“Neat Little Hotel”
Review of Cinnamon Hotel

Cinnamon Hotel
Ranked #133 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The Cinnamon is in a great location in the old quarter next to the Cathedral. The rooms are good but the showers are a bit odd - being a flex cable showerhead next to the toilet. No curtain so the floor and toilet do get soaked when you shower. On the Cathedral side the bells going off for 2 minutes at 5:30 AM can be annoying. The staff is great - very friendly and will make any arrangements for you. The included breakfast is excellent. The included foot massage - which is really a lower leg and foot massage that lasts for about an hour - was a wonderful treat at the end of a day of walking the city. Would strongly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms not on the Catheral side avoid the 5:30AM church bells.
Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 October 2011

We stayed here after reading the review in the Lonely Planet & it was the only place we stayed that actually reflected the LP view. Vietnam is changing so rapidly that we found most LP recommendations had either changed or closed. However the staff at the Cinnamon hotel justified its reputation for friendly and professional service and I would recommend it to any family or friends visiting Hanoi.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I stayed here after reading the review in Lonely Planet. While the hotel is quirkier than other Hanoi hotels, and the location is amazing, I do think that this hotel has seen better days since the LP review and I don't think the trip advisor reviews reflect the condition of the hotel properly either. I'll just try to be objective about the pros and cons and leave the decision up to you!

Pros:
-Excellent, central location with a view of St. Joseph's Cathedral. We could see the church from our hotel room, which was amazing. And we walked everywhere from the hotel. We didn't take a taxi once!
-Very warm and friendly staff that is willing to help with any tours you want to take. They're great, so this review doesn't reflect the quality of staff at all.
-Quirky and charming - compared to the other hotel we stayed in Hanoi and the other hotels I saw from the street, this one definitely has character and the stairway is charming.
-Breakfast was delicious
-Solid internet (faster than the second place we stayed at)

Cons:
-Cleanliness and quality of bathroom: I was extremely disappointed in the cleanliness of the bathroom given the rate we paid ($80+). It almost looked like the counters hadn't been cleaned, which I've honestly never seen before at a mid-range hotel. And as someone else pointed out in another review, you do shower over the toilet. I've done that before and don't mind the shower/toilet combo, but I did mind that the water pressure is bad (basically barely coming out due to the build up) and the faucets in the bathroom all had a lot of build up and were kind of cruddy looking. Showering wasn't a relaxing experience, for sure, especially if you're sharing the room (they have to go into a wet bathroom after you).
-Size: Room was an okay size but bathroom felt tight
-Street noise: Even with the wooden shutters closed and windows closed, we heard honking from the motorbikes all night long and both had a hard time sleeping. Our room was facing the church and we were on the third floor I think (our room started with a C). If you're sensitive to noise, ask for a room that doesn't face the street.
-Bed: Like sleeping on a plank. I'm honestly not sensitive to beds and I've stayed at my fair share of guesthouses, but for $80+ the beds were not okay even by my low standards!

For all of these reasons, we stayed in another hotel in the same exact square. Although it wasn't quirky (it didn't have the organic twist), the room/bathroom were huge and immaculate, the breakfast was equally delicious, the staff was equally lovely and the bed was comfy! And the noise was also not an issue, so I slept like a baby. The reason I bring up the other place is that it was $30 cheaper a night - that's why I feel strongly that you can get better value than the Cinnamon.

Also, airport transport was $16 vs. the $25 we paid at Cinnamon so I do think they are overcharging. Honestly if we had paid less for Cinnamon, I wouldn't have been disappointed. But based on my experience elsewhere in the same neighborhood, I just wanted to give a heads up to other travelers.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank sikefoo
Reviewed 13 September 2011

The Cinnamon Hotel is in a beautiful old house in front of the Cathedral in Hanoi, a really convenient place for sightseeing and shopping. It's full of character, with great wooden floors and lovely dark furniture. It is incredibly good value, we got a really good deal with breakfast and a heavenly foot massage included in the very reasonable rate. After coming back from the four hours trip to Halong Bay the foot massage was a godsend! The staff is incredibly helpful, charming and polite and they really go out of their way to please. They even bought a huge bunch of flowers on my husband's birthday! They arranged taxis, told us about a great little place to eat nearby, and helped us with the pick up from Da Nang to our next hotel in Hoi An calling the hotel without charging us, they printed stuff for us and could not have been kinder. A fantastic find.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2011

It's in a great location as a base to explore Hanoi.
The rooms are reasonably good & functional, although the shower could be better.
Wifi works well.
Staff & very friendly & helpful & they arranged all our excursions without any problems.
I'm not a heavy sleeper & our room did overlook the church but i only noticed the church bells once or twice & they certainly never disturbed our sleep!
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Razzi-B
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The Cinnamon is a charming little hotel in the heart of hanoi. For the most part it suited us just fine, as we were only staying for three nights and enjoyed the location and uber friendly service. With the breakfast included it was really good value for the price. I really want to give this hotel five stars but we had a few issues. Might as well the bad news over with:
1) We arranged for an airport pick-up (confirmed via email) but no one showed to get us (which could have been disaster as there is a practice of taxis trying to trick tourists by taking them to entirely different hotel than the one requested where they are overcharged, see lonely planet for more on this...). My husband explained this to the intake clerk once we arrived (we had to get our own taxi, which wasn't that big of a deal) but he didn't seem to understand (though his english was very good) so when we checked out he got a little annoyed with us for not telling him and there was a long process of calling the mystery driver to verify, because we refused to pay for a ride we didn't receive. Eventually, it was all worked out. Luckily, we were able to enjoy the lovely complimentary breakfast while we waited. The breakfast was quite good, especially the Vietnamese coffee.
2) The shower is terrible. There's no separate stall (so you stand in front of the toilet, getting everything wet) which I understand is a western luxury so that wasn't what bothered me so much as the crappy shower head that barely worked. I'd say about a 75% of the holes were clogged so it basically just spit on us. And the water wasn't that hot. We got caught in a flash rain storm so we hoping to warm up and clean off but mostly we were just disappointed. Also, there were these cute little refillable bottle of shampoo or conditioner or something on the sink but they weren't well labeled and I couldn't figure out what was was so we just bought soap and conditioner in town.

The good news is those were the biggest issues so not too bad all in all. Aside from that, we were quite pleased. The rooms were very cute and the decor charming. There was an affordable and well-stocked mini bar (though, we noticed that the mini whiskey bottles had broken seals and looked really old so most likely they'd been refilled with some mystery liquid. I'd stay away from those) and TV with a variety of channels (some even in English). Air conditioning worked well. Nice comfy beds and linens and plenty of room to relax. The staff was great, always with a smile and eager to help with recommendations for trips, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here last month. It's a great hotel! The staff was extremely friendly!

Pros:
- WONDERFUL staff! I feel like they'd do anything for you! They call cabs for you, print out your flight plans for you (if you need them to), ask you if you need anything (even after you've checked out!), etc... They remember which room you're staying in when you reenter the hotel. Wonderful!
- Breakfast was delicious! It's impossible to leave breakfast hungry! They make excellent banana pancakes!
- Great location! You can walk to many sites from here. Many shopping opportunities!
- The hotel knows honest cab drivers who are friendly and don't overcharge you.

Con:
- The church bells are loud. (This didn't bother me, but I could see how people can be bothered if they're light sleepers.)

Overall:
Wonderful hotel! We'd definitely stay here again! :)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple