“Turned out to be Great!”

Hanoi Phoenix Hotel
Ranked #317 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 4 August 2011

My husband and I were sent here when the GH we'd originally wanted was full (despite forward warning that we were coming). I think we got a better deal out of it though. The staff were nice, but not overly friendly. They were not pushy about tours and left us alone. The room was nice and clean the the bathroom didn't get all wet when you showered as there was an actual separate shower room. We had some problems with the A/C, but they were on it and had it fixed as soon as they could. Breakfast was decent - it was quite nice to have tea and coffee available right there. It would be even nicer if they'd have that available for more than just the morning. We started our Vietnam trip in Hanoi and I'm writing after we've finished the whole trip. So, in hindsight, this place was very good. We got a good rate of $14/night, but the room was an interior one - no windows that opened to the outside.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 100onigiris

Reviewed 14 July 2011

In short, the Phoenix Hotel is a perfect place to launch your holiday in Vietnam. Kalvin and his team were absolutely exceptional in recommending excursions and setting up everything we needed for our first couple of weeks in Vietnam. Prices are inexpensive and the service in exceptional.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank binskeep
Reviewed 6 July 2011

If you are planning to spend some time in Hanoi I strongly recommend to stay in this hotel. Really good service (the staff is really helpful), good breakfast, free coffee all day, clean rooms with AC but thigh one for a couple, but still okay and free wifi. The price is the same as others if you really want to stay in a comfort. The location is the best one, you can walk to the market (10 min), Ho Chi Minh Museum and Mausoleum (30 min) and the lake.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Simonest
Reviewed 5 July 2011

What can I say except that this is the worst hotel I have EVER stayed at. I still fume when I think how bad they treated us.

1. No working fan in bathroom so entire room always had a horrible damp feeling to it, when we asked for it to be fixed it was like we had told them we had skinned a puppy
2. They let people smoke in the lobby which circles up the open stairwell into all rooms no matter how high up you are, we politely asked if something could be done about this, once more, the skinned puppy scenario
3. Terrible food, no hot water, intermittently working internet, extremely unfriendly manager, staff that you know were talking about you behind your back in Vietnamese etc etc etc

But that is nothing to what happened on the last day. As we were checking out, I asked to speak to someone to politely reiterate the above issues and the disappointment that I felt with how they had been dealt with. It ended up with the manager of the hotel screaming at me and calling me a crazy person and a nutcase in front of an entire roomful of people. I was so shocked I couldn't actually believe what was happening. I have never known anyone in any country to act so disgustingly towards another person they didn't know, let alone a person who was their customer. It makes me ill to think about it.

For your own good, find another hotel, there are so many in the area!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cappycappy
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Our flight into Hanoi was delayed for 2 and half hours but the prearranged collection by the hotel at the airport was still there which was a great relief.The hotel is in a great location in the Old Quarter and a nice walk to the Lake.Our room had Wi-Fi,shower was excellent,bed nice and comfortable,no noise at night.We arranged a trip to Halong Bay through the hotel,bur due to the boat accident the day before we went we were not allowed to stay on the boat overnight.Although no fault of the hotel they were happy to offer us a part refund on the experience we had missed which I thought was a very generous gesture by Kelvin.Breakfast was adequate with a choice of egg and a very large bread roll.We arranged a taxi to the airport through the hotel and pickup was at 4.30AM,the taxi arrived on time which again was a great relief. Overall,yes there are plenty of nicer hotels around but for what you are paying in a city centre hotel,for value you will struggle to find better.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank icisEngland
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We arrived late afternoon to a busy 'hole in the wall'. The staff were friendly and offered a coffee while we checked in. The place looked clean enough for the cost. Once we had lugged our packs up several flights of stairs ( rounding the matresses leaning up against the walls) we came back to the reception to get a map to explore Hanoi. To my horror the staff in the lobby had a floor tile up and crawling out of it were big bugs - I swear they were cockroaches but my husband claims to differ. They receptionist appologised madly and quickly moved us on our way. Upon our return I was uneasy about staying but the place looked SO clean and had I not been there when the tile had been raised I'd never had known. The room was clean and the shower was hot, although it leaked onto the bathroom floor, creating a bit of a pool, it remained just there while it drained into the plug. We did't eat there ( I just couldn't), but we did book a night away on a junk to see Halong Bay, which was BEAUTIFUL and such good value (A-Class). The hotel arranged for a taxi to drive us to the airport which was great, but the driver arrived around 20 mins late - not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank luckylucy31
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Good points. Location, middle of old quarter. Computer in room with quick connection.Very budget hotel though, rooms could do with updating.Booked an airport pick up but possibly due to delayed flight they failed to turn up.Ok for a night or two max probably wouldn't stay again. Old quarter lovely highly reccommend Green Mango for food and atmosphere.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple