“Not that good”

Hanoi Serenity Hotel
Ranked #78 of 626 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We stayed there 3 nights. The room was good and clean with daily room service. The disappointment was when we checked out: befor we arrived we talked with the manager on the phone to ask about free pick up from the airport as they promise on their web site. He said we can have it because we stay 3 nights, but when we checked out it turned to be a misunderstanding and they charged us 9$ each for the pick up. We didn't pay it eventually but it was not a good experience with their service.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shimrit E
There are newer reviews for Hanoi Serenity Hotel

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Staff were friendly, greeted me and provided me with a map of the area when I first arrived. They also helped me to carry my luggage up the stairs, which are pretty steep and can be difficult up many floors with items.

Room was clean, bathroom a little old but still comfortable. I stayed on the 3rd floor and there were no windows, which did get a little claustrophobic but on the bright side, I felt a little safer.

I liked that the hotel was pretty easy to find even in the maze that is the Old Quarter, and the location is pretty central, easy to walk everywhere to the extent that I got blisters from walking around too much instead of taking other forms of transport. There were quite a few decent eateries nearby, and the staff would also offer recommendations and show you how to get there on your map.

Overall, enjoyed a short stay there.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel located in the old quarter. The rooms are very good, and good value for the price. Free coffee and tea 24h. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They help us to book the trip to Halong Bay and get a discount. We let our luggages at the hotel during our 2 days trip and when we came back, no problem. They also packed a breakfast for our early departure to the airport.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Having stayed here in 2009 and absolutely loving it, I decided to return this trip. While the staff had changed over, it was still a great option. We were given a complimentary upgrade with our room ... there were a few issues with the room, we couldnt get hot water, the computer in the room was slow and wouldnt work or connect, the tv channels died and the aircon wasn't the best, but apart from those issues still a great option.

The water issue couldnt be resolved and they offered us to shower in another room but we were only there for two nights so didnt bother. The computer and tv were fixed pretty quickly once we notified staff and at the end of the day they were things that ruined our stay at all... we had limited time in Hanoi and most of it was spend outside the hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel. It is in a great location, had a great breakfast included, lovely staff and clean rooms. Great value and if you need any tickets for trains etc arrange it through these guys.. We didnt use them to book this stuff this time around but I did on the last trip and it was hassle free

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wanderlust_Tarrants
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This hotel is in a good location in the Old Quarter, just around the corner from Bat Dan Street which has great pho Bo and cheap, excellent Bia Hoi! It only takes ten minutes to walk to the lake and about the same to the tourist drinking street. My best advise would be to get a map from reception and carry it at all times, this area is like a maze and it is so easy to get lost! This is where the staff really helped us! They marked out any places we were interested in on the map and said that we could call them at any time if we needed to! They were also a great help in organising our Halong Bay tour and transport to Sapa for a reasonable price. The staff, like most people have already said, are really friendly and helpful.
The rooms are small, smell a little mouldy and could do with a face lift, but the main issue was the bed, it was very hard and we got a thin mattress from the hall cupboard to put underneath the sheet! If you like a soft bed this place is a huge NO for you! The internet in the rooms was pretty average but was good in the restaurant.
I would recommend this place for those on a budget who don't mind a REALLY hard bed! Honestly, you don't come to Hanoi to sit in a room and watch TV when there is so much to do and this hotel is a fantastic base to see everything!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed here for four nights with my mother who had a room to herself, my partner who I shared with and my partners parents who had their own room. Each of us had different views being different travelers regarding the hotel.

Let me point out firstly that the accomodation is cheap, $15 a night for a room with a double bed, your own bathroom and a computer with internet access. It is also in the heart of The Old Quater and it is the perfect location to get anywhere in Hanoi. The staff on the reception desk are friendly and helpful and they really do make your stay enjoyable. You get the choice from 6 types of breakfast set menu options and there is a small array of fruit to choose from with tea and coffe available. The people working in the kitchen are surly and not very friendly.

Some of the down sides were that all the beds were uncomfortable. The springs seemed to be pointing out of the beds. I am a very easy sleeper but this was a big concern for everyone else I was travelling with, this would be the main thing that I would make note of. If you have a bad back and need to sleep on a decent mattress this is proberly not the place for you. My mum and partner had to have a number of drinks the first night to brace themselves to sleep on the matress.

You also need to be aware that some of the rooms for $15 do not have windows, and the room on floor 6 smells like mould and the bathroom roof is caving in a bit. I noticed other people have noted the same about floor 6 at this hotel. Again, if you are on a budget and travelling cheap this proberly won't bother you too much. I was holidaying so we upgraded to the $20 room and let me tell you it was a vast improvement. The room was alot bigger and there was a window which made you feel like there was a great deal more breathing space. I would highly advise getting the $20, it make a massive difference.

PS. We booked a tour to Ha Long Bay with this Hotel, the $80 two days on night tour. I could not recommend it highly enough and I was extremely sceptical about booking a tour of any description. It gets a 10/10 in my opinion!!

PPS. Some additional trips for tasting the local beer, downstairs on the corner they have a little cafe that has delicious henikin beer on tap for 30dong in a small glass. Across the road you will see a very popular bar with big glasses of beer for 20dong. The taste isn't is good in my opinion, but hey, I'll leave that up to you to determine.

Room Tip: Avoid floor 6. Get a room with a window.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank allstaralish
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We only spent one night in this hotel, but if we were to come back to Hanoi, we'd stay there again, the location is very good, and the staff was very helpful and attentive. The room was clean, and even though the window was right over the street, it wasn't noisy.

We had to leave early to the airport, and the staff was kind enough to organise a lift and pack us a breakfast, nice touch.

Overall very good experience. Not a good choice for disable people though, as there is no lift.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple