“More than just rooms and facilities”

Bamboo Hotel Vietnam
Ranked #225 of 595 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Bamboo hotel is one of the place where you can get that authentic feeling of living in the heart of Hanoi's old quarter. This place is inexpensive to begin with, and the rooms are standard, but those are not what this hotel's best offers. The uniqueness of this hotel is the staffs who work inside, especially the manager. You could be paying for a room, but the care and attention that you'll get for free are the real deal. A nice, friendly conversation and advice is something that is difficult to get anywhere else, even in a five-starred hotel.

The staffs and the manager are more than just helpful, but also deeply care about your experience and happiness on your trip. They would give you free, true and useful advice on almost anything from food to activities, souvenirs, etc. But what makes them special is that they care a lot about your feeling and emotion about the journey, which could make them more than just regular hotel staff, but more like a friend or companion. The 'safe' and 'trust' feeling I have is the real gem that I got from this hotel during my stay in Hanoi.

The location itself is perfect to experience real daily live of Hanoi. From the hotel we could see and be a part of the daily life of Hanoian. The hotel is close to a traditional wet market, night market and Hoan Kiem Lake in the center of the Old Quarter; giving you the best experience of this particular area of the country.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Bamboo Hotel Vietnam

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Still amazes me what people think they are going to get for inexpensive rooms. As a customer at Bamboo or any other low cost hotel, I come in with my reasonable requirements of health, safety, convenience and then work from there. Everyone has their own definitions of those. I am not shy about inspecting a room and making improvements if possible. Or reject a room and see another. If noise is a problem then bring earplugs. If you need something cleaned then have it done. I just remember everywhere I go in Vietnam that service workers are not raised up in or live my western lifestyle. Food, accommodations or the like, it's just something they provide, not experience for the most part. When I stay in Hanoi, short-term or long-term, I choose Bamboo. It has the location, the room and the meals I want. The staff knows I mean business and that I respect them for all they do for me. We have a great time together.

Room Tip: #401 was my long-term stay. Yeah, you'll get your 'stair-master' workout each time but i...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

Stayed here my first night in Hanoi and paid $25 for the room which was more than we expected to have to pay but we were tired so we took it. Upon first glance the room looks nice but the furniture was a bit dusty and under the bed had not been cleaned for some time.

The bathroom was not very nice. the sink was coming off the wall a little and so all the water couldn't drain. My friend also noticed little worms in the water. Perhaps that is commonplace in Vietnam?!

The balcony was nice to sit out on. Very good for people watching but it is a busy road and so very very noisy.

We returned to the hotel about 1am and had to bang on the shutter and shout for about 5 minutes until someone opened it. We were not told about the closing time when we checked in. Seems this is common in a lot of hotels in Hanoi but prior warning would have been nice.

We stayed for one night as we wanted to find a cheaper hotel. When we checked out the receptionist asked where we were going and when i told her we were going to a different hotel for just $17 dollars she offered us the room at the same price. We didn't stay. Would have been nice to have been offered their best rate to begin with.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Our first experience of this place started like this:

Me: I'm sorry, but our room really stinks we cannot stay in it
Hotel: Noooo, room does not stink
Me: I'm afraid it does. Very much so
Hotel: Can you come back later, we are eating (it was 10pm)
Me: Emm, NO!
Hotel: Sorry we are full
Me: Ok we must leave then
Hotel: Ok, Ok. (Gave us key for opposite room which took all of 1 minute)

It did get better after that. The location is fantastic and it is very cheap so all in all we were satisfied with our stay here. Just make sure you check out the rooms first!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulFarrugia
Reviewed 8 November 2012 via mobile

Staff are really helpful, very reasonably priced for Hanoi @ $15/night. Rooms have nice feel to them and are all unique. all have ac. Would be nice if the tv's had some English channels. Rooms could do with a good old clean as they are a tad dusty and dirty, but bed linen etc... Is all clean enough. Would definitely stay here again. Nice place to chill downstairs aswell, food is ok.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 2 September 2012 via mobile

Room was basic (room 201) but a good size.

Location is very good for the old quarter and wandering the busy streets. The room had a balcony overlooking hang be - which was good. The noise didn't bother me.

Room had nice cold ac and picked up free wifi from somewhere. Water hot but no towels - perhaps you had to ask, but had my own anyway.

Breakfast was enjoyable - banana pancakes and coffee watching the busy street pass by.

Helpful staff on hand.

Would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Ckellygoddard
Reviewed 12 February 2012

You need to check out from your room first.The room is very small and tiny. There is no window in my room. The staff are firendly but the girl name Hien try to sell tours to us with expensive price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family