Open today: 07:00 - 21:00
Book In Advance
Tours from Oriental Sails - Day Cruise tend to sell out - travellers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews our tour guide cooking class one night tai chi squid fishing seafood fishing village spring rolls two days hot water cave visit air con happy hour day cruise room was clean wonderful trip food was amazing
Reviewed 4 April 2016

Out of the hundreds of cruise options for Halong Bay, this is definitely a good one. I spent a lot of time researching, and found that most of the itineraries were almost exactly the same, no matter which company you went through. The major difference is the price because of how the boat is laid out and what the rooms look like. This boat was smaller, which was nice because we got to know the people on the boat and the rooms were great. They were spacious and the bathrooms were modern and clean with a nice shower.
The food is incredible and never ending. It isn't very Vietnamese. I would actually say it's mostly Chinese, but there is a plethora of seafood, which I loved. Drinks on board are $5 a pop, but they had a happy hour where you could get 3 for the price of 2, so that's not bad. We met a great group of people and probably sold the boat out of wine, but we had a great time squid fishing and singing karaoke!
Every person on our boat did the excursion to the fishing village/pearl farm. It was a good experience to see the lifestyle of the people who live in the bay versus simply kayaking. It was really interesting to learn how they fertilize and harvest pearls. The cave the following day was great. They took us to a smaller, less crowded cave, which I really appreciated.
Overall, Halong Bay is something that you must do if you visit Vietnam, and I would highly recommend booking your tour with Oriental Sails! Thanks for the great time.

1  Thank Azure M
Oriental Sails C, Giám đốc quan hệ khách hàng at Oriental Sails - Day Cruise, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2016

Xin chào Azure M,

It is terrific to hear that you did enjoy the trip in Halong Bay. No one can deny that Halong Bay is amazing that can blow up your mind and make you feel completely relaxing. Our job is to bring you delicious meals, joyful activities, knowledgeable and helpful tour guide, etc. to make the trip more brilliant. It is a really memorable experience to enjoy the tour on the marvelous Bai Tu Long Bay and Halong bay.
Your lovely review is the best gift for our team who are always try our best to care about your trip. We wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you again.
Thanks a million for everything you wrote about us.

Yours sincerely,

Oriental Sails Team

Reviewed 1 April 2016 via mobile

I find this company through my hotel's suggestion which suits my friends and my friends' budget. The cruise, small boat and room was clean and tidy. The tour guide was nice and helpful. The meals was excellent with gimmick for the dinner. I am full after having great meals on the cruise. And the setting of the tables made me and my friends getting chances for chatting with other passengers. If I do have another chance to go to ha long bay, I will choose Oriental Sails again! One thing, someone should explain the safety precautions before kayaking begins such as what to do when the kayak got flipped. This information is important to beginners.

我由酒店介紹得知這間公司,尤其因為這條船符合我和朋友在金錢上的預算。整隻小郵輪、接駁小船和房內都很乾淨,導遊亦很友善,又很樂於解決問題,郵輪上4餐很棒,尤其晚餐有特別花款,我覺得很滿足,另外飯桌擺放方式令我有機會與其他乘客交流。如果再去下龍灣,我一定會再次選擇東方帆船。但有一點可以改善,如果玩獨木舟前有人講解玩時的注意事項就會更好,尤其對於新手,因為他們需知道如翻船時的應變方法。

Oriental Sails C, Giám đốc quan hệ khách hàng at Oriental Sails - Day Cruise, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2016

Hi Hayden L,

I am wondering how should I start to write a response to your fantastic review about our Oriental Sails cruise and our team.
We thank you very much for sharing with us your recent experience on the Oriental Sails Cruise. Your feedback and scores must be one of the biggest rewards for our team who work hard daily to make sure you are happy and enjoy our service.
On behalf of the Oriental Sails Company, I would thank you for everything you did for us as making us being a popular brand name in Vietnam. Please stay in touch.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 1 April 2016

Read until the end (or skip to the last part, because that was almost surreal)

We booked a 3 days, 2 nights cruise with oriental sails mainly because of the good reviews it had and we heard that the cheaper cruises could result in very bad surprises. First of all, I have to say that the price they asked was very expensive for our backpacker's budget, but we decided to go along anyway, expecting something way above average. First of all, the boat looks like all the other cruising Halong Bay and goes to the exact same spot, so don't expect to have a nice view of the the desert bay.

Second, in the drive to Halong Bay, the guide asks for any food allergies or vegetarian diet. I am intolerant to eggs (yeah I know it's weird) so I tell the guide who tells me "no problem". But on the boat, each meal had eggs at one service or more and nobody from the crew informed me about it even though I mentioned it each time, but they didn't seem to understand what I was saying. Furthermore, there were two services or more per meal that was deep fried food. I don't know about you, but that's really not the kind of food I expect in Vietnam. I can't say if it really was the food from the boat, but I felt bloated and uncomfortable all the way through the cruise.

Third, and that's when it became so lame that I had to write this horrible review, is when we went to have a shower, the water would run hot and even really hot and after 60 or 90 seconds dropping to cold water. We waited for the heater to kick back in to at least rinse in lukewarm water or something, but it stayed cold. And you have to remember that in March, the weather in Halong Bay is around 18 degrees C in the day, is it humid and there was no sun, and the rooms are not insulated and not heated and as humid as the exterior air. So we both got out of the shower shivering. We told the crew and they came in the room, tested the water, but by now it was hot again. I told them to wait 2 minutes to test it, but they didn't.

The next day, we get back on the boat after a kayak expedition and the weather is still cool and we are really looking forward a hot shower to warm ourselves up a little. We ask the crew if the water is hot. They say "yes, no problem'. So we go in the shower and the same things happens again after a few seconds, the water is cold. We get out, get dress again and go back to ask the crew about the hot water. Three crew member go in the room, with my girlfriend still only covered in a towel and they realize that there is no hot water. They tell us to wait 5-10 minutes and that we should have hot water. We wait 15 minutes. I get in the shower, I open the water rinse myself quickly, and already I feel the water getting colder. I close the faucet, soap up and rinse off with lukewarm water at best. I tell my girlfriend to wait longer as it seems the water is still not hot. But I'm still shivering and still didn't have the hot shower I felt I needed and deserved in this weather and at this price. Then my girlfriend gets in the shower another 15 minutes later and same thing happens to her. Then things get really crazy.

Fourth, the nights are cold and humid and they only give a blanket to warm you up at night, I had to sleep fully clothed.

Fifth, and nonetheless, during the last night on the boat, while we are socializing with other passengers, a crew member asks to go and check again on the water in the room (the water is central, I don't see why they have to check in our room each time.) Once, they check again and are now certain that they finally resolved the problem (without asking if we had taken cold shower hours before) they produced the bill, in the middle of the deck in front of all the other passengers. I ask the crew member who I could talk with about a partial refund since we couldn't have a hot shower like specified in the cruise (in fact the guide even tells you when its time to take a shower, so...) Then a new guide, who got on the boat as we we're kayaking, who never introduced herself to us or asked our names, came to resolve the problem. Once again I ask who can I talk to about a partial refund. She comes back with the captain who aggressively asks for the full payment. I try to reason with them and they tell that there is no possible deal because it is not written anywhere that if you don't get hot water, you're in right to expect a refund. The captain tells us that we could take a 20 minutes shower with hot water, they clearly just don't believe us. They're afraid we won't pay. I offer them about a fourth of the payment right now and I'll pay the rest when I'll talk to someone who is in charge. But they won' t have it. They are being extremely rude and refuse completely to acknowledge that if something doesn't work the way it's supposed too, we should have reparation. And may I remind you that this discussion is still happening in the middle of the other passengers.

The guide tells us to contact our booking agency, but we're so far in the bay that I don't have any network (and anyhow, do I have to own a cellphone with a vietnamese sim to get on this cruise?) The guide doesn't believe that I don't have network. When I get 1 bar on the cell phone, I send a text to booking agency, but the bar disappears again, so no answer. I leave it like that during dinner time. During dinner, I receive a text from the booking agency, telling me that they contacted the boat and that there is no problem with the water and that we have no complain!! From then, I knew I wouldn't win this fight because everybody was clearly not on my side of the story. After dinner, the guide comes back telling me that she contacted our booking agency and that they didn't have to make any deals with troublemakers!! I swear, this is the precise word she used. I couldn't help but laugh. Then again telling me that not everything is perfect. I bit my tongue not to answer that then not everything has to be fully paid. I already knew that there was nothing else to do but to write this review in the hope of turning people away from this awful company.

It was so surreal, because of a little complain over a shower that wasn't hot, we got intimidated by the captain, they implied that we we're liars and we we're called troublemakers. This is not what I expect from a company who sells mainly customer service since the boat, itinerary and food is probably similar to all the other companies who offer cruises for a third of the price they ask. I can understand that they had to hold to their end of the story, but to do this by being so uncourteous, impolite and unprofessional is the worst I've seen in all of my travel in Asia (more than 5 months now) even though it's THE time I paid the most for an activity and accommodations.

In short, it was the worst experience we had with any organization whatsoever in all of our travel. Even the police officers who gave us a ticket in Cambodia were more friendly than this crew so...

9  Thank redrockabilly
Reviewed 31 March 2016 via mobile

My partner and I booked a 3day2night tour and had a great time. The weather wasnt looking great but we ended up being very lucky to see halong in the drizzly mist (beautiful) as well as the sunshine. I do suggest you pack warm clothing though as was quite cold in evenings.
We were concerned about the age groups that may be on board as this wasn't a cheap backpackers package. We were pleasently suprised to find there were lots of varying age groups, all lovely and friendly. The days were well organised but by no means rushed. We spent the first day on a little fishing row boat. The only thing I'd have to say is that you don't really see much of a fishing village hands on but the ride around was nice. The second day was spent cruising around halong bay in a day boat with kayaking amd swimming activities. This was a highlight of the tour. We were the only two on this as the others went back to port after doing a 2day1night tour. Great guides for this and had a great day.
Overall the cruise was well staffed, great activities, AMAZING food and great scenery.
Highly recommend

Hi Janneke G,

We thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy day to point your satisfaction out on your recent trip to Halong Bay. While we, Oriental Sails Company strive hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and it is always a delight to receive such positive comments.

Your comment will be shared with the entire team and we are sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our travel services.

Thanks a million for sharing your great experience, Oriental Sails team hope to see you again.

Reviewed 29 March 2016

I had the pleasure of taking a 2 day/1 night cruise in Ha Long Bay. From the time we were picked up to the time we were dropped off, the customer service was amazing. Our guide Tracy was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Her english was great and she was so funny; she was always making us laugh. After walking in the wet sand and dirt my friends shoes were extremely dirty, when he walked on the boat one of the employees took them right from my friend cleaned them and they looked like new! I was really impressed with the service, hospitality and with our guide Tracy and her excitement.

Hi Traci S,

We are so happy to read your feed-back as well as your lovely review on the Tripadvisor. Our guide Tracy told us many good things about you. For sure you are among our nicest guests so far. Oriental Sails Team hope to see you again one day and bring you our best customer service.

Wishing you all the best!!!