“A sleepless nightmare”

Ranked #184 of 319 Da Lat B&B and Inns
Alaska
“A sleepless nightmare”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We came across this hotel, as it was the first one we saw when we motorbiked our way into the marketplace. Knowing our companions were tired and they felt that $25/room was a good deal, we agreed to stay here. What a mistake that was.

First of all, there is *no* *way* that those rooms were worth 500,000d. Maybe 250k, and I'm being generous. I've stayed in better guesthouse accommodations in Cambodia and Thailand. This place was a joke if they thought their rooms were worth that much.

The staff was not friendly nor helpful. They seemed like they couldn't care less if we rented a room.

The doors to the rooms are flimsy and easily breakable. Our room had one of those stupid frosted windows that took up half the door -- which is completely ridiculous for a *hotel* room when you want to sleep. The room smelled musty and old, and the furniture was dirty and unkempt. I don't think the sheets were clean. The pillows were concrete. The mosquito net was a pointless addition -- there were plenty of holes in it and my partner woke up with no less than thirteen new bug bites which we hope were only from mosquitoes. The bathroom was dingy and filthy, and looked like it hadn't been sanitized in months. There wasn't even an A/C for that $25 price tag, only a fan that worked on two of its three settings.

The horror started at 6pm. I know that Vietnamese buildings are made with brick/concrete/tile, so sounds will echo. We were on the second floor and could hear kids screaming in the ground floor foyer. Okay, well, it was 6pm. Maybe it'll let up.

No. No, it did not. I was a fool for thinking it'd end.

Because of the flower festival, there were a ton of locals in the area, and it just so happened that every single drunk person congregated on our floor. Every single hour of the night, I was woken up by the most unbelievably loud screaming, door slamming, glass smashing, raucous conversations and fights. The hall light kept switching on and off, which could be easily seen through the window of our door. It was horrible. You could hear these people throughout the entire hotel, I'm sure of it. I went out of my room at one point and screamed at them to shut up, that did nothing. The staff did nothing. I got *maybe* 2 hours total of sleep, the rest of which was punctuated by my stuffing toilet paper in my ears, screaming at the people outside of my door, covering my face with clothes to muffle the sounds and light (didn't help), and cursing the staff for doing nothing.

In the morning, our Vietnamese companion animatedly let the staff know how pissed off we were, and all we received was a non-apology apology. "I'm so sorry. But, they were drunk. They are here for the festival." So? What? I don't care if a person is drunk. That's no excuse for breaking glasses at 3am, slamming doors, and storming through the halls.

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever stay at this hotel, even if it's the last hotel in the city that has a room. I'd rather sleep on the bridge over the river, because I know I'd get a better sleep with a sidewalk as my bed and motorbike engines as my lullaby.

Room Tip: Don't rent one in the first place.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Vietnamese first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Our 4th stay in Dalat and this time we chose very close to the markets.Secure scooter parking and walk to markets and night market.Price for a night was 300.000 dong =$14.00 Au

Free fast wifi ,but breakfast is not included,plenty of nearby places to eat anyhow.
Being so close to the markets you will have some morning traffic noise.

My wife loved the shopping bargains so next time in Dalat we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Front rooms have a great view and are sort of double glazed,there is a balcony that is fitted with...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple