Miss Nhi Beauty Club

Reviewed 14 May 2017
Joie O
Hong Kong, China
via mobile
DO NOT get eyelash extensions here!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

from US$52.00
from US$37.00
from US$33.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I will start from bad and go to worse. First, I have had a mani/pedi at Miss Nhi's salon. And it's true what the other reviewer said about the equipment not really being sanitary and the salon being dirty. The mani/pedi was nothing to write home about. They tried to convince me to get gel nails (like all salons in Hanoi do), because it's easier and faster for them and they get to charge more. But I got regular polish as I normally do. I will mention that had I not insisted on it, the girl who did my nails wasn't even going to use a base coat with red polish.

It's also true that they charge for each procedure separately. For example, you would normally think that a foot scrub would be included in a pedicure, since it is everywhere else. But not at Miss Nhi's. I was expecting a scrub and pumice and it never happened and the girl didn't even mention it. Apparently you have to ask for it beforehand, but how would you even know to do that? Charging extra for these different steps doesn't mean it's more expensive, per se. I think it costs about average in terms of Hanoi prices. It's just inconvenient if you don't know beforehand what their system is. They don't even soak your feet before a pedicure for example, unless you ask for it specifically beforehand. I just assumed they had a different system, and kept waiting for the soak, which never happened. My manicure also started to chip within a couple of days. And considering the OPI nail polishes they use are not authentic OPI, but are Chinese counterfeits instead, this is not surprising. So this is the bad. And here's the worse;

Don't ever, EVER, under any circumstance, allow Miss Nhi to touch your eyelashes! EVER! She absolutely destroyed mine! It really saddens me to write such a bad review, because I like Miss Nhi. She's a very nice and pleasant person. Unfortunately, she's absolutely awful as a lash tech. I went to her to have another set of lashes I had done somewhere else removed, because I didn't like the shape they gave me. No one in Hanoi seems to quite understand what volume lashes are, or know anything about Russian techniques. But time after time, I've been told "sure, no problem" when I've asked for Russian volume lashes, only to end up with an end result that looks nothing like them. Anyway... someone posted about this on a Facebook group and some people highly recommended Miss Nhi. So I decided to give her a try as well. She told me that she could give me exactly what I wanted. I also showed her many pictures of what I wanted and explained what I didn't like about the previous sets I had gotten in Hanoi.

First, she removed the set of lashes that I already had on, which was fine and she even commented on how much glue the previous "lash tech" (and I use that term loosely) had used, as it took about 45 minutes to removed them. It normally takes 5-10 minutes to remove eyelash extensions, if the lash tech has used proper technique and an appropriate amount of the right kind of glue. I washed my face afterward and all of the glue was thankfully off of my lashes and my lashes weren't damaged, so I was grateful.

Then Miss Nhi put on a new set of lashes for me. As she was putting on the lashes, she kept resting her hands on my forehead and at some points, her hands were basically resting right on top of my eyeballs and eyelashes. When she was finishing the second side, her hand was almost resting the entire time on the first side she had just finished, which probably still had wet glue, with quite a bit of pressure. If you have had this happen to you before, then you know how painful it can be when a lash tech "rests" their weight on your head for nearly two hours. For me, it was closer to three hours. I had a headache all of the rest of the day and my neck was killing me for two days following. If your lash tech knows what they're doing, getting eyelash extensions should not be painful in any way - your head, neck, shoulders, should not hurt and your eyes should not burn. All of the good lash techs I've been to, actually put me to sleep as they work. That's how comfortable it is when it is done the right way. But this is still not even the worst part of my experience...

I actually liked the results upon seeing them for he first time. I thought there were a bit too many lashes in the outer corners, which made my eyes look "closed off" but this is a common mistake many lash techs make when a client asks for the "cat eye" shape. "No big deal" I thought and went off on my merry way.

After leaving the salon, the eyelashes Miss Nhi attached to the outer corners of my eyes had already started to flop down and look ridiculous. I live in the neighbourhood, so I went home to examine what was happening. Looking into a magnifying mirror, I quickly realized that Miss Nhi had attached MASSIVE clusters of false lashes to my lashes on the outer most corners of my eyes. One of them actually fell out within half an hour and there were 11 lashes attached to this teeny, tiny, single lash. Yep, you read that right... ELEVEN! What lash tech in their right mind would do this?! One single, small lash cannot support the weight of eleven false lashes in a cluster and the real lash with fall out as a result. I have attached a photo of the lash that fell out for your reference. But sadly, that's not even the worst part yet.

Toward the end of the day, my eyes really started to hurt when I would blink or close them. I tried to figure out why this was and quickly came to the conclusion that the lashes on the outer corners of my eyes were COVERED in glue. There were clumps of glue all over my lashes, on my skin, tugging and pulling on my skin and my lashes, whenever I would move my eyelids in any way. It was terribly painful and I thought my eyelashes were going to be ripped out by the tugging. I couldn't wait for the morning so I could have this awful set of lashes removed.

The next day, instead of going back on the Facebook group Hanoi Beautiful and asking fangirls who clearly have no idea what good lash extensions should look or feel like and who have no standards for good service, I looked on tripadvisor and went to a spa with a great reputation in the old quarter. The girl who proceeded to remove this painful, sloppy, unprofessional mess on my eyelids was absolutely horrified at how bad of a job Miss Nhi had done. It took 1.5 hours of my lashes being saturated in the eyelash adhesive remover to get them mostly off. Yep, ONE AND A HALF HOURS!!!!!!!! And only mostly off, not completely! At the end, the lash tech told me that she didn't want to saturate my skin and lashes any more, because it wouldn't be good for them. She also said that I shouldn't put on a new set right then, because my lashes were quite damaged thanks to Miss Nhi, and needed to rest and recover. She said the remaining lash extensions (there were a few that wouldn't come off with any amount of rubbing or saturating) and glue would continue to come off in the next week. She advised me to wash my face often, saturate my lashes with water during showers, and use oil based eye makeup remover if I were to wear makeup. She said to go back in a week and she would remove whatever was left and assess if I am ready for a new set of lashes.

So I'm still in the waiting part. It has almost been a week now and there are still clumps of glue stuck to my eyelashes, that make my eyes itchy and uncomfortable. My lashes look horrible, even though all of the falsies that were leftover have fallen off. I can't even wear mascara to remedy the situation, because my lashes are literally in stuck in clumps with glue and mascara only accentuates this.

I actually can't believe Miss Nhi is this bad at eyelash extensions, yet still provides this service for people. I can't believe anyone would recommend her eyelash services at all. The only way in which I would recommend anything to do with Miss Nhi is to recommend that you don't let her anywhere near your eyelashes! EVER!

But, I have learned an important lesson from all of this. If you live in Hanoi, have standards, and care about your health and safety, do not look for beauty advice on Hanoi Beautiful. Save yourself the headaches and look on trip-advisor instead. Hanoi Beautiful is full of young, inexperienced expat girls who are probably getting lash extensions for the first time in their lives, because they couldn't afford them back home. So they have no basis for comparison and no idea what properly done extensions should look or feel like. There are so many places that offer lash extensions in Hanoi and I have certainly been disappointed by a few, but Miss Nhi was the absolute worst experience so far.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

I had a great experience there. Nhi and the ladies who worked there were warm and kind and very accommodating. I had eyelash extensions done And they are GREAT! Best I’ve ever had! Loved this salon, and always full of happy returning customers.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

I've had my makeup done professionally many many times. At miss nhi the palettes are broken and dirty. Even some of the brushes smeared remnants of other colors on my face! Never mind the fact that she insisted on using foundation two shades too dark -later I saw they didn't even have anything lighter. All this ended with her blending my lipstick with her sweaty fingers. I've never looked or felt worse.

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

Let me start by saying that the ladies working here were very sweet but seemed overtired and overworked. My issue with this place isn't about the service per se but the hygiene standards. We were asked to leave our sandals outside (presumably to keep the floor clean...which was fine) but when we entered, the floor was filthy! There were nail clippings and skin everywhere; just plain gross. We should have just left but decided to stay because it was recommended by the Intercontinental Club Lounge Manager. During the pedicure, there was no evidence tools were sterilized (in fact, a common tray was used by all). Adding insult to injury, the pedicure was advertised at 70,000 Dong but they asked for 420,000 claiming additional charges for the scrub (which would normally be done in an ordinary pedicure) and gel (which we did not request). In any other country, this is still a bargain, BUT, it was not what was advertised nor what we expected to pay; felt like we were ripped off. We should've trusted our gut and hightailed it out of there instead of sitting down!