“Friendly, quiet, family-run hotel - good location, good value”
Review of Tung Trang Hotel

Tung Trang Hotel
Ranked #195 of 585 Hotels in Hanoi
York, United Kingdom
“Friendly, quiet, family-run hotel - good location, good value”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We stayed here for 3nights whilst moving house in Hanoi. It is located down a small, pleasant alley - it was very quiet (we didn't hear any sounds at night) and the location is great for walking in all directions. The alley is pleasant and there is an interesting old (quiet) temple opposite. The staff are great - helpful, kind and pleasant (not too intrusive). Towels in the room were changed daily and the room was immaculately clean. The mattress seemed alarmingly soft at first but I had cosy sleeps and didn't get any backache. There was also a fridge in the room and AC. We had one of the smaller rooms; but I really would recommend upgrading to one of the rooms at the front - they looked really nice (more space, desk, balcony, airy). They are better value. Our room (302) was small, but was good enough for us for 3days in-between homes in Hanoi - it motivated us to get out and be in the Old City.
The staff at Tung Trang were really helpful. As a small example they brought my scooter in at night along with their own ones and covered it when it rained - this nice touch made me feel part of their family for a few days.
Incidentally, I can recommend the motorbike hire place opposite (Rentabike). Helpful, English-speaking staff and good bikes.

Room Tip: Front rooms (superior rooms) are best value.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed there one week and felt really comfortable.

Room: spacious and clean, well equipped (ac, fan, fridge, kettle, wifi, balcony if staying in a superior room). All I needed for one week.

Location: at the south end of the old quarter, very quite and nice back alley opposite a small temple. The whole old quarter is in walking distance. Other points of interest (Hoan Kiem lake, temple of literature, Ho Chi Minh complex, military museum, french quarter) are easy to reach, even by walking. For me a perfect location, quite but in the center of action. Restaurants, shops etc. are all nearby.

Service: family like, well attentive and always friendly. No hassle like tour selling or anything else. I felt very welcomed.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pzinken
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed 2 March 2013

You can't beat the family room on the top floor. Yes it's a walk up but it is a double room. The people who work here and the family were great. And it is in a wonderful alleyway that was a perfect first introduction to SEAsia for the kids and family as whole. We really thought this was a special locale.

Room Tip: Not a noisy spot in the place
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sam c
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

You couldn't ask for better access to the best bits of Hanoi than this place offers. It is really quiet (get a room on the top floor) and the staff are brilliant, taking on all sorts of things that go beyond the level of service you expect at this price. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor for serious peace and quiet, the stairs aren't that bad.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

OK, so the room wasn't exactly spacious but for the price and the fact you get a kettle, fridge, air con tea, coffee and even a hair dryer (should you need it!), certainly makes up for it. It's set back in an alley which keeps it very quiet but also very close to the main hussle and bussle of the Old Quarter.

Not once did the family run business even attempt to try and sell us a tour, taxi service or anything else that we'd only ever want off our own backs which was a welcome relief.

Unfortunately, I was ill for a few days and spent most of my time in the room but each day i did make it down (to find a pharmacy or something light to eat), they always enquired after my health and wished me well. They even offered to take my partner to the local market to buy fresh fruit at local prices so they could make me up a healthy drink to help me get better. In my opinion, that's going above and beyond what I would ever expect from a guesthouse!

I would thoroughly recommend this place to stay for a few nights and if I ever end up back in Hanoi, this is where I will be going. Hopefully they'll see this so they know how highly I thought of this lovely family :-)

• Stayed January 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We booked a four-day stay at Tung Trang for our return from Halong Bay. The experience we had at the previous hotel we stayed at, the Hanoi 'Friendly' Hotel, made us choose somewhere else to spend our time after our tour. And we couldn't have chosen better. The hotel is basic and the rooms are fairly small, but it's one of the cheapest places to stay in the Old Quarter, and it's a family-owned business run with warmth and sincerity. My partner was unfortunately ill for most of our stay, but the family took real concern in his welfare – offering their help in taking me to a pharmacy or a fruit seller to help get the products cheaper. They are so friendly and really care about you and your time in their extended home, and that's a breath of fresh air compared to many of the places we've stayed at in south-east Asia over the last three months.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

What a nice place to stay! The hotel locate in an alley which hideaway from central area main street. Quiet, clean and warm welcome is what you can find here. The hotel run by lovely family, make us feel like being home..

• Stayed September 2012