“Has changed a lot since I last stayed”

Hanoi Old Quarter Hotel
Ranked #153 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
“Has changed a lot since I last stayed”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here in 2010 and had a great experience. Sadly, this was not the case on my last visit trip.

Between the 3 of us, we rented 2 rooms. I woke to hear rodents in my room during the night, and my sister found it difficult to sleep due to an overpowering mould smell. The lobby was very untidy and the breakfast was inedible.

We have both stayed in cheap accommodation all over S.E.A. so had realistic expectations, but frankly, this place is a dump.

We were booked to stay here for 4 nights, but ended up leaving after only one.

I felt embarrassed to have recommended this place to my family.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mooner80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

It doesn't look like much from the outside, but when you get inside it's great! The rooms are nice, the breakfast buffet was enjoyable and the staff are more than willing to help with anything. Close to numerous restaurants and markets-which are also worth looking at. Overall, great hotel- I would recommend it to anyone thinking of visiting Hanoi Old quarter, it's affordable with families as well

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank xsweetascinnamonx
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Our stay at the Old Quarter hotel was brilliant from the prompt replies to emails before we arrived to the brilliant friendly service we got from Biet and the lads. Stayed in family room.....it was huge and even though next to busy road was very well soundproofed. Arranged tours to Hoa Loa Tam Coc and Halong through hotel and got great value for money. Staff couldnt have been more helpful from recommending places to eat, getting washing done to letting us stay in room until 10pm to catch the night train. Also location is spot on, just around the corner from the crazyness which is the old quarter and easy walk to the lake.......and street with dozens of cafes ( you've got to try an egg coffee). Would definitely recommend for families....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Brydon H
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 March 2014

The people that run the hotel are always smiling and ready to help with anything! It's a great location with large rooms and bathrooms. Internet was dependable, room always clean. We definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank casa1010
Yorkton, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband chose this hotel because of the reviews we read here. The location is right infront of the busy street. but very accessible to bars,and markets along old quarter area. Yes, the staff is super friendly and helpful and the room is clean. we have a "humongous" room with a humongous TV that doesn't work on the day we checked in (Feb.5-8,2014). I immediately notified the staff and they promised to have it fixed. but never did! breakfast is good as ordered, but not many choices. overall this hotel is just average. like i said, you get what you paid for,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maria Maita K
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 19 February 2014

A great hotel. The staff of this hotel is their greatest asset. They were extremely helpful, pleasant and nice. They were the most helpful of any hotel, I stayed in during my four week visit to Vietnam. The room was massive and very comfortable. The only problem I had was with the shower. It didn't hang so had to hold it. I would definitely still stayed there again! Exceptional value for money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank NCW88
Sydney
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

This was the first hotel we staying at upon arriving in Vietnam. When we arrived someone carried our bags up to our room (which I haven't had at most $40+ per night hotels). When we walked into our room I was overwhelmed at how large and beautifully decorated it was. Something I have never experienced coming from Australia is a heated toilet seat.. Sounds weird but very cool! This is the only hotel I have ever stayed in that the hotel itself is better in person than the published photos. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much to ask. The included breakfast is simple but very tasty. If I ever visit Hanoi again I wouldn't doubt staying here again and have already recommended it to fellow travellers I have met along the way.

• Stayed January 2014