“Clean hotel & central location, but not the best in the area”
Review of Especen

Especen
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Especen
Ranked #438 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Vietnam
“Clean hotel & central location, but not the best in the area”
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights with my partner, we treated ourselves to a family room which was lovely and big with a great balcony overlooking the little narrow streets. Clean bedding and well furnished, wifi in the room, fridge, air con and TV. It cost us $23, and I have no complaints about the place at all, however, if you step around the corner there are some other hotels just as nice, better and cheaper.
Streets at night can be noisy but being in a city is unlikely you will avoid this!
If you have been backpacking for a while, its a nice treat to stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Solo
Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2008

I quite often travel to Vietnam and occasionally have had a few minor problems with hotels but nothing that would require a bad review.

On my arrival at the Especen Hotel I found the staff to be helpful and friendly and the rooms spotless. If you're after a clean cheap and well located hotel then this is perfect. But if you intend on staying any longer than 3 days, be aware that the staff become rude, demanding and completely dishonest.

When I go to Vietnam I usually rent a motorbike to get myself around town (which I only pay $50 for, not the ridiculous $120 that they ask). I've done this many times before and have never had any problems with any other hotels, in and around the Old Quarter. But I did this for my stay at the Especen only to come down stairs and find my bike missing. I sat on the front step for at least 10 minutes and next thing you know my motorbike came around the corner with the receptionist riding it. Now if he had asked then maybe it would've been ok, but I knew nothing of the incident and it makes me wonder how many times it had happened before without my knowledge, as this was on my last few days in Hanoi. After questioning him as to why he took the bike, he simply smiled, walked past me and ignored me. After a few more words I called it a night and went to bed.

The next morning, I took off on my motorbike, only to break down around the corner. My mechanic then pulled the fuel tank out and found half a litre of water which could only have been put in the night before as I had been riding it for the week prior with no problems and no refueling.

From this instant on I was looked at and treated in a way I have never been treated in Vietnam or any other country in the world (1 star or 5 star).

Like I said, if you would like a clean hotel and only plan on staying one night then this is perfect. If you plan on staying any longer or would like a hassle free holiday, then try one of the many other options in the area as I will do when I return to Hanoi in 2 weeks time (20 Oct 2008).

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Dishonest staff and being treated like I was in the wrong
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank melbimby

Travellers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

singapore
Reviewed 3 June 2008

Beware of the Especen Hotel situated at the following address and website (there is another hotel with the same name but might have offered better service):

Add: 1 Hang Hom Str, Hoan Kiem Dist, Hanoi, Vietnam
Website: http://www.especenhotel.com

We are a group of 8 singaporeans that booked 2 family rooms (4 persons per room at USD$30/room per night) on 29th May 2008. The room furnishings and decor of the hotel is nothing close to whatever that has been displayed on the website. Stray wires were dangling from the ceilings. Air conditioning was weak despite having tuned the air conditioner to it's maximum capacity at 17 degrees Centigrade. For one, it definitely was nothing close to that and it was humid and stuffy.

Despite having 4 persons per room, there was only breakfast catered for 2 persons per room. Additional breakfast was to be charged at 20, 000 VND (approx USD$1.25 per person). The mediocre breakfast only consisted of 2 french loaves, 2 eggs and 2 cups of tea. No jam, milk, sugar or butter was served and only a small portion of salt came along with the bread.

In addition, the hotel overcharged us for the taxi pickup service from the Hanoi International Airport. We were quoted the price of USD$30 for a supposedly 16 seater van (we suspected that it was a 8 seater van). Our tour operater, Ocean Tours for Halong Bay quoted us a price of USD$16 for a 16- seater taxi from their office (A few hundred metres from Especen hotel) for transport from their office to Hanoi International Airport. We tried to verify the cost of the pickup service with Esepecen Hotel's receptionist. However, the receptionist was adamnant about charging us the USD$30 cost per room despite us having quoted the taxi service from Ocean Tours to the airport. He alleged that the higher costs was due to "government taxation" and openly challenged us to pay double the cost of the taxi pickup service if his claim was right. Moreover, he wanted to charge us for using the telephone to call the taxi company which was totally ridiculous since local calls are usually offered free by hotels. In the end, we dished out our own cellphones to make the call.

To sum it up, the stay at the hotel was a totally disastrous experience. Avoid staying at this Especen Hotel at all costs.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Marc H