“Extremely helpful, very friendly”

Hanoi Charming Hotel
Ranked #124 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 5 August 2009

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 August 2009

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Reviewed 28 July 2009

Good staff, good service, good cleanliness and good breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2009

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank vistorvaldes
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Ok. Seems like you guys had a good experience with this hotel, but not for me. I tried this hotel twice. At the first time, I booked a room in advance by email. When I arrived, a staff showed me a room with a not-working air-con. I said, I want to change a room. The staff told me that a room will be available later that day. Since I and my girlfriend had a meeting, we left our luggage and, came back to hotel at night. However, when I asked to check in, a new staff, one in night, said, all rooms were occupied because a traveler didn't check out, due to her illness. What a good excuse! Then, a staff and the owner asked me to stay one night at another hotel. If it worked, they would prepare a room for us next day. I was upset but agreed. The hotel was, however, a guest house right in front of this hotel. A room on top of the building was offered. Well, the room is definitely a $10 room everywhere in the old quarter. I couldn't stay in that room with my girl friend. When I said this to them, the staff introduced a "family hotel" on Hang Manh Street to us, adding that the room is in fact more expensive than I would stay in Hanoi Charming Hotel but they were willing to offer it at the same price. Well, I agreed and even thanked to the staff. However, this time, a hot water machine in the bathroom didn't work. And, when I complained, the "family hotel staff" replied, "just one night! Sorry." I got really furious. I went back to Charming hotel and told the staff the situation, and the "generous" staff said, "Now, we can find a hotel for you ,but the price will be higher because the other hotels around here don't have relationship with us." Our night time was completely ruined and we were tired of this kind of thing. Then, finally, I moved to one of my "familiar" hotel around the midnight. At that night, I was really angry but the "generous" staff was somehow excusable.

The second story. About a week ago, we were in Hue and our flight was delayed. I was afraid that we might arrive at the airport too late. So, I'd like to make a reservation through the phone. "Unfortunately," the number of this hotel was stored in my phone. So, I called and asked the staff whether a room would be available for us this time. The staff immediately said, "Sure!"
Then, the same story was reiterated. When we arrived at the hotel, the staff said "no vacancy for Charming Hotel" but once again, a room available at "the family hotel." It was almost around the mid night, so we couldn't help following the staff once again. The room at it's family hotel was on the fifth floor without an elevator. Wifi didn't work, although the problem was finally dismissed with improvising the cable connection an hour later. The room was small and smelly by the way.

We were exhausted and, then just decided to stay a night there.
In the morning, once again, the family hotel offered a great breakfast arguing by charging me a lot more than what Charming Hotel promised.
The case was dismissed after I got crazy with the receptionist.
What a great experience, huh?

I've stayed many hotels in the old quarter since 2005. In fact, I just wanted to try a new place with good reviews.
Anyway, this horror is very very unique since this hotel is recommended by the Trip Advisor with good reviews and I gave it a shot twice.

There are many "good" hotels in the old quarter these days, guys.
Absolutely, I don't like this old style of the old quarter business at all.
Good luck, happy travelers!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
13  Thank KinhVanHoa
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We were very happy with our stay at the Hotel Charming. It is on a side street, but very central to everything in the Old Quarter / Hoan Kiem district. The staff are very friendly and polite. They made us feel very comfortable there, and handled any concerns quickly and efficiently. My son enjoyed eating breakfast at the hotel, and made friends with all of the staff. There are many good shops on the street to buy fruit, baked goods, etc. - and bring your tailoring - there is an excellent shop right next door! Anyone interested in going on a tour can book one right there at the hotel.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a good value for their money. This hotel had everything that you would get at a much more expensive one, with the personal touch as well!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business