“Great fun for a morning.”

Blue Butterfly Cooking Class
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Surabaya, Indonesia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great fun for a morning.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I have just finished a cooking class with Mr Tinh at the Blue Butterfly. I was very lucky in that there was just me in the group. I had a very interesting trip to the market trying out different fruits and looking at what's on offer. We then went back to the restaurant for the preparation. His Chef was really good and very patient. Mr Tinh helped with translating. Overall it was a really interesting morning and I look forward to trying out the recipes back home.
It's $35 and Mr Tinh can be contacted on 0912575489.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
“Great way to experience Vietnamese culture and food:)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

If you are in Hanoi, wanting somthing meaningful to fill your days, this is definatley a must do. The class started with a visit to the market area, where i got to taste a lot of different fruits, vegetables and meats, as well as learn about the vietnamese culture. Even got to cut my own papaya and carrot with help from a old lady.

Afterwards we used the rest of the afternoon in the kitchen, making some amazing vietnamese food. I had a own chef showing me chopping tricks, and letting me join in on the preparing of 3 dishes, which i got to enjoy at the end of the class.

All in all an amazing afternoon with a nice crew and really good food. I would warmly recommend this cookingsentre with Mr. Tinh, to everybody who loves the vietnamese food and want to figure out where it comes from :)

orlando florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great afternoon cooking and eating Vietnamese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

My wife and I, visiting from Florida, enjoyed a fun afternoon cooking and then eating a very good typical Vietnamese meal of Hanoi fried spring rolls, fresh mango salad, and stir fried fish and vegetables. First a walking visit to the large nearby market, with explanations of food and interesting tasting of local favorites. Then return to a nice kitchen scene with hands on preparation of the meal from start to finish. Nice demonstrations of decorating the plates as well as preparation of all aspects of the meal. Mr. Tinh, the manager, assisted the chef in guiding us throughout.(mobile 0912575489). With completion, we sat down to a very large, beautiful meal that we had personally prepared. One of our best days in Hanoi. Actually, only spent the morning and after lunch had time to further explore the city. MRRGATOR

Visited May 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun cooking class w/ market trip included”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We recently booked the course with Mr Tinh and had a great time.

Having booked the night before we were picked up from our hotel.

First stop were the local markets where we taught how to source ingredients and got to try a few local delicacies that you might not sure brave enough to try without a guide.

Then came the cooking class. The teaching was great, the process fun and the dishes were delicious.

The class was a great way of experiencing the local markets and Vietnamese in good company.

Visited April 2014
Perth, Australia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“A must-have experience in Hanoi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had been hanging out to have a Vietnamese cooking class while we were here in Vietnam and chose Blue Butterfly because of the great ratings on tripadivsor. They're all true! My daughters and I enjoyed a really fabulous time under the guidance of Tinh and his chef.
The trip to the markets was both an eye-opener and a great learning experience....and broke a few barriers for us too (I quote Tinh, "if you don't try, you never know!!!"), the tutoring through the course was patient and clear, and the food at the end, fabulous (if we say so ourselves!!). We LOVED learning how to make carrot flowers and really appreciated the recipes and our certificates at the end were a really great touch. The easiest way to book is to ring Tinh direct on 0912 575 489.
Oh, and I should have said...both Tinh and his chef were incredibly generous with their time - the 3.5 hour course stretched to 5.5 hours and Tinh even organised some knives for us that we were keen to purchase. We couldn't have been happier.

Visited April 2014