“Funky but not for kids” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Movenpick Hotel Hanoi

Movenpick Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #76 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
“Funky but not for kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2010

I do not believe in compromising on quality just because I travel occasionally with 3 kids under 10. Moevenpick is a funky newish hotel that appears to have had much thought put into it. In the foyer you will see pretty young women and men with their shopping bags and well to do business people in suits. Service is efficient but with a forced smile. Unfortunately, Kids are treated as low priorities especially at the dining room although they are not officially discouraged from staying at the hotel. No Wifi is a problem especially since many cafes around town offers free wifi. Cost to a hotel such as this should not be an issue.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EJand3kids
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 14 January 2010
It is very unfortunate to read about your negative experience in our hotel in regards to the lack of attention given to your children. While we are certainly a hotel that is frequented a lot by business travelers during the week, we certainly do not want to be perceived to cater more to one group of customers over another. I thank you very much for pointing this out to us, as this is obviously an area we need to improve on. My apology for the negative experience you had in this regard and I can assure you that we will look into this seriously.
In regards to your comment on the internet charges: While I understand your point and work on a better solution for the future, internet at the level of security provided in our hotel, comes at a very high cost in Vietnam. Indeed some of the local hotels and Cafes offer complimentary internet access, but those services are not only unreliable, they are highly vulnerable to data security breaches and we need to ensure the security of the internet service and data of our customers. We are, as mentioned, however working on lowering the costs for such services in the future.

Thank you very much again for sharing your valuable comments with us.

Knuth Kiefer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

This is an excellent hotel with great facitilities, nice spacious well equipped rooms, good food and excellent friendly staff. The only downside is no free wireless (which is a irritation of mine), but a minor and I'm afraid common irritation! The hotel is ideally located for all of the city attractions and great value

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank newboldi
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 3 January 2010
Thanks a lot for the nice comments on our hotel. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.
I certainly understand that in many locations around the world free internet access has become quite common. However, as much as we would like to offer this to our customers generally, internet access in Vietnam is unfortunately still very costly. As an international hotel, we need to ensure that not only the speed of our internet connection is satisfactory; we also have to ensure the security of our internet platform to safeguard our customer’s data. This unfortunately requires a sophisticated internet set-up that costs a large amount of money. The fees we charge for internet access therefore are mainly to cover our own costs of providing this service and not a source of additional income for the hotel. We do however work on lowering such costs in the future whenever possible.

Once again, thank you very much for your time to share your experience in our hotel

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2009

A superlative modern hotel in Vietnam's most beautiful and historic city. The staff made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived and went out of their way to make sure we had a comfortable, quiet and spacious room [my husband and I were travelling with our 23-year-old daughter, who teaches English in Ho Chi Minh City]. Breakfast was included and the food rivalled anything we've enjoyed in the best hotels in Europe. The hotel was in easy walking distance of the beautiful Fine Arts Museum and other cultural sites as well as superlative restaurants. The only thing that needs improvement? The map of the city that the hotel provides!

• Stayed November 2009
3 Thank Wandzia22
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 27 December 2009
I am grateful for the kind review of our property and I am happy to read your positive comments on our hotel.
I am aware of the problem we currently have with the maps we provide to our guests and I am working on an improvement on this. I appreciate you pointing it out though, as it is another confirmation for us that this is an urgent matter that we need to address right away.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel

Saigon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2009

From the moment of check in until departure it was a joy to stay in this hotel. The service levels were of such a high consistent standard it reminded me of good Swiss hotels.
Food was superb. Word of advice though the portions are large akin to American size portions . However if you cannot finish all the food and leave it and go out for the day it is still there when you return ( a godsend after a tiring day ).
Room service managed to perform the miraculous feat of delivering the food exactly when they said they would.
Breakfast huge selection.
Rooms are large and stylish. Depending which side of the hotel you are on great views over the Hanoi skyline.
One thing that was very impressive was that upon check out the receptionist gave me a small customer questionnaire to complete whilst I was waiting.
Very sensible idea and wish all hotels did this.
It is not that inexpensive but money very well spent .

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2009

We ask a lot of the hotels we choose and the Moevenpick satisfied every one of our requirements. You could not ask for a better hotel in Hanoi. We stayed 5 days at the Moevenpick, left for Halong Bay and returned for 3 days at the Sofitel Metropole. You cannot beat the Metropole for its elegance and location but the Movenpick seemed warmer, and I cant say enough about the service. Everyone was completely attentive - the front desk eagerly answered every question and the doormen were amazing and helpful, particularly when the Hanoi cabs try to overcharge. After the first day, the staff always knew who we were. As evidence, see how the manager responds to most of the reviews on this site. I think this concern is genuine. The rooms definitely win out at the Moevenpick where they are newly redecorated and larger. And certainly, you cannot beat the prices at the Moevenpick. Have tea at the Metropole, and go there for a drink around the pool after dinner, but stay at the Moevenpick!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank CP-SanFrancisco
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 14 December 2009
Being compared with such established and prestigious hotels as the Metropole is certainly an honor for us. And having succeeded in this comparison even more so...
It is great to read that our team has made you feel comfortable and your stay was a positive experience in general.
I do appreciate your comment of course regarding the fact that I reply to the comments here on Tripadvisor. I consider this however a basic courtesy for anyone that takes the time to share with us (and other travelers for that matter) their experience in our hotel. Any positive comment is a great encouragement to our entire team, while any negative experience gives us the opportunity to look at our services and products and try to do better. This being the case,- I would like to thank you for taking your time to write this review on our property, I will certainly share this with my colleagues.

Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2009

I haven't reviewed any of the hotels I stayed at in the past but was encouraged to do so by a colleague of mine that booked us in this hotel based on reviews on thi site.
Staying 80-100 nights a year in different hotels throughout Asia and North America, I believe I know whether a hotel is serving the needs and expectations of travellers and in my opinion the moevenpick hotel in Hanoi certainly does that.
I wasn't expecting uch as I never really had any holte in Hanoi "wow" me but this hotel certainly is unique. I can't say they do things completely different than other hotels, but what they do, they do right and that is more than I can say from my experiences in other hotels in this city!
Things simply work and are efficient. Breakfast is excellent. Can't say anything about the other meals though as we mainly ate out with clients.
Fitness center is not very big but certainly enough for me any my colleagues, so all in all a very good choice for us and we certainly will be back.
If there is one thing I would like to comment on, it's the lack of a hotel bar. They do have a nice lobby lounge but no real bar, but that's about the only negative I can think of.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Sing-australian
Such positive remarks, especially from a frequent traveler such as yourself, certainly are highly appreciated and confirm that our efforts in providing guests with the experience they are expecting are paying off. I am particularly pleased about your comment on our “basics”. I do believe that in order to exceed guest expectations, first the basics is a hotel need to be in place,- No point trying to be fancy if the coffee in the morning would be cold or the bed is uncomfortable… Having said this, we certainly continue to try and better our service standards but I am happy to read that your experience was such a positive one already.

Best regards,

Saigon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2009

I live in Saigon and travel frequently to Hanoi. My company previously booked me at the Melia but as the Melia is getting very old and needs some urgent renovation, they asked me a few months ago to try the Movenpick Hotel. I haven't heard about this brand before to be honest but since I tried it out a few months back, it became my favorite hotel in Vietnam (I travel a lot in the country). The design is great and service is attentive. The best part is probalby that it is located in the city center and I can reach all areas very quickly.
Good breakfast I must say. I am Vietnamese and there is a good selection of both, western and Asian dishes, so that's good.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank NguyenTH
KnuthKiefer, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this review, 25 November 2009
We are very happy that you took the time to review our hotel and give us such high marks. It is a confirmation for our entire team that our efforts are appreciated. We don’t take this however as a reason to become complacent but rather look to improve further on a daily basis.
If we can be of any additional assistance on your future visits of our hotel, please feel free to contact myself or any member of our team.

Thanks again