“A great stay at the Moevenpick Hotel in Hanoi”

Movenpick Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #75 of 580 Hotels in Hanoi
Singapore, Singapore
“A great stay at the Moevenpick Hotel in Hanoi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I had a great and wonderful experience with Moevenpick Hotel in Hanoi during my business trip on in Sept. This was my 2nd time staying in this hotel and I must say the most recent stay was a great experience for me. The services which provided by all levels of employees were very friendly and helpful. They have definitely make my stay worthwhile especiall the cleanliness of the hotel both in the hotel and restaurants, the ambience etc and i will highly recommend this hotel.

Thanks to the GM, Mr Philip Jones and his team for doing a great job in making my stay a very pleasant one compared to 4 years ago.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JasmineSim
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear Ms. Sim,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi . We know you have many choices when you travel and we really appreciate that you continue to stay with us when your travel plans bring you to Hanoi.

We make every effort to ensure your expectations are exceeded and we sincerely appreciate your kind words regarding the cleanliness and ambience of the hotel, as well as the friendly and helpful service you received from my colleagues.

Thank you again for your feedback on Trip Advisor, we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel and to continue ensuring your stays with us impress you and provide fond memories of Hanoi.

Philip Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed in Moevenpick Hotel Hanoi for 6 nights.

The hotel is nice. A large hall with enough reception desks (when I checked in and out). Rooms are of decent size. Inside you have a large double bed with lots of pillows, a sofa for 1, a desk with chair and decent sized wardrobe. The colour combination (green, black and white) as well as the mix of styles make the room look special - you may like it (like I did) or not but it is definitely different than other hotels.

Breakfast and other dining options are all in the restaurant on the second floor. Breakfast is conventional with Western pastries, hot dishes and Vietnamese hot dishes. I really appreciated their offering of fruits and yogourths. However don't expect traditional Vietnamese coffee here. I only tried to dine there once. Although the taste is good the choice of Vietnamese food is rather limited - do not come here for Vietnamese cuisine (Quan An Ngon is a few steps away) but it can be an interesting option if you feel nostalgic of Western food.

As others mentioned I am not sure it deserves the "luxury/5 starts" label as it lacks a swimming pool and sound isolation is not that good (even on the 10th floor). However, regarding bubbly sounds of the street, you don't come to Hanoi to immerse you in complete silence and I was pleased to hear a little bit of the street while working, reminding me I am in Hanoi and not in the office! :-)

As I took the 'In-residence' (for an additional ~ 20 EUR per day) I benefited from a free minibar, free laundry (3 pieces per day), some free drinks at the gym and in the lounge, a 1-hour free massage (unfortunately no time to try), etc. If you take advantage of these services it is definitely worth the price.

Overall it's not a "Wow!" hotel but definitely a nice place to stay, to get some rest after a day of work.

Room Tip: Room at the back are quieter - but room at the front have a better view :-)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi. We truly value your opinion as it is from your comments that we are able to uphold our commitment to excellence, thus providing you with customer satisfaction for future visits.

I was very happy to hear of the positive elements of your stay; from the size and décor of the guestrooms, to the variety of fresh produce on our breakfast buffet. I am also glad that you enjoyed the benefits of the In Residence Program, which offers an everything considered experience at a reasonable price.

I also wanted to acknowledge your comments regarding the selection of Vietnamese cuisine and indeed we do not position Mangosteen as a Vietnamese outlet, rather an International outlet, which happens to offer some Vietnamese dishes. That said I am delighted that you found the dishes to be of good flavor and quality.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our last two nights in Vietnam as a nice way to finish our holiday.

Overall, it was a nice stay but I'm not sure if it was worth the price or the five star rating.

I travel for work frequently and have stayed in numerous brands of 5 star establishments and I would rank the Moevenpick as one of the lower ones in terms of the 'wow' factor that I think is expected at this price and category of hotel.

The good:

The hotel is nicely decorated, especially the room, which were a good size, modern and comfortable.

The staff were always lovely (though sometimes the wait at the front desk took a while until whoever was on called more staff out to help).

Breakfast was great - the best we had in Vietnam but that is to be expected for the price.

The bad:

No pool is an issue for this type of hotel in a hot location.

Wifi is obviously an issue mentioned in other reviews but was more of a concern for my travel partner as I can do without but it seems to be standard to have free Wifi almost everywhere in Vietnam so it's surprising this comparatively very expensive hotel still feels the need to charge.

Otherwise it was more just the lack of the little touches that leave a positive impression.

Overall, it is a nice hotel, but you could do much better for your money in my opinion by staying in a Vietnamese-branded 4 star hotel for half the price.

• Stayed September 2013
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. We make every effort to ensure your expectations are exceeded and I sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to share your personal experience and recognize the positive elements of your stay. I was delighted to know that you found our team to be “lovely”; I am very fortunate to work with such caring and dedicated individuals. I was also glad to learn that you enjoyed the breakfast and found the rooms to be comfortable and well decorated.

With regard to the price for internet access, please know that this service is priced competitively with the other local internationally operated hotels and as such our service employs the highest levels of security to ensure your on-line safety. I also wanted to also make note of your comment regarding the; “lack of little touches that leave a positive impression”. I am truly sorry if we did not meet your expectations, as I know we typically work to engage our hearts, minds and smiles at every occasion to ensure our guests are surprised and delighted by thoughtful and generous touches.

Thank you once again for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again when your travel plans bring you back to Hanoi.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for one night at the end of our holiday before we flew back home. During our holiday we stayed at 2 other luxury hotels in Hanoi (the intercontinental and hotel de l'opera) so I feel I am in a good position to make comparisons.
We arrived early to the moevenpick hotel and were pleasantly surprised that a room was available for us.
However this was the only real positive aspect of our stay here.
Now the negatives:
- there was no pool (how can a 5 star hotel have no pool?)
- the Internet was very expensive (both other hotels we stayed at offered it complimentary)
- the service in the lobby bar was very poor. We waited a very long time for any service and could never find anyone when we wanted to sort out the bill. The drinks and food also very expensive in comparison to other hotels.
- we had diner in the second floor restaurant and sat by the window. The windows were so dirty so we could not enjoy a view out over the street. The food was very average and seemed over priced for what was offered.
- the room it self was clean but fairly basic. The shower didn't have much hot water and pressure was poor.
- the lifts to the room were very slow and we felt like we waisted a lot of time waiting around.

All in all not a very pleasant stay.

2 Thank Kishan A
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Guest,

It is certainly never our intent to disappoint our guests or provide anything less than the best in service and facilities and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. Your experience is so extreme and unlike the feedback we typically receive that I would ask you to contact me personally at the hotel, so I can learn more.

We certainly look forward to the opportunity in welcoming you back and serving you again in the refined ambiance and service excellence for which we are known.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Overall, I enjoyed staying at the Moevenpick Hotel. We arrived at 10pm and the restaurant (empty) were happy to have us eat there though it was close to closing time. The front desk were efficient and recommended some good nearby places to eat. We skipped breakfast which wasn't included in the rate, and asked the front desk where to eat and they recommended Ngon Restaurant nearby, which was great. Not expensive at all and it is a clean "hawker"stall theme restaurant.

The location is pretty good with a few trendy places nearby, but it is far from Hoan Kiem Lake, the French and Old quarters, which are the main tourist areas. You'd need to take a 10 minute cab ride there. I would recommend this hotel, it is quiet and well run, if you don't mind being some distance from the action.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear Guest,

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience and I sincerely appreciate that you have acknowledged so many positive elements of your stay; particularl the convenient location of the hotel within the city of Hanoi and the friendly and helpful service you received from my colleagues. We make every effort to maintain the high standards of timely and quality service delivery that Moevenpick is known for and I am pleased that we have been successful in achieving this during your stay.

Thank you again for your kind words. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

For a five star hotel without a pool or free wifi in the rooms, I wasn't blown away with this place. The room smelt damp and the free wifi was only available in the lobby. While using this service we had coffee and cake which was appallingly expensive for the basic quality and the service was slow and it was a struggle to get anyone's attention despite the lobby being quiet. We had a much better stay at the hotel De l' Opera earlier on our trip to Vietnam.

Dear Guest,

It is certainly never our intent to disappoint our guests or provide anything less than the best in service and facilities and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations or our own service standards with regard to your experience in our lounge. I also want to acknowledge your comment regarding the smell you experienced in your room. Please know, that while neither of these defects are indicative of the level of service we typically provide, we will use your feedback to ensure future guests receive the level of service expected of our brand.

Again, my sincere apologies for failing to provide you with an impeccable visit. We certainly look forward to the opportunity in welcoming you back and serving you again in the refined ambiance and service excellence for which we are known and that you as our valued guests have come to expect from residing at our hotel.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst travelling in Vietnam. Hotel nice and clean with good size rooms. Breakfast was included and was perfectly ok. No bar as such but had a nice lounge area on the ground floor where you could get a drink or food. Wifi also available in lounge area. Hotel had a restaurant although we did not use it, it looked fine. As we arrived late we did order room service which left a lot to be desired - but this is the only negative and it wouldn't put me off staying here again. I would certainly recommend this hotel for a short stay in Hanoi as it is in a good location for touring the city.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
PhilipJonesF, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Guest,
I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at The Moevenpick Hotel, Hanoi on Trip Advisor. We make every effort to ensure your expectations are exceeded and I want to thank you for acknowledging the positive elements of your stay; from the quality of our breakfast to the size and comfort of our rooms.

I am also grateful to receive your comments regarding the quality of our Room Service. We take great pride in the level of service and attention to detail that we are able to provide our guests and when their expectations are not met, we have failed in our primary endeavor to ensure both you and future guests receive the service expected of us. Please know that I will use your feedback as a tool to ensure we consistently meet the high standards we set for ourselves.

Thank you once again for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future.