“very basic and not so clean”

Sunflower Hanoi Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hanoi
Sunflower Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #376 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Bristol, United Kingdom
“very basic and not so clean”
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed at the sunflower hotel as part of a intrepid tour. The hotel itself is in a good position but thats about where the positives end. The front desk staff were very unhelpful and uninterested in our presence. We stayed on the 3rd floor in a room that was dark and very stale. The television did not work and the air-conditioning worked at times. The bed was very hard and on opening a menu in the room it was found to have dirt and what looked like food wiped inside it. The bathroom was again very basic but fine for our needs. In the bathroom there was an open vent, every now and then there would be some very interesting smells come through, none of which were very nice.
It is hard for me to comment on value for money as it was incorporated into the tour cost. After spending some time in Hanoi it was evident that there are much better accommodation options available.

• Stayed March 2010

Families
Business
Townsville
Reviewed 4 March 2010

I stated here as part of my Intrepid tour and because of this hotel refuse to travel with Intrepid again! This place is a dump! Nothing worked - a/c, tv, lights, oh, except when I started charging my camera, then the lights would work! I was in one of the back rooms and the smoke from the kitchen (cigarette smoke that it) would waft up into my room! I didn't even get a pillow case...
I didn't even think the location was that great...there are plenty of other choices in much better locations.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

Northamptonshire
Reviewed 30 July 2009

I have heard that this is a scam by the taxi drivers and the hotel combined where you can tell them any hotel in hanoi and they will take you to this one, this happened to us however we hadn't got a hotel in mind, this was cheap and basic but thats what we wanted. We did have a leaky sink but it wasn't major and we had to share 4 to a room, but in a large group we expected this.
This is not a hotel for the elderly or those with walking difficulties as the stairs are extremely steep.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank Vicki P
England
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Sunflower Hotel, was dour. Very cold, gloomy, doors not shutting properly so very draughty, no hot water or heat. Breakfast 3 slices white bread, and jam 3 dollars. Person asleep on sofa in restaurant which was a back room with no window and was very smelly........would never stay there again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank julie038
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 24 January 2009

When we arrived at Hanoi airport, we had decided to go for a hotel in the Old quarter, which we told the driver. When we arrived at this hotel, a guy at the hotel told us that it was fully booked, but he advised the driver to go to another hotel nearby. Then we arrived at the Sunflower hotel and we were welcomed by three brothers, which gave all four of us one room with four beds for 20 $ per night. We accepted the offer, but when they served us breakfast the next day, we became suspicious when they washed our knives in dirty water. They also asked us if they could book a tour to the Ha Long Bay for us, because we would get "a special price". The scam was quite obvious, so we booked a plane ticket to Ho Chi Minh City ourselves, and when we told this to our hosts in the evening, they became quite threatening and angry. Also, because of the monsoon rain, the roof was leaking, but when we asked them, they just moved our sheet away, but did nothing with the roof. When we were heading for Hanoi airport the next day, they refused us to leave our baggage at the hotel, so we had to bring it with us in the heat for hours. All in all, do not stay at this crappy hotel hosted by these manipulated people, unless you're on a really tight budget, and are willing to be manipulated and scammed.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank bbbbbbba
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 9 January 2008

I made a reservation for the Gia Bao Hotel in the Old Quarter, landed at the Hanoi airport on New Years Eve, and then hopped into a metered taxi from the airport with written name and address of my hotel. The taxi took me to what he said was the Gia Bao hotel, and a guy hopped in the cab and told me the Gia Bao hotel was fully booked, but not to worry, they have rooms at a place just as nice. So he took me to the Sunflower Hotel. The place was a dump -- empty beer cans were in the room, and the wall was decorated with a squashed bug + shoe print (see my pics). I got suspicious and called Gia Bao, and it turns out that they were waiting for my arrival. The Sunflower Hotel still wanted to charge me for the 30 minutes I spent in their room. I had a good laugh over that. Beware of these scams, even when using a professional metered taxi service, and do not give Sunflower any business!

4 Thank 2815riggs