“Great value for money”

Hanoi Serenity Hotel
Ranked #78 of 628 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Stayed here after reading reviews and was taken aback at what a great place it was. Receptionist was exceptional friendly and was overly appologetic because our room wasnt ready when we arrived, we were early by the way. Made us very welcome, getting us tea and something to eat on the house I might add while we waited. She wanted to take our bags to the room when it was ready, we wouldnt let her, and we were all puffing by the time we got to our room. We were on the top floor and had to climb the steepest steps I have ever encounted and everyone was buggered by the time we got to the room, but the effort was rewarded The room was large and very clean with comfortable beds and a nice clean hot shower. We even had a computer in our room with free internet access, WOW. In a pretty good location close to all the sites. Couldnt recommend this place more highly, only downside is the steep climb to the higher levels so elderly better off on bottom floors.

Room Tip: Steep climb tothe top floors
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Glenita
There are newer reviews for Hanoi Serenity Hotel

Reviewed 7 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Serenity Hotel for several nights in February this year. The staff there were welcoming, spoke excellent english and were more than accommodating of our needs (early and late check-ins etc). The friendly staff helped us arrange our train tickets and taxi transfers as well as memorable tours of Sapa and Halong Bay. We had several spotlessly clean rooms with good sized windows, hot showeres and access to free wifi in all rooms. Breakfast was delicious and the free tea and coffee all day was a lovely surprise. I could not speak more highly of this venue, great staff, clean rooms and close to all the sights. Good value for money. A special thank you to the lovely Quyen and all the wonderful staff at Serenity Hotel for making our vacation so enjoyable!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lisa a
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed here for one week. Check-in was quick and someone carried my bags to room 401. The stairwell is steep and narrow. The walls of the stairwell have numerous scuff marks from the countless bags brought up and down. A couple of twin sized mattresses were left in the stairwell for part of my stay. In my room the entire wall behind the bed was covered in stains and there were a few patches of black mold (I scraped some off with my fingers because I was curious). It was a little disgusting but after a couple of days it began to grow on me. It almost seemed artistic...like an accent wall. All of the wall paper in the room needs replacement. The hot water thingy in the bathroom didn't work so I took cold showers for the entire week. When the weather is warm it's not that bad. When it was cooler outside showering reminded me of swimming in Lake Michigan when I was a child. The flooring in the room is some very low-grade faux wood laminate. Much of the floor near the window in my room had been damaged by water that had come in at some point in the past. As this can only be repaired by replacement the hotel partly covered it up with a potted plant and chair. The breakfast in the morning was fair for the price. Free coffe and tea is provided in the lobby all day. I bought no tours so I cannot comment on that part of their business.

Room Tip: Avoid room 401 untill they replace the wall paper and fix the water heater.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed here with my parents and husband for one night after a long overland journey from Laos. The welcome we received was so lovely and they greeted us with a cup of tea and coffee, gave us a map and talked us through where we were in relation to the sights.

The girl helping us was the most hospitable and helpful person I have met working in a hotel in my 7 months in South East Asia. She really makes the hotel shine (I'm so sorry that I don't know your name)!

We were kindly upgraded, due to availability. The rooms were spacious, clean with huge windows.

The hotel arranged our Halong Bay trip which we did with Dragon Cruise, which we recommend. There were 14 guests in the boat (including us) and the food was outstanding.

When we returned the lovely girl had gone home but the male member of staff offered us tea and coffee and allowed us to use the cafe until our late night train.

The breakfast was average to good- eggs, bacon and baguette. The hotel missed a few touches that would make it just perfect, such as complimentary water, tea/coffee in the room, although they provide us with a kettle and cups?

The rooms were a little damp, but as so spacious and only there for one night,it was no problem at all.

There are many stairs to the top floors,with no lift. If you have a problem walking consider asking for a lower floor. The staff very kindly assisted with our bags.

Overall a great stay for our short trip to Hanoi. A reliable hotel with brilliant service.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Letsseetheworld86
Reviewed 29 January 2013 via mobile

We paid $25 a night (inc Breakfast) and had to walk to the 6th floor (no lift) but one of the very friendly staff took our bags. Room was very big, clean and had a great bathroom, computer and cable TV. We stayed for nearly a week and did 2 tours to Sapa and Halong Bay which we organized through the very friendly hotel staff. Wifi downstairs and the lower levels. Breakfast is great and offer laundry for $2 a kilo. Why spend $150 a night when you can stay here? Thank you for the great stay!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Trueman94
Reviewed 23 January 2013

While a great price, great location and friendly staff, the hotel is plagued by one major issue, the design. There are no sprinklers, no smoke detectors, no second exits. All the rooms are up a single spiral stair case that is rather steep. There is a single fire extinguisher kept on the ground of each stairwell landing. These will do nothing against rising smoke. Also there are items like mattresses and cleaning supplies on the stairwell landings. We stayed on the 6th floor and there was no exiting out the windows. The kitchen is on the ground floor.

In addition to the safety issue, the wi-fi did not work. I could receive emails, but not send. No using any other features of my device that needed wi-fi. There were two computers downstairs, but both were very slow. One night was cold and there was no heat in the room, but they did provide extra blankets.

The staff is really, really friendly. They cook a free breakfast and are very responsive. They set us up with a trip to Halong Bay and made sure we got to the airport no problem. They can recommend places to visit, etc. The location is also very nice because you are really centralized and in walking distance of everything worth seeing.

Unfortunately given the building I don't see much they can do to fix the safety issues. For basically no cost they could install battery powered smoke detectors, but at this point I can't see fixing the other issues without major expense. Granted, I understand in Vietnam safety standards are not the same, but the location simply had issues that make it difficult for me to give a higher rating.

Room Tip: In general the lower the floor the better. The windows are not barred so on the lower floors you may...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Richard_Feenstra
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. Expectations were very high and at first I was slightly disappointed when I realised this is actually a budget hotel and you probably get what you pay for. However, then I met the staff and they are so incredibly attentive and friendly. I booked all my trips with them (Halong Bay, Sapa & Perfume Pagoda), they took time to explain what to expect from the trips, were not pushing for anything I did not want.
Rooms are fine, not spectacular. The deluxe rooms have computer, the standard rooms "only" a tv.
I would definitely go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms at the front are somewhat noisy due to traffic deluxe rooms have pc
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo