Tung Trang Hotel
Average 3/5
  • Room Service
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshelpful familywet markethalong bayold quarterhot waterquiet side streetsmall alleyno liftsmall roombed was comfortableclean roomstrain ticketssmall hotelcentral locationvisiting hanoinight stayairport pick
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2012

In Hanoi's winter (similar to the winters we have in Sydney), we had planned to stay at Tung Trang as a good budget guesthouse in a great location.

Pros

Cute location down an alley off a fabulous main shopping street (Hang Gai?), with some great artwork - copies and originals - as well as homewares and clothing stores, close to alleyway hole in the wall street vendors - had some very tasty tofu, with noodles and herbs, opposite a communal house temple and a short walk through the alley from more fruit vendors and a very swish newly developed fashion mall.

Very lovely staff, though the owner seems a little gruff.

Amenities are probably adequate in warmer months, but this is not a stylish option and if you bargain, you can get better value for the same rates.

Door leading to small balconies on the front rooms would be nice to have open during warmer months

CONS

In winter, this was not an ideal options: the bedding was not adequate, the heating was not adequate, we spotted mould in our reserved room and I am terrified of getting sick from the stuff.

We ended up at another hotel Prince V in Trung Yen lane, which proved to be a similar distance from the lake and served up some great banh da cua (fettucine like noodle soup with crab) for my non vegetarian family, and whose staff was not as young, but very professional and friendly, and whose rates included a decent in-house breakfast that included a Vietnamese option and loads of fruit - just don't book this ahead of you'll be slugged with higher rates.

NB:For most guesthouses and hotels, it's worth the extra dollars for a direct transfer from the airport rather than having to endure the taxi scammers who take you to their hotels and claim to be affiliated with whichever hotel you say you have a reservation with.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, fork out for the front rooms with balconies, otherwise it's not really worth staying here!
Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank AlyssaAnne
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Hidden in a small lane this hotel is a perfect refuge from the lively hart of Hanois Old Town. We liked the friendly, open harted, welcoming and familiar atmosphere very much. Sitting round the large table in the back part of the "lobby" for breakfast, being served by the grandmother of the owners family feels almost like a homestay. The staff is very helpfull, dedicated and friendly. They helped us for example to get a train ticket to Ninh Binh during Tet Festival. Everybody knows, that this almost impossible during Tet. In total we stayed here for 4 nights discontinued by trips to Ninh Binh, Halong and Bai Tu Long Bay and Mai Chau. Coming back everytime felt like coming home. We recommend this charming familiar hotel by hart.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pit R
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We had a bit of a mixed experience with Tung Trang, but still came away liking it. I booked ahead of time, and communicated with the staff quite a bit before our arrival in Hanoi. In those communications, I made it clear that I wanted to stay at Tung Trang 1, and the person I was communicating with confirmed that that was where I would have a reserved room. On the night we arrived in Hanoi, we were taken to Tung Trang 2, which is not nearly as attractive or quiet. We were charged a reduced rate for the night, without even having to bargain, which I felt was appropriate and reflected well on the management's understanding of our disappointment. We were transferred to a room at Tung Trang 1 the next day, and it was far better - quiet, charming and friendly. Both locations were good, and convenient for walking around Hanoi. We traveled onward through Vietnam and Laos, but came back to Hanoi for our return flight, and stayed at Tung Trang 1 again. We were given a different room than the one we requested, but all in all, it was fine. Everything was clean, the staff looked after our baggage for us, and were helpful in arranging an airport transfer. I would recommend the place, but only for travelers who are flexible and don't mind getting bumped around a bit. Ultimately, I'd stay there again (in Tung Trang 1).

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Tung Trang 1 and hope for the best. The balcony rooms are particularly attractive.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wanderingmarmot
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This was one of the only hotels during my 3 week-holiday in Vietnam where I felt that the staff cared about their guests. I suppose that's because it is a family-owned hotel and they have their pride.
A nice plus is that you have breakfast at the same table with whoever is hungry at that moment, with other guests, grandma or one of the children.
I went there twice because I really liked it.
The second time there was a booking problem, so I was offered a bigger room (with balcony) without charging me extra.
Both rooms were very clean and didn't look like a prison cell like most budget rooms do.
They also arranged an overnight train ticket from Hanoi to Hue for a fair price.
I would go there again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank x_0_viajero_0_x
Reviewed 31 May 2011

This was my third stay here; I also lived here for 5 weeks a few years ago, and I love the pretty, comfortable and clean rooms in this quiet Old Quarter alley. This time around, the room we bpoked wasn't ready because the previous people hadn't left - so, like several other reviewers, we had to wait three days to move and then the cleaning lady seemed annoyed when we weren't ready at 12 on the dot to move. Other than that, though, the staff were nice - and helpful, after an initial total lack of reaction - when the police took away our motorbike, which we'd left in the alley alley overnight. (as a side note, if you stay here with a motorbike, give them the keys so they can put it someplace safe for night) The prices aren't the cheapest in town, but a little asking can get you a small discount for a longer stay. The breakfasts are a great value too.

• Stayed: May 2011