“Nice staff; facilities ??”

Hanoi Old Quarter Hotel
Ranked #153 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Nice staff; facilities ??”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I selected this hotel over others as it offered safe box in the room and a mini-frig. Upon checking in, I realized the safe was not functional and I notified the night manager, who offered the use of the safe in the lobby. I declined as I like to have my items available when I want yet at the same time secure. I requested to be moved the next day to a room with a working lock box and was told it would be no problem. I packed all items for the move and went out about town. When I returned, I was told I could not move because all rooms were full. And to cap it off, internet is slow as death and I must sit on specific corner of my bed for it to even work in my room. Nonetheless, the staff are very sweet and polite.

Room Tip: If the room is not what you want or expected, do not expect it to be corrected.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank buck2232

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

The staff was excellent, rooms clean, breakfast cooked on order, overall great value for money.

The only negative is that its practically next to the highway - wasnt noisy but the windows were permanently closed with blinds, there was no daylight at all coming in.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Staff where very very friendly here, nothing was too much for them they did everything from walk us to the nearest ATM and point out all the recommended places to eat.

Breakfast in the morning was good and cooked for us when ordered so it was all fresh.

Only had 1 night here though unfortunately.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and felt very welcoming. Staff was very friendly and helpful. For e.g. when we looked for a closeby dining place, they even took us to that place. The free breakfast was so good and coffee too. I would stay in same hotel if I visit Hanoi again.
This is in walking distance to all the shops, coffee shops and food shops. Even the sword lake, water puppet theater is closeby.

Old Quarter Hotel is an old place (with only 3 rooms per room in 7 floors). The rooms are quite clean except that the fittings are very old. Had free wifi. However, it was hard to control the air conditioner. We tried to increase the temperature, it didn't change.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Excellent service with the biggest smile you ever get! We (big group of 9) stayed here for 4 nites. We were most happy about the warm and friendly hospitality by Viet and staff! Rooms are big and pleasantly clean. Great value for money! Best of all, this hotel is very close to all the shops, eating places, coffee shops, you named it...and what more it is just a 2-3 mins walk to the famous Cafe Giang and Xoi Yen which we discovered during our walkabout exploration around the streets of Old Quarters. Must say that the location of this lovely hotel is pretty cool too! We went on a day tour arranged arranged by the hotel, even at the very last minute when we decided to go for it, again Viet managed to make all arrangement smooth for all of us! Thumbs up! All in all, we felt very much at home during our stay here! : ) and our best take back memory were certainly with the ever-friendly and always ready with the BIGGEST smile - Viet and team! They were truly one remarkable and wonderful team! Thanks Viet and team for making our stay so blessed and enjoyable! Will certainly recommend this hotel to others! : ) and we will be back too! : )

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SharonSCY
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I liked almost everything about the Hotel. It was everything I had envisaged Hanoi and Vietnam to be and my first impression started off with my stay at the Hotel. The staff were extremely helpful. very cheerful and always on call. They sent me a huge Toyota Qualis to pick me up from the airport on my arrival at Hanoi. I had already corresponded with the soft spoken girl at the reception who speaks very good English and requested her for a room with windows as I heard that there are rooms in certain hotels in Hanoi which do not have windows. I had a room changed by the girl and after a day even gave me a room on the top floor which gave me a complete good view of the quaint bustling town. The room was large and had very clean and comfortable beds . Cleanliness will get a full 10 in my room at least. It had wooden floors and was so colonial and at the same time so Oriental . The room was a perfect fusion where modern times met ancient oriental setting. Breakfast was usually bread and eggs for me. Coffee was served free any time of the day.. if you needed a sim card you could get one, including getting a top up .. I had to attend meetings and had a room booked at the Grand Plaza on the 4th and 5th though I went earlier to do a recce' of Vietnam on my own,.. strangely I did not shift to the opulence of the 5 star hotel as I did not see any reason why I had to ,, all that i needed was here.. close to all the shops,. the hustle and bustle of the city., the lake , the temple, the eating places, street food, souvenirs, post cards., pubs, tourists and all that Hanoi is liked for.. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my trip due to the location of the hotel. Everything was a step outside. Literally... and No I'm not exaggerating. Go see for yourself !!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank AnitaTravelJunkie
Ballina, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed here with my teenage son in September 2013. He was mostly happy about the free Wi-Fi ;)

Lovely little hotel, friendliest staff ever!! Great value for money, big rooms, close to tourist attractions. Will definitely go back :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family