“Absolutely wonderful - one of my favorite Starwood properties”

Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #87 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have just returned from an absolutely fantastic 5 day stay at the Sheraton Hanoi. This is my second time here in 2 years.

I am an SPG Platinum member. and where possible I try and choose a Starwood property. This is one of my favorite Starwood hotels. The hotel is very nice, great location and the staff (agree 100% with the last review) are fantastic. They really go out of their way to make you stay pleasant.

The location is great, by the lake, and about 5 km's from the centre of town (100,000 VND - US$5). The location is 10/10 as you really don't want to stay right in the centre. 5 minutes form town is perfect. Some great places and terrific restaurants to explore around the vicinity of the hotel too.

The taxis operating from the hotel are great and all sanctioned by the hotel so they will always use the meter. You will not get ripped off by the taxis operating from the hotel.

I HIGHLY recommend staying on the club floor overlooking the lake. As far as hotel club floors go, this one is fantastic. On level 17 overlooking the lake. From 5.30pm to 8pm they have snacks and complimentary alcoholic drinks.

Rooms are very nice and well appointed. Really ticks all the boxes for me and will definitely be heading back next year for my third stay.

As I stated the staff are absolutely wonderful. A big shout out to the club floor manager Miss. Quyen and her amazing team. I also had to send some documents express to a client in Ho Chi Minh city and this was all take care of by the Guest Services manager Ngoc Phung who follow it all up for me.

Wonderful, wonderful and wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thespgtraveler
tetsish, General Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear “richfromoz”
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review.
We are extremely pleased that you choose to stay with us and our best reward was that you had a very enjoyable time!
Your kind comments are greatly appreciated. It’s also great to read that you liked our fantastic location and enjoyed the Club Floor benefits. Our culinary team work hard to ensure a high standard. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerned especially the Club Floor Manager, Guest Service Manager and their teams.
Again, many thanks for your valuable feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back to Sheraton Hanoi Hotel in the near future.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Sheraton Hanoi completely impressed me with an amazing hospitality. I had one night stay on November 8th, not as a planned trip but an improvised solution after realizing that my passport and wallet were all gone on the flight from Saigon to Hanoi (I was about to take flight back to Beijing, which was not possible without a passport!) Without any penny in the pocket and any acquaintance in the city, I took a taxi from airport with no clue on how to pay it. I told taxi driver please bring me to whatever SPG hotel (while Sheraton is the first name to pop up in my brain), we arrived in this lake-side Vietnamese resort in half 40 minutes. I get the taxi paid and a guaranteed room within five minutes (after showing my passport photocopy and asking to pay on-line later), which I expect to take at least half an hour!! Even if in my home-country, I couldn’t imagine to get trusted and helped that fast!! I was positively surprised not only by the manager’s extremely warm and nice manner in treating me, but also her professionalism and elegant English. After staying in at least 10 Sheraton hotels in Asia, Germany and US, the Hanoi one definitely gave me the best guest experience! Top room quality and breakfast, ideal location and world-class staff!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank yifan_wang

Dear "yifan_wang",

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.

It is a pleasure to hear that you had such a memorable experience and how impressed you were with our staffs. We strive to ensure our guests had a comfortable stay and to receive feedback such as yours is very reassuring and motivating.
Many thanks for writing this review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I found my stay enjoyable at the Sheraton Hanoi and looked forward to returning there of an evening after a day's sight seeing. The décor quite elegant with a lovely room with great views of West Lake. A beautiful large bathroom with a separate shower and good sized bath. The bed was incredibly comfortable. Very slow and at times frustrating free internet access in the foyer. Breakfast was vey good with a large selection to cater for a large range of tastes. Most of the hotel staff spoke English and were very friendly and helpful. About $5 for a taxi to the Old Quarter and I recommend you use Taxi Group Hanoi Taxis which I found reasonably clean and reliable. There are places near the hotel to eat and shops to buy water, coca cola, alcohol and snacks. I advise you not to wear jewellery when you venture out as my friend was attacked by a man on a motor bike who ripped her necklace from her neck. There are security guards on duty on the premises of an evening at the front of the hotel. There is a shuttle bus into the city with a very friendly driver.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a views of the Lake
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Agro_Sydney

Dear “Agro_Sydney”,

Thank you for posting a review of the Sheraton Hanoi on tripadvisor.com. Your comments about our hotel are much appreciated through this forum. It's wonferful to know that you liked our decor and you did really enjoy our breakfast selection. It's also pleased to know you impressed by our staffs especially the security gard and friendly driver.Thank you for your positive feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Sheraton Hanoi Hotel in the near future for a nice .

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed a few nights in this hotel and we were happy with our experience, a couple of nights before our trip to Ha Long Bay and again upon our return. The rooms we were in had beautiful views of West Lake.
The rooms were a little dated but charming. They were impeccably clean. Our shower did flood the bathroom. I reported it to the lady cleaning the room but there was difficulty explaining the issue as she did not speak English. The beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept in...the rooms were private and quiet.
The breakfasts were great, with an abundance of choice, the staff were more than happy to make latte and cuppacino coffees upon request.
The hotel offers free wifi in the foyer or there is an option to pay for Internet in the rooms. The internet in the foyer was slow and erratic.
There were some nice places to eat within a 7 mins walk of the hotel and lots of places where you can purchase coke or water or beer should you need.
The hotel has security guards at its entrance. We went on a walk after checking in and a man on a motor bike attacked me from behind and tried to steal a chain I was wearing. Reported it to the hotel staff who were empathetic but beware....
The hotel has a pool which is nice but not easily accessible.
Reception staff were lovely and it was nice to come back to the hotel after hectic expeditions in Hanoi.
No real complaints about this hotel except its a $5 cab fare into Hanoi but given the traffic it's a good investment.
The hotel offers a free shuttle bus into Hanoi....the bus driver was lovely and helpful and pointed out various attractions along our way.

Room Tip: Always ask for a lake view room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank suem56

Dear "suem56",

Thank you very much for your feedback, which we value very much. I am certain that we will improve on the points that you have highlighted. Our culinary team work hard to ensure a high standard. We very much hope that you will visit us again at the Sheraton Hanoi on your next trip to Hanoi.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Sheraton Hanoi seems to be a pretty old hotel and would definitely deserve a renovation. It lacks all these 21st century technical features there is a wear or tear here or there ... but it has some "colonial charm" (it is like Singapore ... you can stay in one of those new 5-star hotel or you can stay in the historical Fullerton building).
The staff is well-trained, very polite and efficient. The Sheraton Club on the top floor is rather simple but nice.
The room was relatively large (with a large bathroom) and clean. The equipment is rather simple but everything was in a good working condition. The internet access is not rocket-fast but the speed is decent and it works reliably.
We decided to accept the offer to upgrade to the club room and it was definitely worth those few extra bucks.
The location of the hotel is not perfect but the taxis are cheap and it takes less than 10 minutes and ca. 4 USD to get to the Old Quarter or other "fancy" locations in Hanoi.
The room rates reflect the current condition of the hotel and are reasonable.
All-in-all we had an enjoyable stay in Sheraton Hanoi and would not hesitate to book it again..

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear "ED5611",

Once again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My partner and I were stayed at Sheraton Hanoi for 5 nights...just so so experience, not great as we expected. Room was ok, we got upgraded to suite which is very nice, spacious but a bit outdated. To be Asian, you will not get the same level of services with foreigners. What surprised me the most was when the hotel staff wanted to enter to your room ( housekeeping, room service or laundry) they will open the door and enter to the room without knocking or without asking for permission. Even 2 stars hotel, hotel staff need to knock the door first before enter to the room. The staff will check minibar at 9:30 am in the morning and of course without knock the door before enter to the room. Gym is a little bit old but ok. Hotel is on a good location, very nice restaurants around the hotel.

Room Tip: If you are SPG member , use the suite night to upgrade . Suite is much better.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
tetsish, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear "RJCC"

Thank you very much for taking your time to post on tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that our service was not up to your expectation and the staff enters your room without knocking or without asking for permission. We will have to work on this. We are glad that you liked the area around the hotel.

Again thank you very much for your feedback and we hope to have opportunity to welcome you back to Sheraton Hanoi in the future.

Warm regards,
Tien Nguyen
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This property is caught in the middle. It's not one of the quaint Old Quarter hotel nor is it one of the new ritzy downtown hotels. Having said that the hotel had its charms. Well laid out and majestic at times. Rooms are well appointed as you'd expect a Sheraton. Staff were friendly and thank heavens spoke good english. The best thing about the rooms were the fantastic views of the West Lake. It located not far from the Old Quarters and many popular bars and pubs are walking distance. (Wouldn't recommend the "dead" hotel bar though)

Food wise it was average. Pho doesn't compare to the street one I had ( then I didn't expect it to). Breakfast had all that you'd expect a buffet in a hotel of this standard. I was disappointed with the promoted and talked abut Wagyu steak in the Hemisphere restaurant.

Next time unfortunately I'm staying at the Old Quarter. Sorry not a fault of the hotel or the staff. Just that that's where the soul of the city is!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family