“Best place I stayed at on my year long trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hanoi Serenity Hotel

Hanoi Serenity Hotel
Ranked #70 of 557 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Canada
“Best place I stayed at on my year long trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

I could write about how nice it was, how clean, what a great value (wifi, internet, good breakfast) but what makes this place so exceptional is the service and staff. All the staff here were genuinely pleased to serve you, without any monetary expectation. The hotel manager helped us out a lot, made arrangements for us. I think the shining example would be that we were due to be back in Hanoi in the afternoon after a long trip up North and would take the overnight train in the evening. The hotel manager offered to give us a room for one hour to take a hot shower (which we did, at no cost). Even gave us towels and toiletries.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

Geez, I can't believe it's been almost a month since we got back from Vietnam. There are already several new posts on the hotel since my return! We stayed at the Serenity for two nights in late November. The Serenity was the only hotel we booked in advance as we like to travel independently. Since it was our first time in Vietnam, I didn't want to deal with the hoards of taxi vultures at the airport so I arranged for someone from the hotel to pick us up. Believe me, it's well worth the $15 if you're not used to navigating your way through a sea of touts trying to hook you before you set foot outside!

The Serenity manager (Mr. Sun) was very accommodating. The basic, twin room we shared was at the back of the hotel so was quieter than the street facing rooms. I highly recommend bringing ear plugs to Vietnam (if you're a light sleeper) as noise is prevalent everywhere at all hours of the night.

Sun helped us book our trip to Halong Bay on the Hanoi Opera junk. He made sure that my vegetarian friend was taken care of. We were originally going to book with the Kangaroo Cafe. The Hanoi Opera was only $10 more and included both kayaking and a hike up Titov as well as visit to Surprise Cave. Kangaroo offered either kayaking with cave or the hike with cave. You had to chose one option - couldn't do both.

The bus trip to Halong takes about 4 hrs - the scenery between Halong and Hanoi is rather ugly and didn't give a good impression of the country. Fortunately, the Hanoi Opera experience exceeded our expectations. The young Vietnamese guide (can't remember his name) who accompanied us was professional and knowledgeable. He knew when to guide and when to step back and let us do our own thing. I hope he is well taken care of by the company. The food was great and entertainment was provided in the form of cooking class and tai chi !! They also provided a movie for night time activity as well as night fishing. The weather in late November was fantastic. It was warm and sunny but not too hot/humid. The water is quite cold for swimming at this time of the year so not recommended unless you're immune to that sort of thing. When we got back from our trip, Sun let us shower in one of the rooms so we could freshen up before our trip to Sapa (that's another review).

I had a great time in Vietnam and will add additional reviews for some of the other places we visited. I'll also post some photos of the Halong trip. One thing to note, the hotel operators can be quite persistent in helping you book all your trips in the country. Since we like to travel independently, we had to be firm in our plans (i.e. self booking rail trips, hotel, etc) otherwise we would have ended up having our whole trip organized by someone else.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
ecoker
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

I've just finished a month long stay in Hanoi at the Serenity hotel. This hotel has made my stay comfortable and enjoyable. The rooms are modern, spacious, very clean and well equipped. They are much welcoming than the typical dark wood/formal decor of many of the hotels in hanoi.
The staff were of great help and assistance, recommending food, shopping and travel. They even went out of their way to help us celebrate the festive season!!
The breakfast is wonderful and provides a lot of choice.
Overall, this is a wonderful cheap hotel. Of course Hanoi is noisy, the showers are different from our western style and water pressure isn't perfect- but that's the beauty of Hanoi!!

• Stayed December 2009
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

I have just finished working Vietnam for month. I stayed in two 5 star hotels and several rustic, rural, joints. I extended my official trip with a few days exploring the Hanoi Old Quarter and some friends recommended the Serenity.

It was perfect! An extremely clean, basic hotel on a quieter street right in the Old Quarter. Mr Son, the manager was extremely helpful, including storing my luggage while I took a one night tour to Ha Long Bay. He also recommended the Hanoi Opera for this cruise and it too was fantastic.

I recommend the Serenity for professionals on vacation and backapackers alike.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Godalming Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2009

This is an excellent value for money hotel situated in walking distance of old Hanoi and its charming bustle. Son and his wonderful team were unfailingly supportive, helpful, honest and reliable. They were always there to provide information, organise high quality trips and visits - all with a friendly smile. Nothing - however small - was too much bother for them. The trip to Halong Bay and Cat Ba they set up for us was a real highlight of our holiday.

The rooms were clean, WiFi reliable, breakfasts simple but adequate and we found it impossible to carry our own bags up the steep stairs due to the vigilance of the staff team!

This was our first visit to Vietnam and the family atmosphere at the Serenity Hotel provided an ideal base for our memorable 4 nights in Hanoi. We will be back....

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2009

I stayed at this hotel for just one night when traveling through Hanoi. I booked it because of the great reviews on trip advisor.

My friend and I arrived in the morning and while our room wasn’t yet ready they offered a room for us to shower in as well as breakfast. They have coffee and tea throughout the day and breakfast from 7:00am-11:30am. I got the banana pancake (which was more like a banana roll) but very good. They also have egg dishes available.

The free internet was great. We first used the two computers downstairs. the left computer had a bad keyboard (space bar doesn’t always work) but is connected to the free printer. The right computer has a great keyboard but isn’t connected to the computer.

We booked a double room on the 3rd floor (yes, there are a lot of stairs) and it was beautiful. Very clean and a mini refrigerator, computer and bathtub all in the room!

We then asked for a cab to the Ho Chi Minh Museum and the hotel called one for us. We asked about how much it should cost (she said 50,000VND) but when we arrived at the museum the meter said 27,000VND. The taxi driver quickly shut off the meter as we handed him 30,000VND and he demanded 50,000VND. We told him the meter said 27,000VND and he just laughed as we got out. I have no idea if this was a scam or the hotel really thought it should cost 50,000VND, but something to watch out for.

One complaint was we never had hot water. It wasn’t freezing, but definitely was never hot (we took showers at different times of the day as well).

We took a trip to Halong Bay and when we returned they offered us a room to shower and a menu to get dinner (I think they ordered it from another hotel). The meal was excellent and then we took their hotel car back to the airport (prebooked for $15). Our flight left at 7:00pm and she kept saying we should leave at 5:00pm. This made me a little nervous and I explained rush hour but she said it was fine and she would call the drive at 5:00pm. However, at 5:30 we were stuck in traffic (people were waiting out of their cars). I think it might have been an accident, but our driver was on the phone with the hotel to get us motorbikes. Long story short, the hotel called motorbikes to take us to the airport and we literally made it JUST in time.

It is THAT kind of service that I really appreciate. I am sure it cost them more to do this..but that service is what the hotel is all about. I really would recommend this hotel to ANYONE (just ask for the lowest room).

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lovetotravel352
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2009

I stayed at the Serenity Hotel for three weeks and highly recommend it. The staff were helpful and friendly - they even invited me to one of their staff evening meals - and helpful and the rooms were clean. There's no extra charge for the cooked breakfast or the tea and Vietnamese filter coffee throughout the day. The room had its own bathroom, bar fridge and cable TV. The only drawback was the intermittant wifi connection in my room. There are also many stairs and no lift, but that's pretty standard in Hanoi. The location is also on the edge of Hanoi's old quarter, so slightly off the beaten tourist track - which can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your point of view. I have already recommended the hotel to friends.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business