“Better options available”

Hong Ngoc Cochinchine
Ranked #180 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
“Better options available”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on an Intrepid tour, so had no choice. I think the hotel does quite well on the tour trade. And I think they've become complacent. The staff weren't unfriendly, but they weren't enthusiastic, either.

The beds aren't comfortable at all - they are just slabs of foam. I thought it might be a Vietnamese thing, but other hotels aren't like this.

The showers are ridiculous. The nozzle sprays water in every direction but the one you're standing, and the design of bath you're standing in means the bathroom floods with water.

The location isn't too bad, but it depends on the scene you're looking for. Our cooking school was nearby, which was convenient. And from the minute you step outside the door, you're in the thick of Hanoi. I personally loved the atmosphere of the surrounding area. Its busy, noisy and authentic. To cross the road, just close your eyes and walk. I'm not kidding... It works.

Used the "gym" which consisted of a reasonable treadmill, a cross trainer and a exercycle from 1981. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to fill up the spa pool. If you want steam room or a sauna, boil your jug and stand over it. Both of these rooms were full of junk and unusable.

Breakfast was good. Remember to ask for eggs. Better yet, leave the hotel and sample a local Pho Bo... They are absolutely delicious and a hearty breakfast.

Will not be returning to this hotel. Ever.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ren H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Picton, NSW
Reviewed 6 April 2014

It's long but descriptive for those needing to know more. This hotel is not horrible by any means just an average stay for us....it's a 3 star hotel and it's on track.

We stayed here before & during our Intrepid trip. Arrived in the evening and check in was quite fast and easy....were shown to our room and everything about it. He could say a few words in English but when I asked about changing money he did not understand...I felt bad as I had no small AUD notes with me, only $50, and could not give a tip and I don't think he understood.

Had a cold shower, waited a while and still no hot water, and went to bed.

Breakfast, changes slightly each day but the drinks are warm and no water, so bring your own. Don't drink coffee but the tea is a hit or miss, sometimes it's got a lot of sediment in it. With no air conditioning some of the colder foods on display don't stay cold that long....but when the ham is fresh....very nice. They ladies are very helpful and offer if you would like any eggs cooked to your liking. There is some fruit and sweets, would love to see wholemeal bread, but don't think I will see that here in Vietnam. There was enough to keep me generally happy and full though.

The Room....we had a double which was small but to tiny, Other rooms we saw were bigger. Bed was on the hard side but got used to that in time, asked for more pillows and another blanket. A smallish safe is available with instructions on how to use. TV is modern and could hook our media player up, we like to chill out sometimes and watch movies etc. Bathroom toilet blocked a few times, we asked what was the best way to flush and were told to press both buttons....it still blocked up after that but they have no problem coming to plunge it, it's just a bit of a pain as you feel like you are constantly calling reception. They provide a kettle, hairdryer and a few personal items like shampoo, body wash, soap, comb, toothbrush set and a bottle of water each day. The shower for us was not a practical set up, it was over a small bath but I cold not stand under it and I am short, could not sit with my legs straight in the bath either.....you manage...but be careful getting out as it's a big drop down. The good thing is that the shower head is detachable so you can still shower quite well in the end. The rooms have quote nice furnishings.

I could hear a bit of traffic noise but it's Hanoi and it's crazy out there, nothing too bad that kept me up at night.
Our lift was very slow and sometimes not working, walking up 7 flights of stairs is not always a good thing.

I found only a very few staff could speak or have a conversation in English, thankfully the day we were sick the lady at reception was great and helped us out and there is a pharmacy about 5min up the road. There is a Vietnamese style convenient type stall to your left 2 buildings up through a gate....I think the older lady makes up here prices as she goes along....we did pick up a 5L water for 25,000 Dong but 3 days later got 2 1.5L bottle for 22,000 dong.....not going to worry too much about that though. Water is everywhere so no worries there.

As for location.....Besides those westerners on Intrepid stays there are not so many around this part....you are just about the Old Quarter and it's about a 25min walk to the bottom of the old quarter or the top of the lake.....but that time all depends on how you go walking the streets of Hanoi and if you stop and look at things along the way.

For those who use a Citibank Plus account there is an ATM at the bottom of the old quarter if you walk straight down and head towards your left and you will come across it.

If I came back I would choose a hotel closer into the old quarter and depending on my budget I would opt for a swimming pool as there is not too many hotels with them in the city. The hotel is not horrible but just not what I am used to. The staff try and help in any way and do a great job overall.

Sorry one more thing....room service....food was fine but due to the language barrier I did not get what I ordered, which was a beef dish and rice, I got steak & vege?....I ate what I received as I had been unwell and could not go outside....thankfully it was nice. So the next day for lunch we went down and ordered pizza, I got my beef but my husband did not get his Pineapple, he got Vegetarian....the gentleman who served us did not understand anything we were saying when we said it was wrong....normally it would be taken away and replaced....and just stood there....he eventually went to reception and she came over an apologized very politely and we told her the story, she offered 20% discount.....we weren't angry in anyway just that it happened again and vege pizza is not our thing....I guess they do not like to waste things around here which is good but not really the kind of service most provide.

Room Tip: ask for ice at breakfast if you like your juice cold
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nomes_Sydney
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, England
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Started off our Intrepid tour of Vietnam in this Hotel.
Room and bathroom were spacious and clean. Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice.
Staff were exceptionally helpful, especially one lady (Who's name eludes me!) Nothing was too much trouble, getting Taxi's, advice and even helping us understand the confusing currency!
The only downside is, if your room overlooks the road as ours did, it's very noisy with the passing traffic/horn beeping, which starts in the early hours and goes on until very late.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the road, if you want any sleep at night!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This hotel was my first experience of Vietnam. I was here for the start of a tour and booked an extra night prior to the tour. I did have to change rooms, but that was fine. My first room was inside so no window, but that was fine as I had jetlag! My second room had a balcony overlooking the street. You could hear the honking from below, but not so much it disturbed your sleep. Both rooms were clean and well presented. It is in a good location as well, far enough from the main town area, but close enough to walk in if needed. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Cascade, Montana
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Like a breath of fresh air! Clean, comfortable rooms, wonderful restaurant, very nice breakfast buffet with many selections, and great service from the staff, most of whom speak English. This is a very nice place to stay, and the food was so good we ate several meals here instead of going out on the town.

Reasionable rates, too, all this for just $48 US per night for double room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed here because it was the starting point hotel for a tour group. Reasonably priced and very clean, although the rooms are a bit small. The staff at the desk were friendly and helpful. The hotel sent a car for air-port pick-up which was less than half the cost that the tour company was going to charge--good lesson, don't assume that your tour company will give you a good deal on any extras that are not part of the tour! (including any extra nights at the hotel) The breakfast was good, but more limited than in some other places I stayed. They do not make it obvious that you can ask for eggs to order from the kitchen. I would not hesitate to stay here again, although it is a 15 minute walk to the old city, and a taxi ride to many of the other places of interest.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Selangor, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 March 2014

On Feb 20, 2014 morning, my partner and I checked into Hong Ngoc Cochinchine which I had reserved a room. Two staffs were manning the front counter - a man and a woman. They appear to be senior staffs, judging by their looks. The man was really unfriendly, and gruffly. The smile was slight. I know Vietnamese are serious looking people, but the this character has no place on the hospitality industry.

After introducing myself, the woman - who is bespectacled and looks very fair for a Vietnamese - repeated my name, and then repeated my surname twice, while looking at her colleague. The man smiled. I knew the woman intended to insult My name. She asked me to take a seat while she processed my reservation. After a while, she gestured for me to come and simply said " Come Here".

It is just these two staffs who are rude. The others were good. However, my impression of the Hong Ngoc Group of Hotels will remain negative after this encounter. Thank goodness we stayed there for only a night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple