“you get what you paid for”

Hanoi Old Quarter Hotel
Ranked #153 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Yorkton, Canada
“you get what you paid for”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband chose this hotel because of the reviews we read here. The location is right infront of the busy street. but very accessible to bars,and markets along old quarter area. Yes, the staff is super friendly and helpful and the room is clean. we have a "humongous" room with a humongous TV that doesn't work on the day we checked in (Feb.5-8,2014). I immediately notified the staff and they promised to have it fixed. but never did! breakfast is good as ordered, but not many choices. overall this hotel is just average. like i said, you get what you paid for,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maria Maita K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 19 February 2014

A great hotel. The staff of this hotel is their greatest asset. They were extremely helpful, pleasant and nice. They were the most helpful of any hotel, I stayed in during my four week visit to Vietnam. The room was massive and very comfortable. The only problem I had was with the shower. It didn't hang so had to hold it. I would definitely still stayed there again! Exceptional value for money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank NCW88
Sydney
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

This was the first hotel we staying at upon arriving in Vietnam. When we arrived someone carried our bags up to our room (which I haven't had at most $40+ per night hotels). When we walked into our room I was overwhelmed at how large and beautifully decorated it was. Something I have never experienced coming from Australia is a heated toilet seat.. Sounds weird but very cool! This is the only hotel I have ever stayed in that the hotel itself is better in person than the published photos. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much to ask. The included breakfast is simple but very tasty. If I ever visit Hanoi again I wouldn't doubt staying here again and have already recommended it to fellow travellers I have met along the way.

• Stayed January 2014
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I selected this hotel over others as it offered safe box in the room and a mini-frig. Upon checking in, I realized the safe was not functional and I notified the night manager, who offered the use of the safe in the lobby. I declined as I like to have my items available when I want yet at the same time secure. I requested to be moved the next day to a room with a working lock box and was told it would be no problem. I packed all items for the move and went out about town. When I returned, I was told I could not move because all rooms were full. And to cap it off, internet is slow as death and I must sit on specific corner of my bed for it to even work in my room. Nonetheless, the staff are very sweet and polite.

Room Tip: If the room is not what you want or expected, do not expect it to be corrected.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank buck2232
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

The staff was excellent, rooms clean, breakfast cooked on order, overall great value for money.

The only negative is that its practically next to the highway - wasnt noisy but the windows were permanently closed with blinds, there was no daylight at all coming in.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Staff where very very friendly here, nothing was too much for them they did everything from walk us to the nearest ATM and point out all the recommended places to eat.

Breakfast in the morning was good and cooked for us when ordered so it was all fresh.

Only had 1 night here though unfortunately.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and felt very welcoming. Staff was very friendly and helpful. For e.g. when we looked for a closeby dining place, they even took us to that place. The free breakfast was so good and coffee too. I would stay in same hotel if I visit Hanoi again.
This is in walking distance to all the shops, coffee shops and food shops. Even the sword lake, water puppet theater is closeby.

Old Quarter Hotel is an old place (with only 3 rooms per room in 7 floors). The rooms are quite clean except that the fittings are very old. Had free wifi. However, it was hard to control the air conditioner. We tried to increase the temperature, it didn't change.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends