My boyfriend and I stayed here August 7, 2013 after a boat cruise on Ha long bay. My boyfriend selected the place after reading the reviews and assured me we were starting at a great place. Honestly, this place was a huge disappointment and I'm really shocked by other reviews. We didn't like this place at all - and we tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. We were on a trip going through South Asia, so we had stayed at a lot of hotels by that point. This place was not good for the following reasons:
1) the wifi was horrible. The weather was bad so we had to stay in and we thought that we'd at least catch up on American tv through his iPad. No such luck. The wifi was terrible so we couldn't do that or anything using the Internet.
2) way overpriced! We had one meal. Dinner for two and a bottle of house wine, which came to 55USD. We thought that was ridiculous.
3) the tv in the room had one channel. Normally this would not be a problem but when you're forced to stay indoors and there's no wifi and no tv, you get pretty frustrated.
4) the food wasn't that good. For all the food we'd eaten in Asia up until that point, this was the least good. And read point 2, which made me even more frustrated.
Overall I would not stay here again and I am sad to say this is one place I could not in good conscience recommend. However, I hated the bathroom here and thought it looked dirty, while my boyfriend said he had the best shower of his life. I guess that's a positive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Viethouse lodge is located halfway up the hill, next to the road leads to the highest peak of Tuan Chau Island, one of the thausand of small and medium island in Halong Bay. Viethouse lodge consists of a number of houses on stills with the ages of at least 15 years, the houses reflect a typical architecture of Viet ethnic. They have been transformed into a showcase of authentic and traditional living in a moderm environment. the houses located at different heights on the hillside. Nestled in green gardens which draw you to a natural relaxing and romantic atmosphere. ... more less