“Not consistant in quality and service ”
Review of Dolphin II Hotel

Dolphin II Hotel
Ranked #424 of 598 Hotels in Hanoi
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 10 January 2010

• Stayed: January 2010
There are newer reviews for Dolphin II Hotel

Reviewed 22 December 2009

Located in the Old Quarter, 5 minutes walk to the Lake, the Water Puppet Place, a small local market where orchids can be had for a dollar, endless rows of luggage, shoes, souvenir stores, authentic Vietnmese food stalls, upscale restaurants... I can go on and on. One cannot be more centrally located than at Indochina 2.

We stayed there 3 nights in a clean room with new modern dark wood furniture. Our room was not big but not tiny either. Our room did not have windows but it was just fine and quiet. The water pressure in our shower was strong. Some other rooms had tubs and were more spacious. There were two computers at the lobby for guest use, for checking email etc. Breakfast was served at the top floor which has a good view. There was a nice choice of Western and Vietnamese items available... eggs, bacon, pho, egg rolls, noodles, fruits, cheeses, cereals... quite nice. The only negative that comes to mind would be the mattress... very hard but I slept well anyway.

Other than its 5 star location and 3 star amenities, this hotel has a warm, wonderful, very hospitable staff. Cold drinks mysteriously appear when one lounges at their reception area. The woman at the reception desk, I can't remember her name accomodated our requests everytime, answered our questions with a genuine smile and even went out to hail us a cab and gave the cab directions. John, one of the managers, was equally pleasant. They had no problem understanding us altho all we spoke was English and we had no problem understanding their halting English. Polite, pleasant, helpful, knowledgeable, service oriented, I could not ask for more from hotel staff. We were so pleased with the overall service we gave the front desk woman a tip before we checked out. John was not around then. She had to be cajoled into accepting.

We enjoyed our time in Hanoi and staying at Indochina 2 played an important role in making that so. I'd highly recommend this hotel to travellers who want great value for their money. It was not the best hotel during our trip up and down Vietnam, that honor would have to go to the Camellia in Hue or the Sofitel in Dalat, but for Hanoi I think Indochina 2 is great choice.

Tips: Take cabs to go places, really cheap. Check out the Art Museum, one can feel the soul and get a good sense of the history of Vietnam in a non-didactic way. Do not miss overnighting on a boat in Halong. Halong was the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: October 2009
24  Thank poggibonzzi
Reviewed 22 November 2009

My father and I stayed 3 nights and then one additional night that same week after FRANK arranged our tour to Halong Bay on the Phoenix Cruiser (don't miss this!). We found this hotel purely by chance because as airline personnel, we weren't sure when we'd arrive and when we did, our original hotel was full. Our taxi driver suggested this and it was perfect. $75/nt. with two queen beds ( firm by US standards, but the pillows were soft and the additional quilts in the closet acted as a mattress pad). Very clean linens and towels. The room was well decorated and had its own computer. It was a good size too with additional chairs a vanity table and armoire. We were on the corner so we had windows on two sides of the room. The shower was in the corner of the bathroom with a sliding glass door. Very modern and spacious. We were on the 6th floor and this place has an elevator. Complimentary breakfast on the roof (8th floor) every morning. And the staff was awesome. Frank allowed us to hire him as an interpreter for the day. My father, an Air Force veteran, wanted to see the little town of Bac Giang about 30km northeast of Hanoi. Frank hired a driver and away we went. He took us to a village that made ceramics and we got a tour of the main building where the pottery was made. He later helped us navigate through the backstreets of Hanoi to find the remnants of a B-52 in a small lake. Frank brought us to his favorite restaurant in the Old Quarter and it was delicious.
I had the hotel keep some of our bags when we went to Halong Bay for the cruise. A typhoon hit and we were delayed from returning to Hanoi for our 2 remaining nights stay. I called the hotel and they were kind enough to refund one of the night's stay. They were very professional and you can tell they want to provide excellent customer service. I would definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 3 October 2009

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We stayed here when we first arrived in Hanoi beginning of June and liked the hotel staff and the location (which was not far from Hoan Kiem Lake) so much that when we had to come back to Hanoi to catch our connecting flight home we booked, via the net, 3 days at the end of our trip. The buffet breakfast up on the top floor overlooking part of the lake and surrounds was such a good way to start the day as the food was yummy. We were always welcomed back into the hotel with happy smiles.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2009

Indochina like my second family.I’d stayed in there for 3 days with my friends.That’s really a wonderful holiday of us in Hanoi.The hotel staves are very friendly.All we can see on them are lovely smiles and devoted attendance.The rooms is very clean.The buffet breakfast is so great.Sitting on the 8th floor to eat breakfast, we can enjoy the beautiful landscape of Hanoi.Indochina is on 40-42 Lo Su,Hoan Kiem Dist,Hanoi.It’s crowded location of travelers for who wants to shopping or visit to ancient places. We took so many photos with the staves in there to save the great memories.I’ll never forget the days that we stayed there.That’s so beautiful!And we’re sure when we get the other chance to back to Hanoi, we will stay in your hotel.Thanks so much for helping us when we asked for!

Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I have to tell you that until now I still remember clearly those memories.I’m with my lover held our wedding in Hanoi and we chose Indochina 2 Hotel is the place for relaxing and for enjoying the honeymoon trip.We stayed in there for a week.Location of hotel is on the ancient ward.The staffs in hotel are very friendly and considerate.When we came they gave us some ice-tea and water with ice because that’s hot day in Hanoi.We got a room for relaxing.That’s so convenient clean and very romantic,.We feel so comfortable when we relaxed on the bed and watched TV.The air was so good.And we’re so surprise with the buffet breakfast.It’s free!My happiness is got married with my lover.That became bigger and more wonderful when we stayed in this hotel.I really want to say thanks so much for caring of us.
Thanks!