, in fact, I'd instruct you to avoid this place.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

• Vietnamese first
“Definitely worth the visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

I'm not vegetarian but reading reviews I decided to try this one out. I dragged 2 reluctant dedicated meat eating relatives as well, and we were all pleasantly surprised.

The owner, Nathan, was there making sure everything was running smoothly and that we were being looked after. He helped us select dishes from the menu, and we ended up with a tasty variety.

The restaurant has interesting art/artifacts around the place, nice tables, and with the great food we had an overall very positive experience.

• Visited May 2013
New Ireland, Papua New Guinea
“Truly a bad experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

We had read about this place and really wanted to try out some veggie food. The service Food is quite slow for Vietnam and lacks finesse. Atmosphere too isn't great and lots of local on phone in the restaurant during your meal. In the end we left as they didn't seem overly bothered I've ate or not! I have to say, that this has been the only place were we have had a bad service experience, so good luck to those who go,as obviously many people have managed to enjoy the food here.

Visited April 2013
Binghamton, New York
“one of the best meals in Vietnam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stopped here after visiting crazy house because of all the good reviews we had read. We were not disappointed. They gave us a huge pot of tea for free, the staff is very nice (offered to take pictures of us), owner speaks perfect English and is willing to answer any questions. The menu is large and very cheap. We ordered the tofu fried in lemongrass, Indian rice in a clay pot, and spring rolls. All were fantastic. Probably the best Indian flavors I've had since leaving the states, and that was the only Indian dish on their menu. Cute decorated place, with three black birds out front that make some interesting calls. Highly recommend this restaurant when visiting Dalat. Crazy house is a must do as well, directly down the street.

• Visited May 2013
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

This restaurant is on the same street as the Crazy House, so we made a point to stop in. The grounds of the restaurant are really nice and very pretty and inviting. A huge pot of tea was given to us as soon as we were seated, and the owner came to take our order. He speaks perfect English, my guess is he spent some significant time in the US or Canada. He was really friendly and helpful; when I ordered pho he told me it wasn't their specialty and suggested another soup on the menu that was just phenomenal. We also ordered chili lemongrass tofu and spring rolls. Everything was really delicious; it was one of our favorite meals in all of Vietnam.

Visited March 2013