“nice room, reasonable price”
Review of Van Hai Hotel

Van Hai Hotel
Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Halong Bay
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Last week I stayed at Ha Long city. Everything is OK: friendly staff, clean room. My room has two windows. A seaview and the bridge view. You take 15 minutes to walk to the night market. I see distance cease to be big problem

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank hafnguyen87
There are newer reviews for Van Hai Hotel

Reviewed 2 September 2011

When arrival the hotel, their hotel staff welcome very friendly with nice smile, they help me check in hotel and help us to understand more about the tours to visit Halong Bay, I took a short trip to visit Halong market, enjoyed seafood in Halong, its very delecious. I love seafood very much. The staff in Hotel help me to walk around halong city. I stayed in hotel for one night and hotel's view is great at night and early morning. I wish I will come back hear.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Silvia T
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stay in Van Hai Hotel for 1 night, and I found that, this hotel are new facilities, good qualities, This hotel change alot and staff do better than I thinks.
good location, trekking in very nice road, sea view is great, I like Halong Bay, It's very beautifull.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Sofia N
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We arrived with our young family only to be told we were 10km from the ferry terminal. Manager arranged a boat for us to travel to cat Ba Island that never arrived then he pocketed the money. Would never recommend this hotel to anyone, very dodgy in every way.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank JojoSaigon
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Lucky we stayed in this hotel for one night as this hotel is below my expectation of three star standard. Upon arrival we noticed that the hotel is quite far from the night market. It's about almost 1km which is a good 20mins walk (only if you don't mind walking). I took the taxi to the night market instead.
The room is spacious, however, everything in the room seemed rather old and the curtain needs a good wash. The same with the bathroom towels, from the white colour turns into a grey-ish colour. I don't want to use it even there were about 4 of them. All looked white-grey.
The breakfast menu was just average, however, there are many to choose from. I notice there are under just 20 people having breakfast. I wonder how many people stayed in this hotel? I later found out from the taxi driver that this hotel is over 15 years old and belong to the government, it is not a private owned hotel. No wonder the hotel look old, dark and sabby looking.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tv_02
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Stayed at the Van Hai Hotel for 1 night. The first thing I noticed was that the lobby was exceptionally huge, however there was not a single guest in the lobby area. The lobby had a gift shop but there were no computers available for free usage.

At night, I also noticed that some floors of the hotel had their lights completely blacked out which I guess was probably due to the low occupancy.

The decor of the hotel, room aisles and rooms was very basic and tasteless. However, there is free wi-fi in the hotel and my room had a nice view of the bridge connecting Bai Chay and Hon Gai.

Breakfast consisted of Chinese/Western and the cook-on-the-spot eggs and pho. The staff do not understand English when we wanted our eggs to be half-boiled. Dishes were also not topped up at all.

Location wise, the hotel is situated about a 15 to 20 minutes walk to the Halong Night Market, which is a bad thing. However, you get a somewhat nice view of the bridge. Overall, this hotel is great ONLY if you're staying in Halong for a night.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank WengGuan
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayed this hotel for 1 night. Room was ok, but staff was unhelpful and speak english not good. Breakfast was terrible .
I checked out earlier and move another hotel with same price but good services and kind staff.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends