“Very good and cheap!”

Ranked #94 of 585 Hotels in Hanoi
Hong Kong, China
“Very good and cheap!”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We stayed there for 3 days, and it was very nice, specially if you take Into account the rates. I usually stay in excellent 5 star hotels, but I think when you will spend most of your day out enjoying the city and doing the sightseeings, it doesn't make sense to pay too much for a clean and comfortable room where you will spend just a couple of hours sleeping at night, and this is exactly the case here. The hotel is very clean and organised, rooms are comfortable and quiet, without luxury. Breakfast is good as well and the meals at the restaurant are good value. The location is not that good, but as we hired a local guide with a car at the lobby, it didn't cause us any trouble.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jackie_HK
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear Jackie_HK,

Thank you very much for your nice comment, I'me very glad to read that your stay was comfortable, relaxing, cozy and that the staff was well organized.
This is exactly what the Mercure brand is about: cozyness, authenticity, simplicity.

We are located in the city center, even though at the limit, we are at 15min walk to the hoan kiem lake and the 36-streets old quarter or the Opera house. The good side of this location is that you can get fast to the old quarter and its frienzied atmosphere while resting in comfortable and calm rooms.

I hope your experience with us will make you choose one of our 700 hotels around the world for your next trip.
best regards,
Vincent Delsol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Guilin, China
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Not-so-centerally-located, not-so-large-scale, graceful and elegent in its own way. Very good sound-proof and nice breakfast, especially the bacon. One thing is they don't offer free Wifi, charges like 15USD for a day. All in all, I could recommand it as a cozy first night in noisy Hanoi.

Room Tip: Extra bed for a twin room is very small. Windows of some rooms cannot be opened.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank peggielv
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Dear faithfulpeggie,

Thank you for your sharing your experience with us.

I'm very happy to read that you had a good moment with us, that the soundproof of our rooms and the breakfast pleased you. We are improving our offer every day. For example, tomorrow morning we'll have home-made banana and chocolate muffins.

For the WIFI, I'm puzzled as, since the 1st of august 2012, it is free of charge and before that we were charging 5USD per 24hours. Could you contact me in person in order for me to understand this piece of information?

regards,
Vincent Delsol
Reviewed 26 September 2012

This is a typical Mercure hotel with very pleasant staff. The rooms are comfortable, particularly the beds. The bathroom is very clean with a full range of toiletries provided. The rooms are spotless and the sheets and towels provided are good quality. It is very well located, close to some fantastic restaurants, the Temple of Literature and the old quarter. there is free wifi and a wide range of TV channels.

How could it improve? The gym is tiny with no treadmill, the breakfast is pretty average though the pho is nice. The bathrooms are an odd design so that the floor gets wet after every shower. But these are all trifling matters, overall it is a good priced, safe, clean and well located hotel with good staff. Recommended.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 24 September 2012

super comfortable bed, helpful staff and a great breakfast. Central but quiet . The restaurant was nice too and I would recommend this as a convenient and comfortable place to stay. hard to find a convenience store close by though and most taxi drivers had no idea where it was so carry a map or card with the address at all times

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Hanoi
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We chose to stay here due to its location to the train station and we used the hotel as a base, staying here 3 nights over a week period.
The rooms where very clean and bed comfortable, with everything you needed provided.
The staff where very friendly and helpful,providing good local information, an asset to the hotel.
We stored cases here will we headed off to Sa Pa and had a great welcome on our return.
Good breakfast and bar.
Free Internet in the lobby and restaurant, with computers available to use also.
The hotel has a Citibank ATM outside which allows larger amount withdrawals than most.
Would recommend and use this hotel again, thanks

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I was in april 2011. It is a nice clean and confortable hotel in the right quartier in Hanoi. Viet Nm is cheap, so take a atxi to the center is cheap. Even walking is close.
I should recomand this hotel to everybody

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank barcelonian b
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I booked a reservation in this hotel because it was nice located and because it should somehow respect the standards of a world-known franchise. Experience was less than average, for the price I paid: room was tiny, rug was worn and stained and it felt that it was not maintained.

One day they left window open and the rug was very wet. We asked for slippers, and they told us that they were meant only for superior categories. And our rug was wet! - so we had to wear shoes at the room.

I know I reserved a single room with the simplest category, but I did so in 5 more hotels in the rest of the trip, which were cheaper and in bigger cities and no problem. So that's why the 2 stars.

The hotel building looks very nice, it's indeed well located, but it couldn't cost $100 / night. It's a $50 at most.

Room Tip: Ask for superior categories' room - I didn't try it, but the standard one is lousy
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Guz V
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Dear Sir

First of all, I'd like to apologize as your stay didn't meet your expectations.

Our standard rooms are between 20 and 22 sqm which is average for a main city center hotel. As per Mercure worldwide standards, yes the slippers are free of charge in the superior and deluxe rooms. In the standard rooms they are chargeable and provided upon request.

Then, I'm confused. Our windows are locked for security and legal reasons.
They are unlocked by the housekeeping department for only 2 reasons : either of course to the request of the guest, or to remove the smell of cigarette. Then this action is recorded by our security team and controlled in case it would rain and the windows are closed after 1 hour.

It looks like this wasn't the case and on top of that your rug was worn out.
It would really help me if you could contact me as I've been in the hotel for 3 months, went to most of the rooms and didn't yet see such a problem.
The hotel has been opened in September 2009, almost 3 years ago, and I can assure you that this would be the single case, which, again, I apologize for.

I would be greatful if you could send me your name and date of stay or room number for me to investigate further.

I'll have a status as well with the front office department who is in charge every morning to report all issues which have been reported by the guest in the past 24hours. Taking into account the discomfort you have experienced, you have surely done so or filled in the online survey which is automatically sent after all departures to our guest.

As a member of Mercure and Accor, I take very seriously your comment and will try my best to identify and solve this problem.

I thank you for the time you took to warn me about this issue.
Best regards,