“I will give it a 3.7 Star”
Review of Mithrin Hotel

Mithrin Hotel
Ranked #22 of 69 Hotels in Halong Bay
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Only stayed here for one night and did not use much of the facilitates in the hotel. The hotel was chosen for us by the travel company we booked through.
No complains on the room. Everything was in order. Nothing spectacular but acceptable.
View from the hotel room is towards the bay but the bay is really far away. So the sight was just surrounding buildings and vacant land.

The breakfast had basic variety but good enough for me.

I would say this place would be suitable only for 1 or 2 nights stay. There isn't much around unless you are just passing by.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SW T

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed overnight at The Mithrin Hotel before taking a vspirit cruise in Ha Long Bay. I had read the reviews of the hotel before staying there but I wanted to give them the benefit of a doubt and form my own opinion.
The hotel was chosen for us by the travel company we booked through.
It's tired and run down. The rooms are old and stuffy. There was a mixup with our room. We had booked a queen bed but were given two single beds. We were then given another room. The room was functional and quiet, but still stuffy.
The local area was sleazy. We took a walk down to the local shops. I definitely would not feel safe walking around alone. The hotel room had a view of the bay but not a nice outlook at all other than the bay. Rubbish surrounded the hotel, power lines were down...friends who were on our trip had a view of rubble....very disappointing.
Breakfast was dreadful. Everything I read was true. Staff were rude, meals were cold, poor selection of food for a 4 star hotel.
I will never return to this hotel. I would have expected the hotel management try to lift their act. There are many hotels in Ha Long Bay, suggest you choose another one.
Warning! Would not suggest you use the pool...it's green!

Room Tip: Ask for a bay room as many look out onto sites of rubble and demolished or abandoned building sites.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank suem56
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed at the Mithrin Hotel for 1 night on an organised tour to Hal Long Bay. Hotel was 2 to 3 star quality, room large but basic décor. We were upgraded to a room with a large bathroom and large bath tub when I complained about the incorrect size bedding in the room. Hotel staff were unfriendly and could not speak English. Location has a view of the bay in the distance but hotel surrounded by rubble and unfinished buildings. I didn't feel safe when walking 5 minutes to local shops at night to buy drinking water. It was unsafe walking amongst rubble on the dark streets and walking past seedy looking bars and bar patrons. I did not like the food in the hotel restaurant. Breakfast was ordinary and unappealing. I was glad we stayed only one night. Complimentary drinking water was provided in the smallest bottles of water I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Request a sea view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Agro_Sydney
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The location is far away from the center of the city. The service is relatively bad, breakfast is very standard; nothing special. The facilities are relatively poor as the bed, linen and pillows are smelly.

Room Tip: Please check the room & facilities carefully. If they are not satisfactorily, immediately change...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Octovianus G
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The hotel staffs were not friendly at all from the first point. We were forced to pay the room charge for 02 nights in advance as they were afraid that we would leave the next day just like other guests. Deluxe room is clean and large but when we came back from outside in the evening there was no hot water. It was very disappointed as our 2 year-old child could not take bath before sleep. Breakfast was very poor selection. Overall, it is just like 03 stars hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Do Q
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

All boats were ordered back to port by 6.00 pm due to typhoon being forecast for midnight. Missing out on overnight on the houseboat meant Intrepid Tours organised alternate accommodation. I was looking forward to a bath and there was one, the rooms were clean and spacious. Being quite a distance from the town centre this hotel can only be considered a stopp over as there is little to see within walking distance. Breakfast passable, huge range.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Karen H
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I felt not so good in this hotel. The bathroom had a big tub but it looked not pleasant...also the whole room was nothing special. But it was clean and enough.
I could not enjoy my brerakfast...the service there looked like they had all bad mood. the food was not the best but you can eat it. But it was cold in Ha Long at december...why came also cold air out of the air conditions on the ceiling? I froze very much while eating at morning.
The whole hotel made me bad mood...after one night I was happy to check out.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo