“Great location, so-so service”

Movenpick Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #82 of 606 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 26 January 2011

The hotel in general is a nice higher-end hotel that strangely has no heating to the rooms. The hotel provided a small, inadequate space heater but it was apparent that there actually was heating since the common areas were at a comfortable temp. Also, a lot of litte service issues thoughout the stay. If you come in winter and don't like cold rooms, then you should think twice about this place. I'm sure in warmer months it is not an issue.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
PatrickManthe, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2011

Thank you very much for your review here on Tripadvisor.com. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience caused to you regarding the low temperature in your room. Unfortunately, and due to unusual low temperatures this winter in Hanoi our heating system has been struggling for some days to cope with the cold weather. I'm glad to inform you that this situation has been rectified.

We are hopeful that your next stay with us will be a pleasant one and I am always grateful for any feedback, whether positive or negative as this is the only way we can improve.

Patrick Manthe

Write a ReviewReviews (1,457)

Reviewed 22 January 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of our trip to Vietnam. Room was very nice, spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Very clean rooms and an excellent breakfast (although very pricey at 20dollars a person).

Only downside was the concierge desk, we asked for recommendations for restaurants and halong bay cruise and were pretty disappointed with each. The staff are very young and while the rest of the experience was great, I would not be relying on their recommendations.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Muppet50
PatrickManthe, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2011

We truly appreciate your positive review and are glad to read that you liked our rooms as well as the breakfast. Thank you for your feedback regarding the recommandations of our concierge team which we will discuss with them accordingly. Our goal is to constantly improve on our service levels and your feedback will certainly help us in achieving this.

My team and I would like to thank you for staying with us and we hope to have you back again in the future.

Reviewed 13 January 2011

The hotel itself is very nice, and the rooms are great. The location is central. The services in the hotel are expensive though-- $20 for breakfast, $10/day for wifi, $50 for a ride to the airport, $8 to mail 4 post cards.

My friend and I were traveling together, and had made a reservations for 2 separate rooms. When we arrived, however, the staff failed to realize this, and instead bypassed the regular checkin process and whisked us up to a single room with a king size bed. Apparently, they thought the 2 of us would be sleeping there together. It was very embarrassing for us. Worse, upon realizing this, the lady doing the "private" checkin didn't apologize. Instead, she proceeded to tell us what she thought-- that we were "special guests" sharing a room together. Yeah, no kidding, I know what you were thinking. Next time, before embarrassing people, you might want to 1) check the reservation, and 2) be more subtle. That sense was completely lacking.

The hotel offers a shuttle to and from the airport at a rate of $50 each way. It is very pricey given that a taxi costs $15. Upon overhearing a conversation amongst other guests about the significantly lower cost of a taxi, we proceeded to question one of the staff about the cost of a taxi. They were not straightforward about it, and were clearly trying to dissuade us from canceling the shuttle for obvious reasons. Given that information up front, few would choose the shuttle option which is 3x the cost.

Finally, I bought some stamps from the small gift shop in the lobby. I was told I needed 8 stamps, with a face value of 10,500 VND. The lady then charged me 150,000 VND. When I asked how she arrived at that number, she did some random calculation and arrived at a result which was not what she charged me. She showed me the calculator, and I pointed out that the number being displayed on the calculator was not what she charged me, nor were any of the numbers being typed in related to the cost of the stamps nor the number of stamps I bought. She took the calculator back, did another random calculation, again coming up with a number which was not what she charged me, and showed me again. This process was repeated several times. Finally, I gave up, left to conclude that the person either made the price up (likely), or does not contain the capacity to multiply 2 numbers together. Overall, the amount of money in dispute was small. But this, combined with the other issues I faced with the staff left me feeling that they are not straightforward with their guests.

I would consider staying at this hotel again, based on the room cost and location. But I would recommend avoiding any of the services it offers.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
PatrickManthe, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2011

Thank you very much for your review here on Tripadvisor.com. I am of course deeply concerned about your observations on your recent visit, especially regarding your arrival experience. Receiving feedback like yours is essential for us in order to be able to address service issues as soon as they occur.

Please rest assured that we will immediately look at those issues in order to prevent such service lapses from reoccuring again.

I'm obviously very happy to read that you liked our rooms and the central location of the hotel.

Reviewed 29 December 2010

We LOVED our stay at this hotel. I would go back again tomorrow if I could!

Lobby : The lobby is really really large, open, modern and inviting. As it was Christmas time, they had a large gingerbread house in the reception with a nativity scene - it was stunning. Very impressive.

Reception : The reception staff were so friendly and could not do enough to help us - they were a pleasure to deal with.

Room: Our room was awesome. The bed was really comfortable, the bathroom was huge and so modern and clean. The room had what you would expect for a hotel of this level : Laptop safe, mini bar, hairdryer, iron and ironing board etc. There was a really large flatscreen tv which has loads of chanels. I must say that the building next door is having a lot of work done to it which is a bit noisy. If you are a light sleeper, just ask for a quiet room.

Restaurant : We had breakfast in the hotel (no other meals). My breakfast was divine! The hotel caters for all nationalities so you can have the national favourite Pho, a large variety of fruit, waffles, omlettes made to order....etc etc. The staff were very friendly and accommodating as well.

Location : You are right in the middle of everything. We walked everywhere as everything was so close by.

We loved this hotel and if we visit again, we will return for sure.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Girl_Reviews

Thank you very much for the great review written about our hotel. It is a pleasure to read all your positive remarks and I am happy that you have such a positive impression on our hotel. I hope your trip to Hanoi provided you with pleasant memories and you may opt to return in the near future.

Thanks again for sharing your experience on this forum.

Reviewed 29 December 2010

Great hotel,nice modern room,breakfast was excellent-big variety to choose from.room service food was not good.staff friendly and helpful.we would recommend it and stay again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tgecelter

I truly appreciate your positive review and I am glad to read that you liked our property, the breakfast, room service as well as the way our staff was looking after you during your stay at our hotel. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 December 2010

Walking distance to Quan An Ngo, where you can find dishes of street local food in a modern setting which helpful staff and fast service. 25 to 35 VDG to the lake. 25 mi walk to Koto, the well known resturnt, reputed for an excellent meal through training life and culinary skills to street kids. Clean, quiet and new looking. There is a cafe in the next building. For aqua /mineral water, go to the local shop opposite Quan An Ngo. Toothbrush, toothpaste and robe - provided.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ChilipadiYan

Thank you very much for your positive feedback about our hotel. We appreciate you sharing your experience on this platform and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future again.

Reviewed 25 November 2010

After visiting Hanoi a few times and stayed at different hotels around town, I must say this is one of the best run "international chain" hotels in Hanoi. But even hotel is part of the "chain", it gives people an elegant boutique hotel feel. Considering its location, hotel facilities, room quality, service standard, food quality and price, it is simply outstanding.

The only issue I will pick (if I must) is the internet charge which seems a bit high. Many hotels in Hanoi offer this service free of charge (and certainly the case for most hotels in HCMC) but this does not affect the overall great experience I had with Moevenpick. Also I will suggest fellow travelers take the breakfast option as you will not be disappointed! In all, I totally enjoyed my stay there and will not hesitate to go back for my future trips.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank SanFranExplorer
PatrickManthe, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2010

We truly appreciate your very positive review and are glad to read that you like our hotel and felt well taken care of by our team. We are constantly trying to improve further and your kind feedback shows us that our training efforts are recongnized and reflected on the level of service provided to our guests. Please be informed that our internet prices are in line with other 5-star properties within the city and I believe that it is important for you to know that we are offering a very secure internet connection, which is imperative for many international travelers.