“Surprisingly Underwhelming”

Du Parc Hotel Dalat
Ranked #9 of 83 Hotels in Da Lat
Reviewed 16 February 2011

The building looks amazing from the outside and the lobby equally so. The gated lift added that romantic atmosphere but...we were quite underwhelmed by our room.

We had quite a large room - facing the main road - but there was nothing 'wow' about the room or bathroom. It was quite clean, but the fridge was only cool and the curtains needed a good scrub. When I asked if there was an air conditioner in the room, I was told that the hotel does not have any air conditioners at all. Not happy.

Our empty room service trays stayed outside of our room all night and when we asked about a motorcycle tour leaflet - one which we had been handed to us by an employee - we were informed that they could not telephone any business that was not affiliated with the hotel chain. When we needed a bus/car out of Dalat, they only offered their, already fully booked, service and were not obliged to offer any other suggestions. Of the five people behind the desk, only one spoke English, he was very polite but over worked.

The best part of our stay here was breakfast, which was across the road at a separate restaurant.

When we ventured into town - about a 5 minute walk - we had no trouble booking transport as well as a motorcycle tour. Something we didn't mind, but also something we expected such a 'renowned' hotel to assist us with.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Du Parc Hotel Dalat

Reviewed 15 February 2011

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel. It was about 10 years ago and it's as nice now as it was then. Much cheaper rate today. I would recommend it for families and I would have no problem staying here again.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Seemed like a nice hotel but one of our fellow travellers had their I-Pad stolen out of their locked room. Small, small rooms and no places for the bags, breakfast across the street and an elevator that is slow.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Being an Aussie, I like to have my drinks cold.. especially my beers.
sadly this so called top class hotel only has room fridges that keep the drinks cool. When I asked if it was possible to turn it up, I was informed that the fridges only keep cool, not cold. When I explained that I don't like ice in my beers and wanted a cold one, they said sorry but only keep cool.
I was allowed to keep my beers in the bar to get them cold, but that meant walking down to reception every time I wanted a cold beer, as we were on the fourth floor this was a pain in the butt.
Otherwise this hotel was okay, but I would opt for one with a room fridge that you can turn up.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Stayed for 3 nights in superior room in jan 2011. Easy to see that this hotel was top notch half a century ago. Room was small and needed an update.
Staff was helpful and breakfast at Cafe de la Poste quite good. Location is not very central, and (especially at night) city center and market is not within walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2011

hotel was excellent, clean, modern and well situated, breakfast is across the road at the old post office and the fare was the best brekky in Vietnam! rooms arent large yet decor is 1st class, has a bit of style!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We got a decent deal on the internet at about $37/night for the standard double twin. We figured the rooms couldn't possibly get any smaller than where we were staying in Saigon. Well, we were wrong. They most certainly can. I'd have to say, it's probably the smallest room I've stayed in. If staying here, you'd definitely want to upgrade to a superior.

Be aware that this hotel does not have air conditioning so if you're the type of person that can't live without one then this is not the place for you. It is cooler in Da Lat so we figured we wouldn't need one but ended up having to open the window at night because it did get a little stuffy. Our room faced the street so by 5:30 in the morning we awoke to the noisy street traffic. I had to close the window to kill some of the noise.

The rooms were clean but there were a few things that the maid service overlooked when cleaning the rooms: First, the inside of the hot water kettle had tiny little hairs that looked as though someone had shaved their nose hairs over it. Disgusting! Housekeeping took care of it right away and brought me a new kettle. Second, the slippers they provide in the hotel were used! No thanks!

They do have a nice little bar in the lobby that we went to before dinner for happy hour. Excellent service from the staff. Not to be missed though is this restaurant called Xuan An located down the street around the corner from the hotel. They serve this tapioca noodle soup that is only served at night. AMAZING!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends