“Don't know if the issue was the culture or the hotel.”

Movenpick Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #81 of 588 Hotels in Hanoi
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't know if the issue was the culture or the hotel.”
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Movenpick was just an average hotel. The one thing that bothered me were the flying insects in the restaurant (that had good food) and the dead ones on the window sills in the restaurant. Hanoi is so much different than Saigon so maybe that's why I was a bit freaked with the uncleanliness around the hotel area. English not very well spoken at this facility but hey, I'm in their country and should know their language!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
PatrickManthe, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 17 April 2011
I truly appreciate your review of our property. Please accept my sincere apology for the flying insects in the restaurant. Please be informed that we have immediately addressed this issue and taken the necessary actions in order to rectify this situation.

My team and I would like to thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you back again in the future.

Patrick Manthe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 April 2011

This is my third time at this hotel and it's still a good place, especially for business people. It's quiet (no big tour groups) and the staff is efficient. The food is good at the restaurant and the spa service was nice.

Room Tip: avoid street noise-ask for a room on higher floors
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Geneva P
PatrickManthe, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 21 April 2011
Thank you very much for sharing your second review of our property on tripadvisor.com and returning to our hotel for the third time already. We truly appreciate your loyalty and I'm glad to read that we were able to improve our services as well as the quality of our food compared to your last stay with us. It is bacause of valid feedback like yours that we are able to tackle service issues as soon as they occur and your encouraging review shows us that our efforts are well received and recognized.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon again.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 April 2011

The hotel is located right at the edge of the Old Quarters, but away from the hustle-bustle and the noisy lanes. Rooms are spacious and have a lovely decor. Staff was attentive, and smiling, especially housekeeping staff Mai. Check-in was smooth. When we returned back to our room after lunch on the first day, to find a broken glass in the bathroom. The Manager, Nicolas Martin was very concerned for our safety and immediately moved us to another room. The breakfast is amongst the best I have had in this region, especially the noodle soup, and the restaurant staff was warm and remembered me from my last stay at this hotel. For vegetarians, I would highly recommend the Portobello Mushroom Sandwich at the Mangosteen restaurant. The hotel provides you with a map of the Old Quarters, and the reception is also able to help with direction and restaurants around the hotel. The business center can also provide you with a local SIM card, if u need one. Taxis are stationed right outside the hotel at all times. A very good hotel for either business or leisure.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank charlierao
Thank you very much for the great review written about our hotel. It is a pleasure to read all your positive remarks and I am happy that you have such a positive impression of our hotel. I hope your trip to Hanoi provided you with pleasant memories and we will be able to welcome you back at our hotel in the near future.

Thanks again for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.com.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We had a great stay at the Movenpick and the staff were so friendly we would recomend it to anyone going to Hanoi, the staff even took us shopping for a coat when it was raining and cold, cant get better service than that, very friendly, and the rooms were great if we ever go back we will be staying at the Movenpick again for sure

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank happyholidays201169
PatrickManthe, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 28 March 2011
Thank you very much for the great review written about our hotel. I am particularly happy that you found the service provided by our team members worth mentioning as this is the one factor, I believe that truly makes the difference to a guest. I hope your trip to Hanoi provided you with pleasant memories and I'm glad to hear that you would stay with us again in the future.

I will certainly share your remarks with my team members as they are a great source of encouragement.

Patrick Manthe

Thanks again for sharing your experience on this forum.

Osprey, FL
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We toured with a large group of 33 throughout Cambodia and Vietnam. Hanoi was our last stop before heading back to the states. The location of this hotel is good and there are fine restaurants just a block or two away so you don't feel trapped in the hotel.
But, the room we were assigned was across from the elevator. I constantly heard the ringing of the elevators through the door.
The bed is very comfortable and the bath modern. Although the hand-held shower head needs attention so it doesn't spray into the rest of the bathroom. Great selection of TV stations.
The major problem was with the switches for all the lights. Seems there are two master switches, one by the front door and another near the bed. Never could figure out how to have only the option of turning on bathroom without rest of room lighting up, too. The second morning, the master was switched on and blew out all the lights except for the TV. An electrician had to come to the room to repair. Turn fair amount of time, since our plan was to go have breakfast prior to final day of tour. There was a language barrier on mastering the lighting options.
Would suggest this hotel only if you're at end of the hall. Breakfast buffet was included for our group. Good coffee and enjoyed the fruit juicer on the buffet. Nice way to start the day.

• Stayed March 2011
PatrickManthe, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 27 March 2011
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad to read that you like the location of the hotel, the comfortable bed and modern bath room as well as the breakfast offer. Please accept my apology for the problems you encountered regarding the light switches in the room. We are looking at a possibility to rectify this issue of having two master switches. It is generally not a problem, but it can be an annoyance for a second person in the room especially during the night time.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We stayed at the Moevenpick for 2 nights before and after a visit to Halong Bay. The rooms were a good size, clean and stylish, although the bathroom in the room on our 2nd stay was quite cramped, I'd recommend asking for a corner room which our first room was.

I would also avoid a room near the lifts (our 2nd room) as they made loud "bings" every time the lift arrived on the floor which woke me early in the morning.

Another problem with the lifts is that there are only 2. When we tried to check out at 8am (the time for all the Halong Bay pickups, so it was very busy) it was impossible to get in a lift from the 3rd floor as they were all full by the time they reached us. We waited 15 minutes before we could get in one. There were no stairs we could see to take instead.

The breakfast buffet food was good, but the breakfast room was quite soul-less and not large enough. On our 2nd morning when there were no tables available we were shown to a function room(set up for a conference at one end) which had a few extra tables set up, down the corridor from the main room.

We visited this hotel on our honeymoon and it was the only hotel (out of 6 on our trip) that did not make some sort of honeymoon gesture or even comment. The front desk staff whilst efficient were some what abrupt and we did not feel they met 5 star standards,

It was very functional hotel that had more of a business feel than one for a luxury or romantic stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jimnem40
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel and the good comments about our rooms. We have noted your feedback regarding the noise of the elevator landing bell and have already instructed the elevator company to reduce this noise as well as to increase the speed of the elevators in order to minimize the waiting time for our guests. I'm very dissapointed to hear that we didn't recognize the special nature of your visit and missed this opportunity to make your stay an even more memorable experience. Please allow my team and me to send you belated congratulations to your wedding.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again to our hotel in the near future.

Hcmc, Vietnam
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Stay there room 1116, from 16/03 till 18/03/2011. Everything was good except that the rooms (at least 1116) has no reverse airco or for the least it was not working properly. It doesn't seem to bother the staff very much when I ask them to send a technician to check the installation, they just reply that they will add an electrical heater !!! (Baby size of course). it did not make much difference !

I am now back to HCMC with a flu !! Can't blame them for that but sure "fresh" atmosphere of my room did not help.

This hotel lack a good ventilation system at the main entrance/lobby that can keep the cold air out of the building. The temperature in their lobby and lounge bar on GF was about 15 to 16°C. How do you want business people to have a good discussion in such condition ! My prospect just wanted to end the meeting as soon as they can !

For an hotel that claim to be a boutique hotel and for a price of 120 USD ++, this is not acceptable !!

It is a pity to give a negative note to Moevenpick Hanoi but the above stated two points have really ruined my stay there despite the fact that all the rest was good if not really good.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
We truly appreciate your review of our property and I'm glad to read that in general you were happy with your stay in our hotel. Thank you for your comments regarding the temperature of your room as well as in the lobby area. Please be informed that we are currently reviewing our heating and ventilation system across the hotel in order to avoid such inconveniences in the future.