“Booked two nights, stayed for a week!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Drift Backpackers Hostel

The Drift Backpackers Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanoi
The Drift Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #147 of 334 Speciality Lodging in Hanoi
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
“Booked two nights, stayed for a week!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

I was a first time backpacker and The Drift was our first stop in Vietnam. We booked ahead online and they arranged a taxi for us to pick us up at the airport which was great. Even at 3am we got the warmest welcome in the world from Alicia and I knew we were on to a winner.

Dorm rooms were a good size and had loads of space for you pack and bits and bobs. Air conditioning was amazing as a lot of other hostels dont have/are stingy with it. Clean sheets and towels everyday and a clean bathroom which actually has space for you to get changed in. I agree the beaded curtain thing was annoying but I dont really care. Movie room was wicked, spent a lot of time in there when should have actually been out and about seeing Hanoi but what can you do when you're in good company. Free high speed internet and loads of PCs meant we were able to plan the next leg of our trip easily and the staff were great at offering honest advice. I didn't feel pressured or lead on at all.

Breakfast was a bit rubbish but we'd brough our own Veggimite! so we were happy - and what can you expect really for that price?! The food in the cafe, particularly the burgers were amazing and you could ring orders through from the movie room and have it brought up - luxury!! Didnt really spend a lot of time in the bar because there wasnt any air con up there and I just boiled alive but everyone up there was super friendly when I did make it up there - thank god for the lift!

WE'd only planned to stay for 2 nights but ended up staying a whole week cuz we were enjoying it so much. Only down side for me was I thought it was a bit too far away from the main sights and old town - but then I'm a lazy backpacker!!

Basically I thought it was the best hostel I stayed in for the whole trip and i did Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. And so I think that's praise enough. Well done ladies!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2010

It was so clean and felt so upper class for a hostel, the team there were amazing and friendly, meals were great and cheap i felt like i was staying at afriends awesome place rather then a hostel. I loved the Mangager tiff, she was really lovely to my boyfriend and i, made us feel at home as weel as all the other staff who were just as lovely. It was so clean and the room were amazingly kept for a hostel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

The service was for the most-part friendly, although I was rather rudely treated by one particular receptionist - but he was gone the next week!
The room was clean and tidy and having the toilets right there (also clean) is cool.
The common-room is cool and there are plenty of computers there and in the reception area, that you don't have to wait.
The location is a bit out of the central Backpackers area, but that's actually nice. You get hassled by the locals far less! :-)

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

Friend and I stayed at the Drift when we arrived in Vietnam. The dorms are clean and tidy withh clean linen and towels and as a bathroom afor a backapckers they were great! Nice and clean. The Drift had a n elavator and would organise everything for you if needed. Cant help but feel that the staff tried to rip us off more times than we could count. The bar that they advertsie on their website has been closed down for noise restrictions as the hostel is located down a quiet street. So there is no bar which was dissapointing. It is also about a 15-18 minute walk to the old quarter.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

Me and my wife went on a trip to hanoi and halong bay in Dec 2009 and booked with them... A bunk for 5 $ seemed quier reasonable to us... They picked us up with a cabbie from the airport and that was cool.. The price also seemed to be reasonable for 1st timers as otherwise you will be ripped for sure.... The hostel is 15 minutes walking from hoan kiem lake and i would say the location is not much of an issue...but maybe people who want to get the feel of the old quarters should stay somewhere nearer to the lake... We were given nice bunks..the bed was very clean and comfortable... The aircon was not very good..the bathroom was spotless clean... i accept the beaded curtain was a pain for sure.... They did try to sell you their tour but i dont see anything wrong in it as long as you know what you wanna do.... They were very helpful to me when i needed some currency exchange and offered good rates... The door locking problem was with us also.... but as all our stuff was secured in the lockers so we didnt worry much. We arrived on the christmas eve and there was a crazy party on the rooftop which was quiet enjoyable..... The breakfast offered with the room was just bread and banana... The reception gals were very friendly and spoke good english apart from one local chap who i found in the night was very grumpy and arrogant.... i think it is quiet suitable if you wanna stay as a backpacker.....

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

The hostel didn't live up to the reviews or rating on hostel world. This was the first stop on our trip so we thought maybe our expectations had been too high but all of the other hostels we've stayed at have been much better. The rooms were clean and comfortable although a bead curtain into a shared bathroom isn't the most practical when people get up at different times. The hostel was noisy till late, great if you're partying but not so good if you need to get up early. The cafe area was really quite dirty and didn't look like it had been cleaned properly for a while, the sugar pots, dishes etc weren't exactly clean. The door to our dorm didn't close. Alrthough teh staff were friendly they were also quite pushy to sell tours and get us to stay longer. I'd try another hostel if I go back to Hanoi.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
driftadmin, Owner at The Drift Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, 8 February 2010
Dear Sedfive,

Firstly I would like to express not only our surprise but our dissapointment to read your review on our hostel and the fact we potentially have a dissatisfied customer.

We have had nothing but good feedback from our guests since we opened 6 months ago and do our best to keep our hostel in perfect order.
Of course as much as we try we cannot be 100% perfect and our highest focus is our guests happiness and satisfaction.
I'm sure we met during your stay at the hostel as we have personal contact with all our guests and I do wish you had of shared these comments with me at the time of your stay. so I could understand a little more.

In relation to your comment regarding our staff pushing tours, I would like to explain a little on the background of our staff. Within Vietnam if you cannot speak, read and write English you unfortunatly do not obtain a job as a receptionist or any position like this, which in VN is classified quite high in the work force status. We are different and we like to give opportunities to young people as a way to get them into the workforce and obtain higher skills as most cannot afford the schooling to improve themselves. Due to this our staff are very passionate when speaking to customers to learn and improve, so they can come across quite eager to sell or when giving advise, however this is just there excitement and high energy as they love what they are doing.
My apologies in regards to the doors, during your stay as this was the first few days of warm weather we have had since we opened the hostel. Due to the heat the doors expanded, which eventuated into non closure, this has since been rectified.
Sure I agree the cafe can look a little crazy at times as during peak dinner time we run about trying to keep the cafe clean and in order and for an hour or so it can get a little messy , i assure you though hygiene is a focus of ours as well.
As far as noise, unfortunatly it is a hostel and we do try to keep the levels of noise down after 11pm of an evening for both guests and locals within the area.
I hope you can appreciate our comments and reconsider if you were to visit Hanoi again.
Regards
Tifani Meagher
yayorc
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2009

Yeah its a clean western style hostel in a city that's everything but...but the staff here are a bunch of con artists. Lockers that use only a type of lock they sell, over priced Ha Long Bay & Sapa tours, a terrible breakfast, and a staff with little knowledge of the city. I bought a first class express train ticket from them for 630K dong and showed up at the station to be handed a local train ticket for 450K dong.

While conveniently located a 5 minute walk from Hoan Kiem Lake, they tell you everything is 30 minutes away and to use a taxi service, for which they pick up a fee. Use them for the beds, and nothing else.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo