“Decent value for money business hotel, lacking some facilities”

Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel
Ranked #99 of 597 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have stayed a number of times at the Mercure in Hanoi - which is in a good location near the centre of the city.

It is a relatively small hotel (8 floors of rooms) and as a consequence, tends to get full quickly. Due to the price point, it is also very popular with tour groups - which can over-run the hotel at either check-in / check-out and / or breakfast times. On a prior stay, due to many guests checking out at the one time, I waited what would have been 10 minutes for a lift.

Rooms are small, but well equipped, with very comfortable beds (they do not have ironing facilities within the room, which can be an issue when you arrive late and need to go to the office first thing the next morning). Food / restaurant is quite good, and very reasonably priced, although for breakfast, it pays to check if there are any tour groups in the hotel and what time they will depart. Gym is very basic and sub-standard.

The hotel does the job for a night or two (especially at the price point), but lacks the facilities to appeal for longer stays. The location means that space is at a premium, but it the hotel had better facilities (especially a more complete or modern gym), I would stay there more often.

Room Tip: Rooms on the railway side can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Matt G

Reviewed 6 May 2014

A modern, clean, comfortable hotel with friendly and efficient staff made for a very enjoyable stay. The rooms are a good size and well equipped. Free wi-fi that worked well. Good location. It’s a little walk to the old town but that wasn’t a problem for me as I enjoyed the walk and at night it’s only a short cab ride back. I’d definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2014

When I arrived, the receptionist said my booking was bluntly cancelled by reservation department. The fact is, I missed the email that they sent me over within a day (less than 24 hours) before my stay, asking me if I am coming because they couldn't charge my credit card. They should have asked me much earlier as my booking was made and confirmed a month ago. (You don't expect me checking email through out the day during holiday, right?) As their hotel was full, they just asked me to book another hotel at first without any giving any help. After a long argument, they finally agreed to relocate us to Pullman. Time wasted.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alfred_NG_119
MercureHanoiLaGareGM, General Manager at Mercure Hanoi La Gare Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Alfred_NG119,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I'm very sorry that your reservation was canceled.
After investigation, it seems your reservation was canceled as per the terms and conditions of the rate you've booked.
Even though these terms and conditions allow us to cancel the bookings automatically without further notice, we always contact our guests one day in advance to support and assist, all the more during high occupancy periods.

I take into consideration your comment and will review with the team the explanation provided for guests who don't have time to read their emails 24h before arriving.

Let me apologize again for this poor experience with us and I'm happy that a solution was found within Accor hotels in Hanoi.

best regards,
Vincent Delsol

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked the hotel for a day use after Jetstar delayed my flight in 8h. Although I didn't actually sleep there, I found the room quite comfortable and adequate. Location is really good, close to the old quarter and walking distance to many nice restaurants. The only issue was the bathroom not being clean when I had already checked-in into my room.
Nice option for the budget traveller!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This hotel was part of the package tour we purchased in Australia and we were impressed from check-in with the friendly and helpful staff. Extremely attentive to our needs, efficiently exchanged currency for us and we were delighted to have the "best" room in the hotel. Recommendations for dinning were spot on and we enjoyed the free wine tasting which is held on the last Wednesday of each month. The hotel is in easy walking distance to the famous "eat street", the railway station and about 15 minutes walk to the Old Quarter or a short and cheap taxi ride.

Room Tip: Stayed in three different rooms - all were good and quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear MittatongWinos,

I'd like to thank you for your very nice comment about the room, the staff and the quality of the food.
Your recommandations are very accurate and give some good tips to future guests.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again in a Mercure Hotel.
best regards,
Vincent Delsol

Reviewed 23 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed over Easter on way to Halong Bay. Great hotel, lovely staff and good breakfast. No complaints and the tour desk lady is fantastic. It has a good enough gym and the bar is nice. Would stay here again next time. Wifi was good too.

• Stayed: April 2014