“Did I get the wrong place?”
Review of Dreams Hotel

Dreams Hotel
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in Da Lat
Paris, France
“Did I get the wrong place?”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

OK so there's one thing I don't understand...I read the reviews on here, I look at it's N°1 status and so I book here an .I'm now sitting in my room very confused trying to fathom out if this is the same place because i am SORELY disappointed and thinking, "are these people blind who wrote these excellent reviews?" or " have they just been staying in 5$ dumps until they got here?". It's rubbish, awful!
So I am writing this review on Dreams Hotel, Let's hope it's the right one;
Price: 20$ for a double. Totally overpriced, I would pay 10/15 at most for this kind of place
Cleanliness: the bathroom is rank. A leaky toilet covers the bathroom floor, the shower fittings are covered in limescale and grime, the seal on the shower door is brown and hanging off, the bathroom window is filthy, the bathmat is flithy and some kind os tweety-bird pattern from 1985, the door doesn't open properly and the step own broke off when I was there and the wooden bot broke off and nearly splintered my foot. The bed sheets are clean.
Size: the bed is a double? God job I'm on my own, only 2 anorexic, height-challenged adults would have been comfortable in this bed together (we can't say dwarfs any more right?) The room is small and to plug on more than 2 things I have to pull out the dressin table/wardrobe combo to get access to the plug
View: onto a dump next door
Extras: the bathroom products are circa communist Russia 1950
Breakfast: has no-one who wrote a reveiw ever eaten a breakfast in Vietnam before? "huge breakfast" "well known breakfast"??? It's EXACTLY the same brekki I've had everywhere!! Choice of eggs/bacon/tomatoes etc, bread cereal fruits? What's so special???
Staff: the woman and her husband are friendly enough if you talk to them. I loved their grandchildren that lived there, so cute: 3 and 5 years old who speak perfect English (the grandma insisted that they taught themselves from tourists and computers...really? in a perfect accent with no mistakes?...c'mon! Grandma kind of showed off about this to me many many times)
Problem: I had a bathroom floor covered in water, they never offered for me to change rooms, and she even admitted it had started a couple of days before! should have received discount
Location: not bad a short walk to some nice bars and shops, a little bit further out from the market and touristy restaurants (but that's better)

I woudn't recommend it, I'm sure there are a lot more charming hotels around Dalat.

Room Tip: Go and look before
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kibe1976

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Da Lat, Vietnam
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed nearby and ate here several times, which should say something all by itself. The food is excellent; tasty and well-prepared, with some nice complex flavors. The Vietnamese salad with seafood, at $2.50, is a knockout, and the hotpot is generous and flavorful. The people here are very friendly, and service is good. Nothing not to like.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

What a GREAT place to stay! Mrs Dung has it pitched perfectly - price, service, facilities - all not too much and not too little! Except breakfast, which are simply outstanding! The rooms were clean, the air conditioning, when required as Dalat is much cooler than the lowlands, worked well, and nothing was too much trouble. We had our laundry done within 3 hours, she booked a car transfer for us for when we arrived in Danang at a better price than any we found after arrival and she was very helpful with all our silly questions! We even had double glazing in the windows to keep the street noise down!
Thoroughly recommend this hotel!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The lady owner speaks excellent English. She understands the needs / wishes of Westerners. This is most obvious in the breakfast she provides. Loads of fruit. Fresh bread. Bacon.
Lovely cotton sheets on the beds.
We stayed in some 5 star hotels during our trip to Vietnam but this place was the best. Personal service. She can even offer a tourist trip on the back of a motorbike to a pagoda! If you have the nerve.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the building -it is quieter there..
1 Thank _alison_barclay01
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We requested to stay in a balcony room in Dreams 1 (as we'd seen a photo of this type of room on Trip Advisor, were looking for the best price, and wanted to be where the legendary Mrs Dung is).
Even though we were on the first floor, with the door and windows closed the room spacious room was delightfully quiet.
Mrs Dung and her staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful.
The newest Dreams hotel, Dreams 3 just up the street, has a restaurant that we really appreciated! As vegetarians our options are always limited in Vietnam, but at Dreams 3 the food tasted really fresh and was well presented - we enjoyed the vegetable noodles, the potato wedges, and the delicious homemade carrot cake. As we were staying in one of the Dreams hotels we got 10% discount off our food bill : )
Hilary, UK

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Hils5
Biel, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Everybody says it: awesome breakfasts.

Overall the value of our room was great. Nice staff, awesome breakfast, rooftop Spa, ok-location. We paid 12$/person and thought that the breakfast alone was almost worth that money :-)

• Stayed March 2014
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Excellent value! Lovely staff. Crisp bed linen. Thick bath towels. Our room facing the street on the 2nd floor of Dreams 2 had a jacuzzi. The breakfast is huge and delicious, featuring fresh fruit, yogurt, baguette, bacon, eggs, peanut butter for Canadians and Vegemite for Aussies! Unbeatable!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple